1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts from pilots...

Discussion in 'General' started by tl1098, Apr 17, 2020.

1. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

2. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Only restriction I know of over water is to stay 500ft away from stuff. Reads like he either wanted to or ran out of talent at the apex..

3. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Would it have been a violation to fly under that Tampa bridge?

4. baconologist

With a required 500’ bubble and only 180’ of clearance. I’d go with yes

5. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Isn’t there restrictions of where and how high you should be when performing aerobatic maneuvers?

6. baconologist

There are over ground, and people can get clearance to the surface. I’m not sure over water.

7. speedluvn

I wasn’t sure with the over water part either.

8. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Over water, you can do whatever you want, with regard to minimum altitude, except go supersonic (unless you’re far away from land).

This gentleman failed to maintain situational awareness and/or altitude in order avoid terrain. Or, in this case, water.

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 8.21.36 AM.png

[​IMG]

10. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

It was a sea plane.

cav115 likes this.
  11. speedluvn

Does that change anything?

12. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.
    Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

13. SteveThompson

The FAA doesn't generally get wound up about a sea plane being near the water.

Chris and speedluvn like this.
  14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

1) As dude had a history of abusing meds in his immediate past, he probably lied about it on his medical exam and should not have been granted an airman medical.
    2) He sure as Eff shouldnt have been flying with that many painkillers/amphetamines in his system...regardless.
    3) You can fly under a bridge if needed to land a seaplane. Many of you would be shocked by how little the FAA/Feds regulate airplane operations. But they did put in a clause we all call 91.13. thats the section that says they can fry you if you operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner. So to put it in motorcycle terms...you can do all the standup high chair wheelies you want away from people and stuff...but if you eff up and crash we can still cite you.

tl1098 and Photo like this.
  15. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Halladay ran out of brains and talent long before he ran out of balls. He paid the price for that.

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

17. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

Or........ it ain't a problem till its a problem!

18. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

This smells like a suicide . Drug levels 10 x normal.
    Other than that , that Icon 5a is a Bad Ass little plane

19. SteveThompson

I, personally, think Icon has some responsibility in this. I have spent almost a decade within 100 feet of their sales and marketing team. They promoted themselves as a PWC for the sky. They put no effort that I could see towards safe operation of their airplane. It was all about fun and excitement.

ChemGuy likes this.
  20. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

want to expand on this a bit more? Examples?