1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Purpose of Religion

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by chaplain, Nov 12, 2003.

1. chaplain

chaplain MRO pulpit jockey

I have not said much in this forum but I have read alot of it. I've not said anything because I didn't know what I wanted to say......until now. It finally hit me that one reason religion is bashed and rightly so is because religion is often portrayed as something negative.........a "don't do this" kind of thing. This turns most people off. I know it does me, now. For the first 32 years of my life, I'm now 49, I had a "hell-fire and damnation" preaching style. I mean I had been to seminary and knew everything and if you didn't agree with me then where you're going you'll need a three piece fire-suit.

Well guess what? God looked down upon me one day and said "NOT!!!!" and for the last 17 years of my life I've been learning something else. Like it takes time for a small rudder to turn a large ship. it took some time but I'm finally getting it: Know what "it" is?.....It is that religious faith is supposed to be a POSITIVE force in our lives, not a negative one.

Most of us know we aren't perfect. We don't need lecturing about how imperfect we are. If you have a faith like that then trash it, flush it, throw it away. It will give you heartburn and depression. What we do need is a faith that is positive, encouraging, supportive, healing. and forgiving. I no longer want to be against anyone or anything. I'd much rather be FOR someone or something.

Last year at Cycle Jam, I went to the hospital to see an injured rider. he asked me "what have you come to do?" I told him I was there to offer support and prayer. He said "Good!" He had had clergy who had told him to get off those dangerous bikes and get a real life. This rider didn't need that junk. He needed to know it was okay to race bikes and God loved him just as he was.

In fact I'd hazard a guess that if he had been born during these times Jesus would be riding a GSXR between Jerusalem and the Sea of Galilee (or maybe a Honda. I don't know!)

So, if some bonehead trys to feed you a negative faith,, telll him "No thanks" and walk away with mistletoe on your coattail. If he doesn't get the message, you'll get a big laugh out of it.

2. Tim, I ride a Duc! :D
    (Reaching out to recovering Catholics everywhere!)

[​IMG]

3. chaplain

Riding a Duc

A thousand pardons...............;)

4. MarkB

MarkB All's well that ends well

Nice....I keep meaning to get back to religion one of these days (seriously), but thats just not where I'm at now. It's a bit like, I know there are a bunch of Sienfelds that I've never seen. I know they're as funny as fu$k, and I feel comfroted that one day I'll find the opportunity to go watch them. Until I get the chance, I'll just carry on with life and do my best to laugh at whatever else is funny. Now, if I manage to die before I get to see those episodes, then I guess I messed up, but at least I lived in the knowledge they were out there available for me to go rent at any time I wanted to...

..and yes, that was a serious reply.:beer:
    MarkB
    (recovering catholic, and un-abused altar-boy)

5. Laurie Acree

Laurie Acree Well-Known Member

Thanks Tim. :)

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

When I had my accident, Tom Moyer chased my helicopter to the hospital to be with me. I had never seen him before in my life. My feelings about organized religion are no secret to people who have read the BBS over the last three years. Tom impressed me because I never asked me to say a prayer, or turn to God for help or salvation. We did have a couple of talks about religion, but mostly as an exchange of ideas and opinions. As a result, he was always welcome in my room and later in my apartment and a close friendship grew out of his support. My kind of chaplain.

7. chaplain

That's the way I do it

Hi Papa

Thanks! You're reply emphasizes the best way to do chaplaincy ........... and that's caring for the riders, speaking of which, how are you doing?............

8. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

This is only my second or third visit to this area of the board as I am generally not encouraged by what I read here. Perhaps on a spiritual level, not many people want to discuss their true feelings in public which resluts often in one-sided perspectives. I have found that mentioning the name of God or Jesus can be very unpopular on these boards. That seems to bring out many negatives which I certainly do not wish to deal with (I've seen it get real ugly real quick). I enjoy a discussion but not an argument and let's face it, many people are very thin-skinned about their faith. Many do not want to change, where they are is where they want to be. It may be the fact that indivduals preceive that they must perform a radical change in faith and perspectives, and barring a miracle, who is capable of that?

What many refer to as religion may be easier to accept as our own spirituality. Why we do the things we do, why we feel the way we feel. God is calling each one of us every day and we just need to grow "a little" each day. One less sin, one less negative thought, one less harsh word, one more act of kindness, one more act of love and forgivness. For me, what I once thought was my power was truly my weakness. It's hard to give up that part of yourself. But when you do, you grow more in every direction.

So folks, don't let anyone tell you that loving your neighbor and doing the right thing has nothing to do with where you are in God. It has everything to do with it. God is working on each of us every day, calling us, be it a gentle nudge or a highside face plant. We must just learn to listen.

Everyone is not called at the same time and it may not be right for you at the moment. Our journeys or our own and we must answer in our own time.

I'm a Catholic, 45 years and counting. I pray at least an hour every day, I attend mass usually twice a week, but you know, that won't assure me a place in heaven. It's what I do that really counts and I'm certainly no saint. If I can finish Mid-Pack I'll consider that a win! :)

9. Laurie Acree

I like your team name.

I believe that doing good deeds does not reserve a place at the table for you in Heaven. It's believing that Jesus is God's son and accepting him in your life.:)

You know etemplet, I appreciate what you wrote and I'm going to try to have one less negative tomorrrow and take each day as it comes. We had a tough weekend and your post was a positive. Thank you.

10. ysr612

ysr612 Well-Known Member

you should meet him all slicked back with Dapper Dan.

ps Well by thier fruits will you know them. Not Saying Gene is a fruit but he does let some fruitcakes race with him.

11. etemplet

Hi Laurie,

I must say that reading many of your posts, not in this forum of course until today, I have admired your spirituality. It is a constant in a constantly changing world and I believe that character is a result of absolute faith. I'm sorry I left out the most important part of salvation, Jesus. I took that as a given and shouldn't have, but I'm a Catholic in a Catholic world (South Louisiana). What can I say? :)

I recently attended a 3 day "silent" retreat for Catholic men (Menresa) which is a highly sought after Jesuit retreat, and one of the many profound things I came away with was this and it was a bit amusing.

In one of the 11 sessions we attend our director stated,

"Going the Church will make you a Christian, like sitting in your garage will make you a car."

It kinda hit home, but so much about growing spiritually does. It's hard to accept that we are not being all we can be, but changing doesn't have to hurt, and changing doesn't make life less fun either.

I have been drawn to Lee as a racer, not because of his abilities, but because he is smart enough, and blessed enough to chose such a woman...and that reflects on him as well. May God Bless you and your family.

How hard do you think it was for me to shut up for 3 days? :)

Take Care,
    Gene

PS Thankyou 612. You;re a nut.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2003
  12. ZebProctor1

ZebProctor1 Well-Known Member

Re: That's the way I do it

you a chaplain at ft. jackson? Or a local reserve/nat guard unit?

13. Laurie Acree

I like that quote. Mind if I use it someday?

More than that I really appreciate your words of my faith. It has been a struggle the past few days with some things going on in our lives and I believe that God gave you the gift of encouragement with this post. Thank you.

THREE DAYS?:)

14. plasticweld

plasticweld Well-Known Member

I am new to this site, but checked this section out and read your posts. Thanks Tim for topic. I have found that the only way to share my faith is to first be concerned with others first. I will glady share my faith I will also more importantly be a good friend first. Serving Christ is serving others, I have found that by doing this if an opportunity arises to share my faith great if not, then so what. He who plants does not always reap..Bob

15. chaplain

Re: Re: That's the way I do it

I'm an ordained minister who loves motorsports and feels a calling to serve the motorsports community.

16. chaplain

Laurie

Are you guys okay? I've tried to send a pm a couple of times but it says your mailbox is full.

17. Laurie Acree

Yeah, I cleaned it out.

We have had a hard week. I'll email ya. Thank you for asking.

18. etemplet

I'm sure Father Romagosa would be very happy if you used that quote. :)

I am also happy and flattered that God chose me to be the supplier of your needed encouragement.

Take care, you guys are in my prayers.

Chaplain, thanks for the initial post and your kind words at Barber when our rider crashed. Be well.

19. chaplain

glad to be there

Glad to be there for you guys and gals......This is a passion for me...one I enjoy greatly.

20. nov599

nov599 Well-Known Member

Chaplain Tim thanks for being there for us the riders.
    The first time I heard you was at Barber then again at the GNFs. You and your wife do a great job. (inspiring) Its been some time since I left a church service feeling the way I did.

SINCERE THANKS

Bradley Anderson

Novice 599