1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The stupid is strong on Craigslist

Discussion in 'General' started by Lawn Dart, Aug 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Put my dirtbike out there to sell... 5 people (real people, not scammers) showed interest. Every single one of them, "Do you have the title?"

Legit question, I'd ask something along the same lines, no problem... "Dirt bike is not street legal and therefore did not come with a title. However, they do come with a Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, which I have."

One guy replies, and sends me his number, asking me to call him because he has further questions. No problem. I call him and he asks again about the title. So, I start to tell him the same thing I told him and the other four via email. He interrupts me before I finished the first sentence to tell me how he has 2 ATVs and has had sooo many vehicles, all which came with a title. After a minute or so of his lecture on how he knows better than I do, I stopped him and asked if he was interested in the bike, or did he just want to continue lecturing me. He started again with the title bullshit, so I hung up on him...

I just wanna sell the bike... I really don't want the drama... :(

2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I'm interested. Do you have the title ? :D

3. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

ditto

I have my old airstream trailer on there with 8 pictures and detailed information and everything described in detail. I have it bargain priced too becasue it is rough around the edges and needs restoration. everybody that calls asks for pictures , condition, weight and what it takes to pull it. one guy sjhowed up with a VW jetta and another with a honda minivan to pull this double axle 5k pound airstream. and yes many just want to call and kick the tires and tell you that they know more than you do. go figure. bill and darethea

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Um, not all states but most, do require you to tile your vehicle that came with an MSO. You can't register it for street use but it can be titled.

Granted, I don't know anyone that does so :D

5. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Lots of folks confuse a Certificate of Origin with a title......as they kinda look alike.

If you want to sell the bike maybe you should just answer yes.

6. Lawn Dart

Yeah - I have no idea about TN, but it wasn't a problem when I bought the bike years ago.

7. Lawn Dart

Yeah, drive on down and have a look. :Poke:

8. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

Do you have a link to the Airstream you could send me Bill?

9. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

If it's an 01 or newer there's no excuse for not having a title (here in Florida). Older, no problem. First question I ask too, it's a hassle to get one if the seller doesn't have it.

10. Lawn Dart

How is having the original MSO any more hassle than an actual title? What specifically makes up the "hassle"? Its a dirtbike....

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If the dealer did it properly the MSO is signed over to you - you cannot then sign it over to someone else, you have to title the vehicle.

12. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Proof taxes were paid. Some off road riding areas require a title.

13. BC

BC Well-Known Member

So taxes are paid each time it changes ownership.

SoCal1000 likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, that's the why the government wants it. I was just explaining why it can be a hassle.

15. 418

418 Expert #59

Pretty sure state of GA won't title a dirtbike. Period.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I thought they'll title it, they won't put a tag on it. Which is weird since some smaller trailers they won't title but will register.... Could be thinking about some other state though, this has come up on here before. You have all sorts of rules up to Cali requiring a registration too.

17. Lawn Dart

I'm sure all these people asking about titles also submit their online sales tax returns every year too...

BTW - who takes their title with them when they ride? LOL

I take it more like they're concerned about it being stolen. To me, having the original MSO is proof enough its not stolen.

18. BC

BC Well-Known Member

You need the title/proof of ownership to get the sticker/permit for the riding areas

Knotcher likes this.
  19. Lawn Dart

This sounds more like a Florida/state park/special permit area/fire-road only thing than a general "ride my dirtbike" thing. If that's the case, this still isn't the dirtbike someone doing that kind of riding would be looking for anyway... Its a 10 year old project bike. Needs a new head. Not something someone's going to ride cross-country on any time soon.

20. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

a 10 year old bike should have a title.. someone may buy it without it, but i wouldn't be complaining about people asking for one.. or make it very clear in the add that you don't have a title rather than mention it after someone calls. otherwise you are wasting a lot of peoples time.