1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Powersports Industry & M/C Roadracing

Discussion in 'General' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

That dealer sounds like a real dick. We're not all like that.

2. rohorn

rohorn Well-Known Member

I'm getting really sick of the post-2008 hand-wringing - too many questions:

[​IMG]
    • 2010 STILL looks higher than, well, how many years before 1998?
    • Wasn't there racing back then?
    • What was sportbike sale like back in the '70's, you know, when Daytona was a huge event?
    • What's the margin on all those little bikes sold in allegedly growing economies, vs. the margin on bikes sold in the "Increasingly irrelevant" USA?
    • Anybody remember how many bikes HD sold a year back when Gene Church was racing Pro-Twins - and WINNING?
    • If Ducati's sales numbers are so "Low" and "Irrelevent", then why are they racing and doing rather well at it?
    • When was the last time you read ANYTHING enthusiastic about club racing (As in your local club or the national racing club (MA)) in Cycle World or any other "Mainstream" MC magazine (If any are left).
    There are a LOT more questions - have work to do first....

3. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I hope you aren’t talking about the bens pees comments. If so, I might be able to accept the term icon or champion, but, I have a little bit higher of a bar for someone to be considered a hero.

I'm with Stupid likes this.
  4. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

In 2018 US Harley sales were 132,000 units, so when you compare Ducati's 7,800 units it's clear Ducati is a niche brand. But of course it is relevant! The DNA of Ducati is the same as Ferrari, they race because that defines their brands. And their customers love it because it's the Italian passion and their way of doing things.

ducnut likes this.
  5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

If they didn’t spend crazy money on racing and owner experiences, I’m not sure they’d still be around. The Cagiva period is not that distant of a reminder.

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

We need NASBIKE.
    Pure, unadulterated asphalt oval racing on "caged" Hayabusas, ZX14s, whatever. You have to run a 200 front and a 300 rear but, otherwise, just turn left. 250mph down the straights with "OMG, they're ten wide into T1!"
    Yeah, I'd drink beer and watch that from the tailgate of my bubba truck in the parking lot of all the iconic superspeedways. I got that jumbotron mounted in the bed and my Yeti fridge keepin' the Kielbasas (tryin' to accommodate the Jersey Shore crowd cuz you know they got it goin on. :rolleyes::crackup:) 'til my DIY split/hinged fuel drum BBQ rig comes up to temp. Mama's at the slide-out kitchen and Seamus, that's the dog, is outside the fence.

SpeedyE and DRye like this.
  7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

[​IMG]

Sorry but no. We are talking about the classic manufacturer to wholesaler to retailer model here that everyone uses. And I don't fucking care if it's Walmart, Piggly Wiggly, or Jimmies Yamaha. The internet has changed things a bit but 30 years ago it was mail order companies advertising in enthusiast magazines. And 150 years ago it was Sears selling you a house kit then shipping on a train to your 2o acres of land in the middle of a Kansas field.

So it comes down to this. If your focus/passion is selling a product then you have trained staff, an excellent deep inventory, and you know your stuff you're SERVICING the customers and their happy, and you make a profit. It doesn't matter if its a car, a tire, or even a helmet you have to know how to engage the consumer.

Nick_OMC, stk0308, evakat and 3 others like this.
  8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Tires are the only thing I go to the dealer for. Even if they are a little cheaper online I still need them mounted. I don't mind paying a little more at all but it's usually not that big a difference anyway.

9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Buy a No-Mar and be done with it. I’ve saved so much money, time, and wheel scars doing my, and others’, stuff.

lookmtb, seroj, badmoon692008 and 5 others like this.
  10. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

People assume because it's online it's cheaper when alot of times it's not. I priced out a set of Pilot Power 2cts this week for a guy, I quoted him $5 more than his online pricing. Told him I could eat the 5 bucks and match it. :crackup:

Steeltoe likes this.
  11. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Great plan, other than the fact NASCAR is declining faster than any other Motorsport at the moment...
    Emulating them may not be the best plan.

ducnut likes this.
  12. fastfreddie

Which is exactly why it will work, barring any actual NASCAR involvement. The NASCAR fans will be like, Whaaa!? Are those motorcycles? Sweet baby Geebus, they're going 250 mph!
    Hey, mama, load the truck with vittles. We're off to Charlotte!

I'd pay to sit in the grandstands for a 33 bike field.
    They could even have an exhibition class to warm up the track...unlimited, open-wheel quads. Tell me a redneck ain't gonna be all over that.

13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Holy shit it's been along time. Everybody put Seamus the dog on your music playlist and crank it loud and laugh and enjoy

scottn likes this.
  14. fastfreddie

:crackup:

Good catch!
    Only person I could think of that woulda got that and said sumthin' was Putter. RIP

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I claim it but never bitched about it because MA success will long term help us all.

Where I get pissed is everyone and their brother can do a trackday and then they all decide they can do races. Which of course all their buddies support - that directly fucks over club racing orgs to the point we really wonder why we bother with it all.

Gorilla George and ekraft84 like this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

1 - sorry Critter but that is utter bullshit. The people who thought they could buy what other spent years learning to build were delusional to begin with. They could have built their own team and been successful but they made excuses and bailed.

2 - happened but got fixed. Not as soon as it should have though but the economy did way more damage than that.

3 - again - I disagree. there were never enough numbers to bring the outside money - the internal bs at many levels did hurt that for sure. The OEM's didn't run off what had no true interest anyway.

4 - Amen.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm truly not understand the hate over what Ben said or the defensiveness of those involved in the sport. It's not like he was in any way wrong nor was he super negative about any of it.

18. G 97

G 97 Garth

Chevy didn’t seem to care.
    25092076-A25A-406C-9540-BFD9D45F6665.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  19. G 97

G 97 Garth

2. Yes, it got “fixed” but long after when it should have been. The economy is the economy but I certainly wouldn't minimize the tire issue aspect and how it played a major roll towards providing a huge advantage to the “haves”. I don’t think this can ever be overstated.

20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

You’re saying MA allows amateur racers on their grid?