1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on V6HW V7HW class structure

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Outsider V6 V7, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Chris corven

Chris corven Member

What class does the old 86 fit in? V6MW? Just try to understand where I fit in. Do I need to get a 1100 motor for it?

2. CLM81

CLM81 Well-Known Member

I dont think you need a 1100 engine. Just finish building what you want and go race it. I didnt see a lot of bikes in V6HW in the North Central races

VFR#52 likes this.
  3. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

Chris, if you look at the rules I copied from AHRMA and pasted on the previous page you'll see that the 1986 fits in nicely with my new V6HW proposal. So this gives you more than one organization to race in with the same bike against the same competition. This year AHRMA is running black hawk and WERA is running several Gratten, Blackhawk and VMD at Mid Ohio. I'm a yes to adding the 93-95 Suzuki GSXR 750 to this group but want to hear others opinions. So keep building the 750 and get out and get your license. Let me know what track you plan on going to and I'll try and find a seasoned vintage veteran to help you through your first weekend.

4. Chris corven

Chris corven Member

Got the bike finished and ran over 60 laps Gratten. Cant wait for the first race to get my license and have fun.

BGroutage and pscook like this.
  5. cowboy dann

cowboy dann Well-Known Member

Chris,If you are going to Grattan then I'll be there to help you out.I am a WERA tech official , riders school instructor and have been running Vintage 6 and 7 for 20+ years. I think we got you covered

Chris corven and VFR#52 like this.
  6. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

Thanks for stepping up Dann. Now go figure out why that VFR won't run.

VFR#52 likes this.
  7. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Dan you have my number dude.
    Feel free to call me if I can help.
    They are making some new items that will really help our VFRs out.
    Call anytime.

Steven

8. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I know "someone" that may or may not have been in a "high" speed chase with Barber security during that event. While riding the one off GP racebike known as the BS20.

Those were good times, and the racing was great.

9. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

I am all for working to get more riders for WERA vintage classes. I currently have a V6HW and V6MW that are ridable. Allowing more stuff in specific classes might help. I also completely agree with pulling in AHRMA stuff.

I'm wondering what would help bring in more vintage riders other than just rule changes. I'm trying to think outside the box. Would it make new vintage riders ride more if they were not on the track with newer better handling stuff? I am not advocating this if it goofs up the schedule or decreases vintage track time.
    Maybe WERA could set up a tent for vintage bike people to sit around, tell lies and drink beer! I'll contribute a couple cases!
    Maybe everybody that knows past vintage riders or potential racers can email them. Do it now (for bike prep) then in February to get going for the season.
    Maybe a guest speaker could give a short talk in the tent. I'm not talking about big names, just racers with history. This might be a way to get names and email addresses of those that might start racing. A sign up sheet is passed around. Every race I go to, I meet someone who is interested in racing themselves or who used to race.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    cowboy dann and VFR#52 like this.
  10. michael_chicago

michael_chicago Well-Known Member

YZF750 was sold 1994-1998 in the US. I believe the 98s were leftovers from 97.

11. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Great thread. Where does a BSA 500 cc single fit in? The rider is a heavyweight, but if Eboz is the standard, perhaps middleweight is more appropos.

Cheers,

Dave

12. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Just out of curiosity,how many of you V7 guys will be planning on the Summit round this summer? I havent raced WERA since 2015,but still have a race ready V7 bike or 3. I was planning on a RR break,but since we have a Summit round Im going to do that weekend. All this V7 talk,just wondering if it will end up being 1-2 guys on the grid.

13. CLM81

CLM81 Well-Known Member

I am only taking my 750 to a few races and as of now that is going to be one of them. If more people show up this year then I will have to figure a way to race 2 bike all year

dave3593 likes this.
  14. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

500 GP

15. Chris corven

Chris corven Member

Thanks Dan, Cant wait to get my License and hit a few races at Gratten and Mid Ohio and then Barber at the end of the year. Really looking forward to this season to race once again and have alot of fun.

16. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Trying to get my license this year. 25% chance. But ambition still outweighs ability.

Tried to get a few outsiders into racing. One wants to stick with flat track. Other complained about the expense. Showed him a local F3 running, titled for $600, and STG deal on a suit for $350(?). Still too much. Bah. Maaaybe can get him on a rental bike and suit for an N2 PIRC day.

17. britx303

The difference in cost between off-road/flatrack compared to Roadracing is seemingly astronomical if coming from off-road to road. I can Do the gate fees&pay for the race entries for my daughter,wife and I for what it costs just to drive through the gate at any road course facility. It’s not hard to see why dirt guys won’t roadrace now that we’ve done a few off-road/flatrack weekends.

18. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

I’d like to do it, but it is a loooong drive. I’ve got a couple friends up that way, and I really want to do the endurance on (one of the) SV’s. So we’ll see!

19. britx303

Totally understandable. I do hope it’s a fairly good turnout

20. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Lol... you only made it this far without mentioning points .. :D