1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on V6HW V7HW class structure

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Outsider V6 V7, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

Mike Burns and Mike Reid both raced the yzf's in the last few years. I believe Burns was stock but Reid had some trick stuff. If you like I can get you contact info.

2. TZRusty

TZRusty Well-Known Member

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There was a huge jump in ability/speed of the bikes at the current V7 year break. I'm really leery of opening it up to the same rules as the current bikes as they will be totally outclassed, just like they were when new(ish).

Dyle likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes email for sure and we've got some time.

5. Dyle

Dyle Glad its a new year!!

If it fills the grid I'm all for giving them a shot. The SRAD 750 was a monster and should be in 7HW but the SRAD600 wasn't all that. I mean I've been beaten up by 12yr old on a lot lesser and beaten bikes that I shouldn't have been near. That being said if a whole bunch of fast Suzuki's show up and just bet the hell out of us Hondas then maybe question it.
    But right now the field is bla with just the CBR or 748. However Chuck D did very well on his zx6, what year was it? What difference really was there between the ZX and the SRAD? If the ZX fits why no the SRAD even the non Fi F4s?

VFR#52 likes this.
  6. Dyle

Dyle Glad its a new year!!

I may even have an extra f3 for a willing person to try out some V7MW and V7HW racing with us and the legend Eboz.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The problem is one you let them in it is very hard to get them out. I know that in 98 even though we had more power on top with Brians ZX6 the GSXR's had no issues at all keeping up with him - yes that was Mark Junge and Josh Hayes but it still shows how capable the bikes were and could be - especially since V7 is superbike rules. The F3 wasn't even in the same world as those 600's.

Dyle likes this.
  8. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I know this is branching off into a 600MW discussion, but are you on board with the original idea of making V7HW and the AHRMA Next Gen 2 class match up, essentially letting the SRAD 750 into V7HW? I'm asking because it will affect my plans for the season and the opening rounds aren't that far away.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Give us a couple weeks and has anyone emailed that to me yet? We're going to have a meeting on either the 13th or 18th or something and can go over it all then.

10. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

I do get what you saying.
    But a carb Srad is not faster that what's already on grid.
    And guys are not going to spend the money to build a full on superbike of these bikes.
    I races against Bryan and even beat Josh on his 600 srad on my ZX6R at Wera races.
    Parts are not cheap to build super bike but the bikes are cheap and maybe we let the carb models in only.
    The reason Hondas didn't get raced is they dropped the contingency in 94 and nothing in 96.
    I raced 600s till 99 and went vintage after that.
    I do understand why you see this as an issue.
    Buy vintage guys wont spend big money to build a bike for Wera.
    The 750s Srad is another story
    Maybe SS trim for it and let it race.
    But we need to open up V7HW to get more people to come race.
    But some of the other bikes like YZF 750 in SS trim is a match for 750 Srad.
    The Ducks are faster than Srad 750 and YZF.
    But it's the rider who will make it successful.
    With more people on grid others will also want to race in vintage

Steven

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You think people won't fully Superbike one - I know better. I've seen it happen and then the class dies and then people want to change the rules to allow faster bikes and the cycle starts all over. If you beat Josh in 98 or 99 it wasn't on a 97 or earlier Kawi :D

Honda did drop money and that was a big factor but other than a full on FX bike they also just weren't competitive.

12. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

It was a 95 ZX6R.
    I'm actually searching for it now.
    Chuck sold it with a Muzzy bike a few yrs ago.
    So let you in on what's on grid in V7 now
    These are basically superbikes now with stock carbs.
    Hammond had the fastest motor.
    JT like me ran a stock bottom end with home ported heads and stock cams.
    Now I'm 1 mm over with aftermarket cams and stock carbs and home built.
    Hp is easy to make its making them handle is problem.
    Hammonds bike had HRC parts in it.
    And as I've said I raced against Nicky Haydens real Carry Andrew built srad 600 in Cmra.
    That bike made 112 to 116 from what I was told.
    You are correct when you look at what they did to run a SS back then.
    The reality is this vintage and no one will spend the money to build a bike you cant sell for 2000$.
    I lucked into my stuff because I'm a hoarder and had parts from my F3 from 90s and i bought out a guy building sprint cars and got all his parts super cheap long before I raced Wera.
    Vintage is cheap to race and rules never change so I do believe this will help get more riders on grid.
    And if someone fast digs his out well guess we will have to just get faster wont we?
    Besides I have a 97 Ex 4&6 ZX6R sitting in corner if I need.
    Honestly all we need to do is make sure they dont stuff a 750 motor in one and we good.
    Lol.
    Everytime I ask people to come race they say no one to race in class.
    JT told me that last night when I suggested he come back to V7.

Steven

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So once we allow in much faster machinery they'll change their excuse as to why they won't race :crackup:

Okay - people keep talking SRAD shit, how about an actual set of years? The marketing stuff isn't really helpful in writing rules.

14. ScottyRock155

GSXR 750 - 1996-1999, 96/97 had carbs, 98/99 were fuel injected.

Dyle likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay cool. Those make sense in HW since it's 1100 anyway. I really think doing the 98/99 600 is a bad idea.

Dyle likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And email me bitches!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crackup:

Dyle likes this.
  17. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Bahhhahahhaha
    I'm old and slow. There that is the facts.
    Lol
    Will email

Steven

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There are some like you who are realistic and love racing, there are others however that will always have another reason to not race because they don't want to admit they're old and slow :D I freely admit I would have been slow even when young so I got into officiating :D

Dyle and VFR#52 like this.
  19. TZRusty

TZRusty Well-Known Member

The YZF and FZ750's I'm building will be SS so we can race AHRMA and Spa classic. I'm NOT spending big bucks for a SB spec engine.

VFR#52 likes this.
  20. ScottyRock155

I can be slow but still want to be faster than the other slow guys. :D

RRP and VFR#52 like this.