1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The unofficial official "SMMFH" thread

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by pickled egg, Sep 16, 2017.

1. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

In the land of stupid Trump bashing, MSNBC contributor Eli Stokols is upset that Trump called for the death penalty for the ISIS truck driver but not the Las Vegas shooter. Just wow.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

That was in GQ. Saw it linked to daily caller but I won't link them.

3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

It's just the new normal. Demonize him for anything he says, demonize him for anything he doesn't say, demonize him for anything he does, demonize him for anything he doesn't do, etc.

4. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

FWIW - sounds exactly like when Obama or Bush was in office too. The world was going to end if Bush got elected to a second term and some people were convinced Obama was never going to vacate the office. So it's starting to be the old normal, you maybe just forgot because you likely spent the last 8 years as part of it.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. Always makes me laugh the same people who believe that when proven wrong because the world didn't end still don't believe in the system.

6. In Your Corner

The stats are out there.
    Prove your point.

7. In Your Corner

How's that insurance working for you?
    Seems the system changed, and not for the better.
    I have no doubt if we looked back to pre-Obamacare time, you were singing the same tune.
    Everythings the same. Everyone's the same.
    Nothing ever changes.

Until it does, like Obamacare.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Please pay attention for once, I never said it was better. I said the world didn't end. Obama fucked a few things up pretty badly but overall congress passed the law and while he was bought and paid for so were they.

The world however isn't ending even if I have a large chunk of my income that is no longer usable by me...

9. Chino52405

WTF are you talking about? You bring up a subjective argument and then respond asking for stats?

I'm not sure I have ever seen a breakdown of how the the stat of "Demonize" is calculated...o_O

10. In Your Corner

Because it isn't subjective, it's obvious.
    No President has been treated like Trump, not even Nixon.

11. In Your Corner

Here, even NPR can't gild this lily.

http://www.npr.org/2017/10/02/55509...trump-more-negative-than-for-other-presidents

Compared to other recent presidents, news reports about President Trump have been more focused on his personality than his policy, and are more likely to carry negative assessments of his actions, according to a new study from the Pew Research Center's Journalism Project.

Researchers studied news stories from the early months of Trump's presidency, determining whether each story evaluated Trump overall in a positive or negative light. If a story had at least twice as many positive as negative statements, Pew said it had an overall positive assessment of the president. The reverse was also true for stories with a negative assessment.

Fully two-thirds of news stories about Trump from his first 60 days in office were negative by that definition — more than twice the negativity seen in stories from the first 60 days of Bill Clinton, George W. Bush or Barack Obama's presidencies.

Meanwhile, only 5 percent of stories about Trump were positive, compared to 42 percent for Obama.

bad news 01.png

bad news 02.png

12. In Your Corner

A new report from Harvard Kennedy School’s Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics and Public Policy analyzes news coverage of President Trump’s first 100 days in office.

The report is based on an analysis of news reports in the print editions of The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and The Washington Post, the main newscasts of CBS, CNN, Fox News, and NBC, and three European news outlets (The UK’s Financial Times and BBC, and Germany’s ARD).

Findings include:

• President Trump dominated media coverage in the outlets and programs analyzed, with Trump being the topic of 41 percent of all news stories—three times the amount of coverage received by previous presidents. He was also the featured speaker in nearly two-thirds of his coverage.
    • Republican voices accounted for 80 percent of what newsmakers said about the Trump presidency, compared to only 6 percent for Democrats and 3 percent for those involved in anti-Trump protests.
    • European reporters were more likely than American journalists to directly question Trump’s fitness for office.
    • Trump has received unsparing coverage for most weeks of his presidency, without a single major topic where Trump’s coverage, on balance, was more positive than negative, setting a new standard for unfavorable press coverage of a president.
    • Fox was the only news outlet in the study that came close to giving Trump positive coverage overall, however, there was variation in the tone of Fox’s coverage depending on the topic.

13. In Your Corner

bad news 04.png

President Donald Trump is on his way to surpassing a record set by President Bill Clinton — that of favorite late-night target.

According to the Center for Media and Public Affairs at George Mason University, Trump was the subject of 1,060 jokes in his first 100 days in office. That puts him on course to exceed the number of jokes told by late-night hosts about Clinton in 1998, the year of the Monica Lewinsky scandal. That year, Clinton was the target of 1,717 quips, the most of any individual during the years tracked by the center (from 1992 to 2012).

Trump’s total since taking office rises to 1,530 when combined with the number of digs about his family members and members of his administration.

According to the director of the center, Robert Lichter, the 1,060 jokes about Trump in his first 100 days are more than recent presidents drew in their entire first year. Barack Obama was the target of 936 jokes during that time frame; George W. Bush was the subject of 546 quips, and Bill Clinton was the topic of 440 jabs.

Late-night TV has gotten more political, and in some cases more partisan, since Trump took office. Stephen Colbert’s ratings have risen since the inauguration, eclipsing those of his chief rival Jimmy Fallon.

The study showed that Colbert told the most jokes about Trump, 337, followed by Trevor Noah, 315, Fallon, 231, and Jimmy Kimmel, 177.

The investigation covered a total of 2,094 political jokes from the opening monologues of “The Late Show With Stephen Colbert,” “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon,” “The Daily Show With Trevor Noah,” and “Jimmy Kimmel Live!”

Trump jokes were nearly triple the number told about Democrats, 95, and Republicans, 290, combined.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/trump-late-night-joke-target-stephen-colbert-1202409838/

14. Chino52405

The stats you posted show that Republicans won in this election cycle with a hugely polarizing figure during an explosion of media. How does any of that equate to "demonize" and have you considered Trump's entire persona is shock value?

3487 - this is the number most impacting the non-stop coverage of Trump and he adds to it at a rate of over 12 per day since taking office.

15. In Your Corner

I proved my point, you proved nothing.
    I won't waste more time on this with you.

16. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Your position requires the assumption that this president is no different in his actions/behaviors/public presentation than any previous one.

That is the flaw in your argument.

BigBird likes this.
  17. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

While many of us believe that Trump is an asshole and an attention whore it does not change the fact that the press is focusing on personality instead of policy. And the bias of the media is ridiculous. Trump could find a miracle drug that cures cancer, aids malaria and alzheimers and the media would have trouble deciding whether to run a story about why he could have done more or the poor doctors that have been put out of work...

18. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

All that info about the media is true.

However, no president in history has walked around with a "kick me" sign that he taped to his own back 24x7. This shit is a black swan.

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Dude. The character assassinations began long before he went nuts on twitter. Nixon was not insulted as much as Trump has been. The flaw is in your perception,

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Just curious, are you familiar with Sinclair Broadcast Group (I think that's the name) and what they've been doing in the past year? You guys are acting like Trump doesn't have his supporters in the media. I could be wrong on the details but I think they have something like 193 local stations in 80 cities. Pro-Trump content and editorials on local news (e.g Boris Epstein). And it will only get bigger if their $4 billion offer the by Tribune Media goes through and gives them access to markets they are not currently in, like Pittsburgh or Philadelphia. They would be able to reach 72% of viewers which, if I understand it correctly, would be twice as what's allowed by the FCC under current laws. So there is also a lobbying effort to change the laws.

Or something like that. :D

But yeah, it's a better story to say that all media are anti-Trump.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017