1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is what it's like to take a vacation away from white people

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by YamahaRick, Dec 9, 2018.

1. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Daytona Beach has become really bad with the homeless. Every year there is a conference in DB that my wife attends. For years she would run at 0 dark thirty, unarmed as it was pretty safe. That ended quickly a couple years ago one tried to get in her way. She doesn't even run in the neighborhood without carrying now.

2. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Your experience is the complete opposite of hers. You grew up in an insular community in big city. She grew up being both racially and religiously apart from everyone she could see . I'm sure she was bullied daily because of it

I can tell you can't relate to her situation.

As far as interacting with other minorities around here, she's got that covered, since she does modeling and works at one of the giant international corporations here on the west side.

You would need to go live in N ID for a few years to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

3. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

You are confusing yourself. You stated she moved to Portland and it was the same as Idaho. I said I did not believe that to be the case in Portland and offered examples as to why it wasnt. I did not make a single statement negating her experience in Idaho. I was purely talking about Portland. Then you Broomed your way past that and ignored what my comment was about to begin with. Read again slower maybe?

And yeah, I got shipped off to the white schools later on so I get it. Rich white kids didn't take to me well and the kids from back in the hood turned on me. Which caused me to resent just about all races for a few years. But, again. That wasn't the direction of my comment at all now was it?
    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

badmoon692008 likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Rich white kids never liked me either.

5. shakazulu12

Maybe shouldn't have been sharing your plans to destroy roadracing at such a young age?

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Best I can tell I should have been more into their choice of clothing and where they hung out rather than ignore them and read whatever book I had at the time. I also lived in the wrong neighborhood a good part of the time. Also to be fair rich black kids weren't fans of mine either :crackup:

I didn't even know roadracing existed then.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Ignorance is no excuse.

8. shakazulu12

Funny how kids are worse than adults like that. Admittedly I wouldn't go back and change the experience though. Made me a better man as an adult honestly.

9. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I believe i understand the enhanced comfort of being around people who are similar to me, but i also believe that failing to interact with those who are different (racially, politically, etc.) is horrible for society.

The internet, particularly places like forums, create “safe spaces” for people with common beliefs and interests. That may not be the intention, but it’s a real consequence. This “motorcycle racing forum” is a fair example. It’s mostly white guys with disposable income.

I would love to pat us all on the collective back for being open minded and accepting of diverse ideas, but the fact is we largely reinforce each other's existing beliefs and biases, and the tendency is to take that experience and think, “see! Everyone agrees with me.”

I don’t hear any “radical” ideas being kicked around here (...maybe in the dungeon. I kid.), but that is how radical ideas gain momentum. 1 idiot in a sheet is an idiot. 100 is a Klan. The internet gives us all a 24/7/365 network of people who will endorse our worst ideas.

Seems like segregated vacations are the real-life manifestation of that. Kind of ironic, considering how hard Dr. King and so many others worked for integration.

K51000 likes this.
  10. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

This place may ""insulate the alike"" a bit, but I think that most other social media does it to an exponentially higher extent. I will not unfriend people on FB no matter how fucktarded their views as I choose not to live in an echo chamber. No matter how idiotic someone's belief system may be, there's still an off chance that you might learn something from them, if only what NOT to do.

Still, many people I've known our whole lives have unfriended me just for my views on basic questions. The left leaning among us DO NOT LIKE to hear anything containing logic... anything that requires thinking past one level of consequence... anything that upsets their extremely delicate 'feelz'.

Sad.

crashman, stk0308 and Fencer like this.
  11. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

scottn and Fonda Dix like this.
  12. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Ya, it is pretty sad. I don't spend much time on FB but it does seem like there is getting to be alot more of the "and if you don't agree with me just unfriend me" attitude. Remember way back when you could disagree about politics and still be civil with each other...

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Same here. Had great times growing up, had some truly horrible times as well. They all go together to make me who I am and I'm totally good with that.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

This kind of crap is more than just politics though, it's an entire way of viewing life. And for the most part you wouldn't hang with those people in person so why would you online?

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

I’d love to take a vacation away from white people.
    Well all people actually but whites are at the top of my list. :D

Steeltoe and Banditracer like this.
  16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Thats the weird thing. These are people I knew before social media and they are decent people. I think that the ability to hide behind a keyboard and know that you will not get punched in the mouth has alot to do with it. 2 generations who have had life pretty easy with nothing really to complain about has allowed people to spend more time in the minutiae and find things to complain about too.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed, I think people spew way more of their real selves on the internet than they ever would in a normal social interaction. Makes it great for me, now I know for sure I don't want to interact with for sure whereas before I didn't have an excuse to avoid them :D