1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about the track - costs??

Discussion in 'General' started by BobbyGrand, Jun 11, 2012.

1. BobbyGrand

BobbyGrand Well-Known Member

So I'm finally getting fed up of the street, too many cars, I over heat in my leathers waiting in traffic / stop lights etc... so I have been doing some research into track days. My question is how much do you guys actually spend (not including the bike) to race for the season. I would like to get into the habit of doing a 2 day session once a month for the summer months. Im pretty sure the closest track to me is NJMP, Im located in southern CT.

Any insight would be great.

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

3. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

track day or racing? Seems like your looking to do track days, but you ask about racing cost.

Track day - $300 for the weekend (roughly)
    gas - to and from + for bike/generator - $100
    hotel - $100

I live in chicago, and attended STT at grattan this past weekend, it was close to $500.

4. Al-

Al- Well-Known Member

there is a difference (and a difference in cost) between track days and racing for a season. Which one do you intend to do?

5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Track Days, Racing.... It dosent matter.... You got the right last name!!:up:

6. BobbyGrand

I apologize - I mean cost to attend a track day, certainly not race just yet, but hopefully in the future.

So around $500 for the weekend - that's not too bad.

I will skim through the forum to do more research.

Appreciate the input.

7. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

thats not including tires, factor that in every so often as well

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

even the most expensive track days are cheaper than pesky traffic citations.

You can save money by camping, bringing your own food, or splitting costs with 1-2 other peeps.
    Buy takeoffs from racers for cheap.

9. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Depends on how fast you want to go, and how often you ahve to change tires

Seems a good rule of thumb for a middle of the road "fast" trackday pace, or "budget" race pace is going to be about $800 per weekend (less if you prorate tires out a few weekends). Want to go faster? it will cost you. Want to save money? You will not be able to go as fast likely. In general.

10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Carpool, Camp at the track, and do your own food....

Those things alone can double your schedule...:up:

11. BobbyGrand

my only issue is the closest track is nearly 200 miles away. But you are right a pesky traffic citation is 100% more expensive.

12. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Purchase your trackday passes in advance and buy multiple days if available.
    Start of the year I can buy 4-5-6 days for $100/day. Individually they're $120-$150/day.
    My slow ass pace I can get 6-7 days out of a rear tire.

13. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I do 410 miles round trip to Willow Springs. Leave @ 4:30AM, home @ 9:00PM.
    Knackered.com

14. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Heck I just did last Monday and Tues at Mid-Ohio from Atlanta.... 200 Miles is nothin.... Especially at 6MPG...:eek:

15. the muffin man

the muffin man certified hymen inspector

biggest expense for is tires. they are getting more expensive, and the faster you go, the faster they wear out. and of course, you are always gonna want to go faster, so thats not gonna make it any cheaper. having your own changer helps there, but only on the mounting/balancing costs. bottom line, this is an expensive ass hobby.

16. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

NJMP is usually right around $200 a day. There's really no way around it (as far as discounted early pricing)

I would say you could maybe do it for 700-800 a weekend... I usually allow about $1000 per weekend to have some room for the unexpected, and I'm pretty tight.

17. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

+1
    200 miles is considered close for many people:up:

18. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Are yu talking Louden or NJMP? Both are within your reach being in Conn. If it's Louden, PM Johnny B. here on the forum...that's his world and he can give you the specifics of the place.

19. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Not counting the cost of the trailer (1/2 ownership), bike, mods to the bike and such, etc. I just drove to Road Atlanta (10+ hours) and raced two races, for about 1300.00. That includes one set of tires, food, drinks, a cooler, ice, beer, gas, smokes, bbq:D...pretty much everything. I could've done more races to spread the cost of track time vs. expenses a little better, but now I can use my tires for the next weekend of racing too.

At the last round at Summit Point (my home track) I did two races on older tires,(slicks and won both), for about 550.00 total.

20. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

i shoot for $400 per trackday incl tire costs, gas, food, etc etc. the track i frequent most often is $135-175 per day and is 235mi away. i save $$ by camping at the track and not driving 85mph. tires are getting more and more expensive the closer i get to mid-pack race pace, but improving my setup and throttle control as helped to diminish any aggressive tire wear.