1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The stupid is strong on Craigslist

Discussion in 'General' started by Lawn Dart, Aug 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Sorry, no can do... I wanna pay extra tax on it so I can get a pretty sticker. If I can't help my locality generate revenue and have a sticker, I don't want it.

2. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Does it run? Got pix?
    :D

:Poke:

3. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

I've just about completely given up on using craigslist for larger sales like selling bikes. I just sold my GSXR 750 frame with a title and it was a royal pain in the ass. The dude was super sketchy too so when he showed up with $50 less than we agreed on, I just took it and made sure I got a signed bill of sale with it to cover my ass if he tried coming back to me saying I scammed him or some BS (which I most definitely did not). He kept telling me if I wanted the rest of the money to come visit him at work at a liquor store and he'd hook me up with a bottle of liquor and the rest of the money... Yeah um... No thanks! Also used a google voice number to contact him on top of the anonymous e-mail system craigslist uses.

Only thing is he obviously has my full name and address since he got the title but I'm not too concerned. I live across the Potomac River in VA whereas he lives in MD. Meaning, I'm allowed to actually own guns here :D

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  4. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

This is interesting. Lived in south east TN all my life and never been required to enter title info on any document in order to ride my dirtbike. Granted, I only hit up Windrock or Royal Blue/Sundquist about once a month. Hunting/fishing license and small game permit get me on Royal Blue legally and I stop at Shell station in Oliver Springs to get a Windrock sticker for the day. Never had to enter any title info for either..........

5. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

1. HA! Take that haters! :D

2. We've already lost the argument. Clearly there's a whole lot of grey area around the whole thing. This is partially to do with laws changing only in the last few years. I looked it up, the title thing has only been on the books since 2006 here, which means there's probably a ton of situations like this one out there. And, it doesn't sound like its strictly enforced.

I rode for a year and a half here with no issues - Loretta Lynn's and a couple of other areas with not even as much as a question from anyone about it.

6. Just because a law is inconsistently enforced doesn't mean it doesn't exist:

TN Title 55

(c) (1) Notwithstanding any other provision of the law to the contrary, off- highway motor vehicles purchased after June 1, 1983, shall be subject to the certificate of title and special identification device provisions of this chapter and § 55-6-101, when such off- highway motor vehicles are operated on lands, other than a highway, in this state.
    (2) For the purposes of this title, an off- highway motor vehicle is a vehicle which is not driven or moved on the public highway and is limited to:
    (A) Any motorcycle commonly referred to as a "dirt bike";
    (B) Any snowmobile or other vehicle designed to travel exclusively over snow or ice;
    (C) Any motor vehicle commonly referred to as a "sand buggy," "dune buggy," or "all terrain vehicle"; or
    (D) Similar types of motor vehicles designed primarily for off-highway use.
    (3) The department shall issue to the owner of an off-highway motor vehicle purchased after June 1, 1983, if not registered under chapter 4 of this title, a special identification device to be affixed to the vehicle as evidence that a certificate of title has been issued for the vehicle. Such device may be either a plate or a sticker, whichever is determined by the department to be
    the most appropriate. Such device shall be nonrenewable and nontransferable and shall become invalid when the vehicle for which it was issued is sold, or the ownership thereof transferred or the vehicle is dismantled.

7. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Well f@ck me runnin' backwards, I guess there is a "law" on the books. Nothin' like that "selective enforcement". As I said, in nearly 40 yrs of dirt biking around here, I've never seen this enforced in areas that I ride.

8. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Yeah, I'm digging up an old thread but don't see much need to start a new one. The stupid is strong and I just need to vent.

I have an old Huskee push mower that I bought maybe 15-20 years ago. It has served me well all these years and I tend to keep stuff serviced with oil, air filters, etc. As usual I was able to get it to start with minimal coaxing for the first mow of the season back in April, but right as I was finishing the 2nd mow it stopped running. I just assumed it was out of gas (I knew it was close) and parked it. But the next time I needed to mow it wouldn't start (and yes I put gas in it). I did minimal diagnostics, verified compression and spark, tried a new plug, etc., but decided heck with it, I need me a new one that's self propelled anyway and gave up on it. Got me a Honda.

So I put the old one on Craigslist for free. Put a couple of pics on it, put the address it's sitting at on the map and clearly say "Please don't email to ask if it's still there or where it is. Everything you need is in this ad and I'll pull the ad down as soon as I notice it's gone. And I don't intend to stop whatever I'm doing to go look and see if it's still there for your convenience. If you want it, come and get it."

This morning the mower is still sitting there and there are half a dozen emails in my inbox asking if it's still here or what's my address.

:rolleyes:

Fencer likes this.
  9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Maroons.

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

yeah... I had a tenant move out and leave all their furniture. So I put an ad on CL to come get it all on a specific date/time. I had 2 people show up in SUVs with no way to safely transport the mattress or couches.
    One asked if I could help load.:rolleyes: The first person made mulitple 50 mile round trips, including one where the passengers used their arms to hold a king sized mattress on the roof...lol.
    Only thing worse is garage salers...

Fencer likes this.
  11. ton

ton Arf!

i'm not gonna drive to your house to pick up something for your convenience (if it's free, you're trying to avoid going to the dump) without knowing the thing is still there.

Rebel635 likes this.
  12. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Change the ad to "free scrap metal". You'll have it gone today.

tony 340 likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

As he said, when it is gone the ad is gone, therefore ad up, shit still at curb :D

14. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Like magic. No need for an ad. I put some scrap metal out by the road a while back. I bet my son that it would be gone in an hour. An hour later, I had to hand him a crisp dollar bill. Roughly two minutes after that, a truck came to a tire smoking stop near my driveway, the cast of Alaskan Bush People hopped out, and the scrap was gone without a trace.

Spooner, ChemGuy and Pixelator like this.
  15. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:crackup::crackup:

16. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

My brother used to put stuff out on the curb with a $25 sign on it and no chain, gone overnight.

ToofPic, A. Barrister and auminer like this.
  17. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Hell, i've put things out by the curb many times. Scrap steel, furniture, whatever. Longest it lasted was 4 hours..

18. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Yep. It's easier to get rid of something when people think it has value. If it's free, then they wonder what's wrong with it?

19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Biggest mistake was putting his own address up in the ad.

Put it on the property line and use your neighbor’s address. :D

20. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

You did it all wrong. Chain it to the closest light pole and put a sign on it that says 50$, it will be gone the next day.