1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This should go over like a lead balloon... Is the AMA relevant?

Discussion in 'General' started by Cannoli, Jun 24, 2011.

?

Is the AMA relevant today?

1. Yes

105 vote(s)
    64.0%
  2. No

59 vote(s)
    36.0%
  1. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I have to admit, I don't watch AMA racing at all. Not since the year DMG took over anyway. After just a had full of races with DMG at the helm, I lost all interest.

Then with the economy tanking and several major manufactures bailing, that provided more reason to ignore the AMA. Don't get me wrong, if it's on TV and I'm flipping through channels, I'll watch, but I don't even DVR it anymore.

So besides being the "next step" for a successful club racer, is there any relevance in the AMA? Most of the fast guys have stopped racing in the series because theirs no money to be made. And the AMA isn't churning out the Haydens and Spies of the world as of late either so the world stage is a far shot out of the AMA as well.

Thoughts?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Relevant to what or who? Totally depends. To me, not really at this point. We've tried working with them on a number of things and they just can't get anything done. Other than changing some rules that took away a few of our National guys now that they have a club race class they really just have no effect on WERA.

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

I enjoy it.

4. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Relevant as a series, as "the next step", as the gateway to the world stage. Is it still the main path for a fast future superstar to make a name for him/her self or is something in Europe a better option?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  5. BigBird

BigBird blah

the only series that are really relevant right now is BSB and the Spanish Series

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The Barber round, well, I forgot about it until the day before it started. Advertizing is total crap lately. TV, well, I'm sorry but I'm not hanging around until whenever it comes on on Saturday and on Sunday night I'm out cold before it comes on. No, I'm not buying a Tivo to watch it, Tivo spies on you.

Roger damn near killed pro racing for the third time in the US, it's going to take a lot to get his smell off of it. Best of luck to DMG on that, I'm actually hoping you can do it.

7. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

As its the only US RR series thats televised,its still relevant
    And to me it aint really AMA anymore,its strictly just DMG...the AMA moniker only gives the series a false sense of continuity

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Based on the kids going from our WERA West stuff or National Challenge Series directly to Europe without competing a full season much less multiple seasons with AMA Pro I'd say it's no longer the main path for a rider. Granted that's not a totally new thing and there are a number of really good young riders still running AMA Pro. Only time will tell which path is actually the better/faster route.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You know, it's actually more so than years past in that case. In the past you could make an insane living by staying home and racing AMA. Now, you can get just as poor racing in WSS, WSK or MotoGP as you can by staying home.

I think you'll see more 'merican racers in foreign series than ever before and that's not a bad thing. :)

10. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Some of the best racing in years is going on in the DSB races. You're missing out.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Fixed.

I see racing that good at least once every weekend and normally many many times.

12. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

seriously! dsb is rockin right now.

13. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

DSB and its prior incarnation has been "rockin" since it was introduced back in 87

14. Demented

Demented Well-Known Member

In my eyes, AMA is only relevant in getting some exposure to racers in hopes that they can find a ride in BSB, CEV, or one of the FIM European series'. As for being relevant itself to getting people in the world's eye, not at all. I personally haven't watched any AMA racing since DMG started running AMA. Tarnished that series in my eyes. BSB and CEV are just more fun to follow and watch.

Even the CIV and IDM would be better for riders to get noticed than AMA. Just from what I've seen with riders moving up the ranks over the past few years from different series around Europe.

15. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

It cracks me up when guys who say they stopped paying any attention to AMA Pro more than two years ago, act as if they know what is going on now.

And when guys who aren't involved and have never done it, make statements regarding the best way to move a young American up. Trust me, I have learned a few things about doing that over the years.

Hey, I ran a pretty good program in WERA for 15 years. Won a lot. And then got more attention and new sponsor support from winning an AMA Pro 750cc Supersport race at Daytona (with Josh Hayes) than we did in all those 15 years with WERA. Even today in bad economic times, the available support for an AMA Pro program (for teams and riders) is light years ahead of the available support for a WERA program. That's just a fact. As I am sure Mark Junge will also tell you.

I love WERA and count myself as one of WERA's strongest advocates. But I can't control the racing universe, all I can do is react to reality. If you want to race professionally in the U.S.A., here and now, you have to be in AMA Pro. Period.

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

i'll take it from someone with actual sponsors and a winning team...i do love ama racing and i became a real die hard last year.

17. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

^^^Very well said imo.

I follow at record WSB, GP, and AMA. I have to be honest and say that I enjoy the AMA 600 races as much or more than any race. The are action packed from beginning to end. AMA Superbike races are not as fun with the exception of the latest Barber race, as most races have one or two guys check out within a couple of laps. I think the telecasts have also been better lately with interviews etc. included in the racing.

18. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Those of you who haven't watched AMA racing since the DMG takeover are really missing some fantastic racing action on TV.

Seriously, give it a chance. I've found it more exciting than WSBK and GP's this year.... by a longshot.

Can't comment on BSB since I still haven't found a way to watch those races... legally.

19. cobra2497

cobra2497 Well-Known Member

:stupid:

20. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Was that a crack at me? Because I never claimed to "know what's going on" now or then, for that matter.

What I do know is what I enjoy watching, and for the last few years the AMA hasn't been it.

And it's nothing against the racers or teams involved, It's because I have a deep hatred for NASCAR and anything related or appears to be related to NASCAR. When DMG took over, they should have called it NASBIKE. If things changed they've done a poor job at promoting those changes.