1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of Getting a 2T and Have a Few Questions

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by KrooklynSV, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Yard Sale

Yard Sale premix huffer

I don't know what you can get away with. That's what I get away with on a track that's part tight, part fast. Tighter tracks should be easier on equipment (lower revs). I ran my bike at Miller (fast, sustained revs) so I'll be replacing parts sooner. I talked to a guy at Infineon who had 800 miles on his TZ top end.

It would be easy to just replace the top end when piston-cylinder clearance gets too large, but the service interval isn't just for that kind of wear. It's also for unseen/unmeasureable stress on the piston, which can develop cracks and shatter.

I thought about running Wiseco forged pistons from a VJ22 or YZ125 to extend the top end interval, but they cost twice as much and in the end I'd be saving only labor/time, not money.

Shit happens. My Aprilia RS250 blew up catastrophically on its first lap after a crank-up rebuild. My considerably older and supposedly more fragile and finicky TZ250 just keeps on going like the Energizer bunny. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

2. RDJeff

RDJeff Well-Known Member

Buy my 125 for $3000 and go racing! Work on your corner speed on it, and you can transfer that to a bigger bike and really whup up on the big guys!

3. Coke in can

Coke in can Banned

Very well put post. I too have had a terrible failure on a motor that had three heat cycles on it.

4. JZ

JZ Well-Known Member

I was looking for the +1 guy but could only find :stupid: ...;)
    I concur.. :up:

:clap::clap::clap:

I really loved running the 125 but in advanced it was difficult to keep the bike boiling and if you rolled off for a second your buddies were gone.

You'll find the same with the cup bike

In capable hands the Cup bikes move!.... In capable hands the 125s absolutely RAIL!!!

The kids on the 125's made me look like a fool.

I just don't have the skills man!!! :bow::bow:

I did enjoy my cup bike and it was basically a jet and forget bike. You'd get a season out of the top end and 2 out of the crank. I always ran leaded fuel in though.

I think it was less taxing mentally and physically to run the 125 at full tilt (my full tilt) :eek:.
    And in the rain...........the 125 KILLS!!!

I ran Beaverun in advanced on my 125 against a well ridden cup bike. We had a blast! It was like Rossi and Biaggi in days gone by. We bang back and forth, drafting on the straights Slipping it in at the carousel and again through the shoot or up the hill. Guys would come in and say.." I was going to pass you guys but I had too much fun watching you guys battle". If I jetted for max I could just walk away a bit on the straight but, I would get into the carousel first and he would proceed to stuff pass me into the carousel and I'd have to come off the pipe to keep from jamming up his poop. Then I had to clutch it up the hill for a drag race back into 1. We were running 1:05's and 6's
    Anyway....

RDjeff is right..... Do a 125 and learn to flog it! you'll be a much better rider for it

TDub has 2 up for sale right now and their priced right

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  5. JZ

JZ Well-Known Member

oops........ Sorry there Jeff :eek:

I thought I read Buy "A" 125 .......... can't edit the plug now :stupid:

Buy Jeff's 125 ......... :up:

6. RDJeff

RDJeff Well-Known Member

Yeah, somebody buy it! I need to pay for all the 250 parts that are on the way!:rock:

7. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

seriously dude.. that's the biggest bunch of made up bullshit I have ever read. Sounds like you have owned a 2 stroke for about a week and just repeated bits and pieces of crap you have read in some magazine. Kit and street don't belong in the same sentence and just dumping some avgas (no one uses avgas in a bike) does not give you 80hp like magic

PS you RGV makes 50 hp max and has nothing in common with an actual GP bike

8. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

Wow. Nothing like bringing back an old thread to lay some smack down. :D

Just as an update, I ended up getting a Honda RS125 and love it. My laptimes get better every time out and would advise anyone who's considering one to take the plunge. :beer:

9. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

:up:

10. soarertt

soarertt I hate electric legs

There has been endless arguments about Yamaha and Honda owners crying that the RGV isn't a true "GP" bike because it was sold as a street bike.

It is. Get over yourself. It makes the same HP and lap times as the same era TZ and RS. It's just as light when street trim is removed. It won just as many races in 250GP as any other 2 stroke. The engine is still used today in Moto racing in the Aprilia.

The only difference between *my* kitted engine and a 90's race bike is the squish. I like running pump gas. My heads, barrels, carbs, exhaust are all factory racing suzuki kit parts. My ECU is an aprilia cup bike which is identical to the suzuki race unit but easier on the timing for pump gas.

Currently the fastest lap time and highest HP 250cc in Europe is a Kawasaki KR1s.

Deal with it.

11. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

Sorry, but that's the biggest load of shit I've read in a good while. I'll just touch on the HP and not even address your claim on weight, which is another thing altogether.

Let's compare the "true" HPs, which are below.

http://www.factorypro.com/dyno/true1.html

We'll use the Ape RS250 instead of the RGV.

Aprilia 250, street legal (with aftermarket exhaust and supposedly "stock" engine) ~ 48 - 52 True HP

Honda, rs250,98, stockish ~64-68 True HP

Yam, tz250,91-98, stockish ~64-70 True HP

12. vince224

vince224 Well-Known Member

i don't?? have you been secretly entering my garage at night and replacing the 100LL w/ something else?? :rolleyes:

i use it, it works in my '00 TZ250, and it's SUPER cheap compared to anything else other than pump gas...

AV = $4.50/gal
    Q16 = $16/gal
    C12 = $10/gal

...and fwiw, i dont think my bike runs too badly speed-wise...

vince
    :D

13. vince224

vince224 Well-Known Member

fixed it for ya... ;)

vince
    :D

14. soarertt

Wow let's pick and choose words to make up shit.

I am not talking about "street legal" RS250's or RGV's. I'm talking about a race prepped bike. Factory restrictions removed, real suzuki parts installed.

And yes.. 100LL works great in 2T's. It's the fuel of choice. The Euro guys know just a bit more then us yanks when it comes to this sort of thing, sorry.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  15. soarertt

...And don't say "Cup Bike". An Aprilia cup bike is a bone stock standard spec RGV engine from 1991. 55hp

16. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

55hp on what dyno? I'd like to see the RS and the TZ on the same dyno. I'm sure you'll see the RGV is at least 10hp down on them.

17. soarertt

If a standard tune RGV isn't making 55bhp, there's something wrong with it.

18. charles

charles The Transporter

Well, interesting and controversial...so, fill me in, how many 250 GP races did the Suzuki win? Maybe I missed something, but I don't remember seeing any Suzukis 250s winning 250GP World Championships.

By the way, if you were making reference to genuine 250GP bikes/racing, do you believe your Suzuki RGV250 has the identical components as a Suzuki factory 250GP bike? Apparently you do, except, of course, for the 'squish' (to acccomodate the pump gas) and 'easier' timing.

I've been over to the UK and keep informed about their vintage racing scene. I do not recall seeing that the Kawi KR1 holds lap records. Could you please give me more specifics on this regarding the tracks and clubs/events?

Thanks,
    Charles

19. soarertt

20. charles

charles The Transporter