1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Threaded insert into existing concrete?

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I bought a new tubing bender and I’d like to anchor this one to the floor instead of bolting it to my welding table. Space is at a premium and I want to be able to move it. I do not want threaded rod sticking out of the floor when it’s not in place. Is there a threaded ‘insert’ option? Do they typically perform well? I’m hesitant to drill 4 bigass holes in my shop floor only to have the inserts pull out.

2. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I've used Hilti threaded inserts at work on many occasions and they work well. We use the epoxy versions and they react out many tons of load, but tear out is more a function of the concrete slab and bolt pattern than it is the anchor.

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Threaded inserts with 2part epoxy.

Also pics of new tool or we will forced to mail you bags of dicks...

TurboBlew, fastedyamaha and Phl218 like this.
  4. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

They use threaded inserts for car lifts so I imagine if you could use those, you'd be fine.

5. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

upload_2020-4-13_12-23-39.png

ScottyRock155 likes this.
  6. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

We use regular Hilti HDI-P which is a short drop in anchor. Since it's on the floor you may want to go with a deeper anchor just in case crap falls into it when you're not using. Depending on how good your garage floor is, you may want to investigate the epoxy set anchors. When I set some drop-ins on my patio for a post I ended up spalling a couple holes out. Plus, with the epoxy I don't believe you need a setting tool like you would with a drop-in.

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Thanks Heisenberg.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  8. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Get/make (cut the head off a bolt and put a slot in the end) some grub screws to put in the anchors when not in use.

beac83 and AC1108 like this.
  9. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I use the 2nd from the top of the mcmaster link for my bender. I only use it a few times a year, so it's easy to blow the holes out when dirt gets in there, or stick the shopvac nozzle over the hole. I need to make another plate with the same hole pitch for my cheapo tire changer as the stump I had it lag bolted too in the backyard finally rotted out enough lol.

10. Scotty87

Lol it’s on its way here. Pics when it gets here, I get enough junk mail.

11. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

What bender did you buy?

12. Scotty87

Exactly what I’m worried about. Lots of good info here tho, those from McMaster should do the trick.

13. Scotty87

JD2 model 32.

Britt and ScottyRock155 like this.
  14. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

ASS.

15. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

This. Make sure your concrete is heavyweight enough or a high enough PSI that you won't end up destroying it. If it were me, I would make sure your inserts are at least 4" apart and 4" from the slab edge.

16. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

We used to use a LOT of those drop ins as we were always moving cells around. Had about an 85% success rate with them because either your drill would walk or the hole would oblong, the concrete would flake, or after a few uses they would just loosen up. I would look at the epoxy ones first.

17. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

PERFECT new nickname!

18. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Or just plain old "Walter".

19. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  20. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Just used those redheads to mount my tire changer in my floor about a week ago. Haven't used it to test them out but seems stable enough. Drilling holes into concrete is a bitch but a little trick I used was when you hit a "dead spot" (where you're sitting there and the hammer drill is working but you're not making any progress), I would take a chisel and a mini sledge to break up whatever impediment it hit and that would get the wheels of progress spinning again.