1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The unofficial official "SMMFH" thread

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by pickled egg, Sep 16, 2017.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

2. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

They both worked at the school in addition to outside jobs to pay their tuition. They worked as setup and maint. men. They saw how pre arranged meetings were cancelled to give a room to muslim org meetings; they saw protests (laying on floor, blocking hallways) were allowed for muslim groups but no others. And if you complain about said protest because you can`t get to class? You are written up. That`s a start. So they were, in essence, sponsored by the school. They were the only ones.

3. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

And if that is what was actually happening - then it is wrong and they had grounds for recourse.

cav115 likes this.
  4. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

5. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

They aren't the type to b**** about it but is very prevalent.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We did as part of social studies and maybe history classes. Not a huge part of them but it is part of day to day life so it made sense. Nothing was pushed just basic facts of how holidays of different religions were celebrated and why.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So we shouldn't have Christmas and Easter breaks or let Jewish kids out for their holidays right? Because both things happen all the time. I used to wonder if I could be Jewish to get more days off since the school already covered most Christian stuff already. Christians could get out for Ash Wednesday and some others if they wanted/needed to. Nothing new just a different religion.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why is that a bad thing? Schools have gone more towards year round schooling which has changed some of the more standard easter and xmas breaks but they still have them.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Because the treatment for Christians is ingrained and so prevalent that it doesn't stand out. Granted if you really want to delve into it paganism is celebrated regularly - by Christians who took over their celebrations... :D

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I'm curious about this message they are conveying. As I said in an earlier post, if Muslim students are given special treatments allowing for their religious observations that other students are not for their respective religions then I agree that that is wrong. I'm assuming then that this school does not put up any decorations or puts forth any sense of occasion during the Christmas holiday for instance? If they do, then the tone of this article is a bit hypocritical.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The retailers want their employees to say Happy Holidays to be inclusive and not stigmatize ANY religion. Nothing wrong with that. Christians however get their panties all wadded up because they truly and wrongly believe that it's their holiday. It'd be like getting pissed at people not saying Happy Saturnalia instead of Merry Christmas, after all it was that long before Black Baby Jesus was born.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

This is about one issue.
    Teachers facilitating one religion in school.
    It has nothing to do with days off or decorations.
    It really isn't a difficult concept to understand.

14. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

It's not stigmatizing anything. It's people that want to be offended because someone had the audacity to say "Merry Christmas". It's the social awkward people that need attention, nothing more, nothing less.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Evidently it is difficult for you because that isn't remotely what this is about. It's about including other religious views on top of those already included in schools currently.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't disagree, it is stupid. From a corporate mentality regarding selling crap though it makes sense to be inclusive to all. Those decisions I understand. The people making a big deal about it one way or the other is just stupid people wanting attention, kind of like those making a big deal out of allowing Muslims children to worship as their religion asks them to do.

17. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, I don’t agree nor disagree with the article. Doing that would likely take more research . I posted it because it came out today and seemed along the lines of this discussion.

18. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Huh?

Christians and others are not permitted those protests or special treatment. It is in no way equal treatment.

There is no trace of any other religion visible in the school.

Mention it.....you are written up.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Neither I or Mike were talking about your specific case with your kids and their school. However, as I have shown repeatedly, Christians and Jews get special treatment for their holidays and worship days all the time. They're so ingrained into our society that they are the norm now and no one considers them special but it doesn't change that they are. Sundays off. All major Christian holidays off. It's all special treatment for religious reasons. And there is nothing wrong with it.

As for your specific case I'd need to know a lot more about what got moved or cancelled to allow for religious things, it could have been something they had to do to make sure all religions are covered equally.

20. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Misunderstanding.

They don`t make allowances for any other religion,, not allowed on grounds. popular in many colleges. The boys were both managers who set all meetings, but were over ruled for only one religion. Take it for what it`s worth.