1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.. 40 years.

Discussion in 'General' started by peakpowersports, Nov 10, 2015.

1. cowboy dann

cowboy dann Well-Known Member

2. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

41 years tomorrow.. Time to rock the Gordon Lightfoot and have a cold one for all those boys.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    Hawk518 likes this.
  3. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Imagine the force it takes to do this: ed.jpg

Hawk518 likes this.
  4. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

5. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

No doubt. Watch the movie The Finest Hour and it really brings into prospective the force the seas have.

6. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

7. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Was Trigglypuff in that boat?

8. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

at 7 pm a main hatchway caved in...

9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

[​IMG]

t11ravis likes this.
  10. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

11. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

tdelegram likes this.
  12. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

41 years ago. My last winter in Michigan. (Does that make me old ?)

13. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Why was I expecting this to be a thread about Dustin ?

14. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

No disrespect meant by this statement, but other than the 29 lives lost....why is this wreck of such significance, over other boating accidents where lives were lost, to justify a song, movies, yearly rememberance, meauseum exhibits, etc??
    Again, I mean absolutely no disrespect or attitude in this question....truly just trying to understand / learn.

15. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I think it's mainly due to the mystery of how it disappeared so quickly without a trace or distress call.

That and Gordon Lightfoot's song.

Modern science has apparently answered the questions of how and why it went down, but the song remains.

16. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

This is the 1970's version of "The Perfect Storm", with this version popularized by a period notable musician.
    Twenty nine mariners were lost to a situation that no one would have predicted. The community of commercial mariners operating on the Great Lakes is small, which made it very significant in the community.
    It was scheduled as a routine trip transferring a commodity from point to point, on a Very Big Boat. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Edmund_Fitzgerald
    The weather went from the almost normal, to Hurricane conditions (record low pressures) in a few hours. This created huge waves, which revealed some flaws in the design and/or build of the VBB.
    The crew made some mistakes, not securing every hatch latch IAW SOP. The captain tried to run, and unknowingly steered over uncharted shoals, which magnified the wave energy, further stressing, and possibly damaging the VBB. Post accident analysis revealed that his best option might have been to slow, and steer a conservative course.
    These details were (most likely) not known or understood, at the time. Like most accident scenarios the details were not clear to those involved, as the situation developed.
    The song reveals their ultimate destiny, creating a dooming scenario for those learning the story through the song.
    A romantic tale of the sea, with a tragic twist.

Thistle likes this.
  17. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

The same questions could be asked about The Titanic and The Lusitania.

One is romanticized in the media while the other is mostly consigned to the history books.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

One was taken out by an iceberg, the other was carrying arms and sunk by a submarine... Slight difference to the general public. I think the main thing the Titanic has going for it is the maiden voyage thing and having a bunch of the famous people of the day on it as well as being the biggest afloat in a time where it was the pinnacle of travel.

stk0308 likes this.
  19. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Titanic was un-sinkable, it sunk. Lusitania was passenger ship sunk by U-boat when we were not at war. The edmund was the largest, most well known boat on the lakes and sank in a memorable storm without a trace for a long time.

20. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Actually, it was found 4 days later.