1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on V6HW V7HW class structure

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Outsider V6 V7, Nov 21, 2019.

1. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Not really, I am more thinking of doing away with all of the individual small/old classes and making it 1 or 2 classes that will increase the number of bikes on the grid racing against each other. I think a simple tweak to the E class to allow the small vintage bikes in would make for another good race and a more interesting field. This is not about my bikes since I have bikes for V1 -5 and clubman in addition to the SV sitting in the garage.

When I started racing with WERA, there was no vintage. Then, vintage with WERA was under 500 and over 500 for the 2 vintage classes. I would think that something similar for the V1 - 4 and GP bikes would be good with a bump to E and clubman for a second or third race

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Soon as I do that all of the uncompetitive people in that new class will refuse to go racing.

3. kenessex

That is sad, but you are probably right, the uncompetitive want to have a special class where their particular bike is the best for the class, even if they get beat by better riders on worse bikes.
    I still think it would make it so much easier for the riders to not worry so much about the legality for a particular class, just show up, enter the class(es) your bike fits in and run.

4. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Sooooo - this is winter in Wisconsin...

JBall likes this.
  5. 2Big4Bike

2Big4Bike Well-Known Member

I thought something along those lines would be cool. Perhaps allow old kz400/440 (air cooled parallel twin boat anchor) and whatever Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki equivalent, with SB rules (17" wheel swap, maybe modernish brakes) to run with the modern liquid cooled 300 class. They will still be bendy and heavy-ish.

I'm 6"7" 250lbs and had a blast with a bone stock RC390 on track. I'd be interested in seeing what could be done with an old small capacity 1976-1982 kz400.

Potential problem might be in some rounds where V5 runs on track with the modern 300's...so schedule would have to be looked at.

Regards,
    Chad

6. 2Big4Bike

2Big4Bike Well-Known Member

Let me clarify...it would be a scheduling issue for me because I run V5 which is sometimes on track with the 300's. (yeah selfish)

7. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Speaking of uncompetitive people who want to go racing, did you decide to let the SRAD 750 into V7HW yet? :D

Dyle likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Working on it, sent the wrong file out last week and then got sick again. I never get sick twice in one off season, damn women got me tho :mad:

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay so on the whole schedule thing since people are sort of reading this... Need some input.

Other than Summit Point what I'm looking at is not scheduling 500GP up through V7HW on any weekend that would be a single days races. I'd keep V8MW and HW at all the rounds since it's more modern stuff anyway and has a different mindset. Summit Point we'd do all the classes since it's the only round up that way.

So for example the SE schedule looks like this -

2/15-16 Talladega Gran Prix Raceway, Talladega, AL-DH,rs,V,
    3/21-22 Roebling Road Raceway, Faulkville, GA-N,rs,
    4/11-12 Talladega Gran Prix Raceway, Talladega, AL-N,rs,
    5/16-17 Roebling Road Raceway, Faulkville, GA-DH,rs, V,
    5/30-31 WERA Cycle Jam at Road Atlanta, Braselton, GA-rs, V,
    7/4-5 Barber Motorsports Park, Birmingham, AL-DH,rs, V,
    7/18-19 Roebling Road Raceway, Faulkville, GA-N2,
    8/8-9 Talladega Gran Prix Raceway, Talladega, AL-DH,rs, V,
    9/5-6 Road Atlanta, Braselton, GA-DH,rs,V,

So the question is do I draw the line between V7 and V8 or do I go between V6 and V7 or just none of them including V8?

Dyle likes this.
  10. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

It seems that most V7 guys do only double headers. At least last few yrs.
    Me personally because of distance I do only double headers.
    Maybe others will have a say but I'm good with no single days.
    There are enough races to earn enough points.

Steven

Dyle likes this.
  11. cyclocrossfool

cyclocrossfool Well-Known Member

north central would lose the pittsburgh and the 8/29-30 nelson? i would still do the other 2 nelson and Summit point (southeast)

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Essentially yes. Pitt could be another exception given the track itself being a draw for some riders which is why I'm trying to get a feel for what people may want.

13. cyclocrossfool

cyclocrossfool Well-Known Member

pitt would be nice

14. kenessex

If you changed/performance indexed some classes, then the vintage bikes could race E/F/ clubman on the single day events if they wanted to run. That could also boost those grids a little.
    If my Ascot, aircooled 500 single, was allowed in E with superbike mods, I could run that and clubman.

15. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

Well if Jacobi and Junge are out there on 1000's in V8 I need to reconsider what I buy.

16. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Never heard of them.
    You got this come on out.

Steven

17. kenessex

Don't bring a knife to a gun fight. Get another 1000.

18. Eight Screws

Eight Screws Well-Known Member

V8 should probably have a hard year cut off the difference in a 98 1000 and a 2008 1000 is night and day, but until more than 3 people show up for a race it’s not really a race is it, so if it means there are more people to race against let’s keep it open

TLR67 and VFR#52 like this.
  19. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

In for V8 HW at Talladega....

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay, due to the overwhelming input I'm going with my first instinct which is V8MW and V8HW at all events, the other classes will be at events marked on the schedule with a V.