1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

They haven't even found the pane yet....

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by 2Fer, Mar 27, 2014.

1. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

2. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

The airline is a "common carrier." It's a strict liability industry. The passengers will "win." Really, they will settle it out of court with the airline's insurance company. I'm sure there is already case law regarding how much each family will get.

The suit against Boeing is very premature. Without an aircraft recovered, they can't even begin to prove that Boeing's aircraft was remotely responsible for the crash. And even if they had evidence that the crash was caused by a mechanical failure, Boeing has a strong defense if they simply point back to the airline and say "this wasn't maintained properly."

The families will get paid, and I'm not too upset by that. Airlines carry insurance for situations precisely like this.

3. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

My father, an aviation engineer, served as an expert witness in many airplane crash suits. It is standard practice to take the shotgun approach and sue everybody. Even when the manufacturer is absolutely not culpable, it is generally cheaper for them to settle than to go to trial. Thank you lawyers.

4. mtmansl

mtmansl Well-Known Member

This is why Tort Reform needs to be addressed...

5. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

+1 on the Tort Reform.
    Fucking ambulance chasers.

6. Falcondrvr

Falcondrvr Well-Known Member

:stupid:

Just another reason why general aviation is dying.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

While yeller ferrari sales are through the roof!

8. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

[sarcasm]Yeah f the small guy. He shoulda known what he was getti into getting on a plane. [/sarcasm]

9. nigel smith

The small guy seldom wins where lawyers are involved. On an individual basis some may receive a substantial settlement. The overall affect of frivolous lawsuits is to increase everyday costs for the common man. There was a time when anyone with sufficient desire could own and fly a plane. General aviation is now pretty much in free fall.

10. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Which pane are they looking for, one from the cockpit?

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

That typo is bugging me, Broome must be really annoyed.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

He would be if he knew how to spell.

13. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

Does he even post in the Dungeon?

14. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

We will not find the plane until we start with our best resources. Put this guy on the job:
    [​IMG]

15. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

International ambulance chasers, nice!

16. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

Not saying it isn't needed, but how is Tort reform in the US going to affect lawsuits in Malaysia.

Were there even any US citizens on the plane? How would non-US citizens flying on a Malaysian carrier be able to sue in US court. The only US link is Boeing, so maybe that's why these POS's are including them

17. nigel smith

As I said, it is standard practice in aviation lawsuits to sue anybody who so much as ever laid a finger on the aircraft. Boeing has deep pockets and is an attractive target.

18. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Native of Dallass was on the plane.