1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Physics of Nearly Killing Yourself on a Motorcycle

Discussion in 'General' started by panthercity, Jun 8, 2017.

1. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Had a buddy calculate his speed on the bike based on how far he traveled in the air after his chain broke and lock the back wheel.

3. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Didn't look at the video but a guy on a street bike hitting 1.3 Gs is.... just.... no....

4. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

1.3g of DECELERATION.

5. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

watch the video, it's good

6. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Naw, I got that. Still doubt that number. Unless he hit something or pulled a chute....

EDIT:

Found this on Brembo site.
    Not saying it's impossible but to do it on (while likely toasty) street tyre, on a street bike... Let's just say that most likely the speedo metrics are well off....

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Gorilla George likes this.
  7. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

What's so different than hitting a braking zone trying to sneak it in front of the next guy?

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The miraculous thing would be finding a motorcycle w both an accurate speedo and tach. I'd like to see that.

9. throwdown

throwdown Well-Known Member

Buy something other than a gixxer....;)

Gorilla George and Sabre699 like this.
  10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

11. For reference that's a championship-winning rider on a top-level 1000cc superstock machine braking for T1 at Road Atlanta. Only T6 at Atlanta exceeds that. As measured on an AIM EVO4. YRMV.

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Is this the same guy who "calculated" that RC51 in Minnesota doing 205mph using mile markers?

Kolbe, pickled egg and Steeltoe like this.
  13. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

That must be old data, just a quick search shows that Brembo listed the maximum braking for Motogp at COTA at 1.8g... would be interesting to go back and look at braking times into some corners on the 600 and compare. I'd be willing to bet braking into 10A at road Atlanta is well over 1.3g on a SS bike. That is pretty much 160 to 60...

Stuff like this is interesting to me.

14. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

I'm willing to bet if you have a car run in front of you going that fast you might be able to pull off some serious braking if you are a half decent rider.

Pixelator and turner38 like this.
  15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

205 Tilley 4eva! :D

16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

definitely a 1%er in terms of riding ability.
    Seems like those riders that gamble around traffic are usually looking
    way ahead.

Pixelator and panthercity like this.
  17. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Interesting article but the author may have overestimated the g-force by overlooking the fact that the rear wheel likely left the ground during deceleration and the swift decline in tach and speedo during the period in question only reflects that.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  18. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Whether or not the calculations are correct, it was impressive that he didn't panic. Most riders in that situation would be either lodged under the rear bumper or launched over the bars.

badmoon692008 and GixxerBlade like this.
  19. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

No doubt that this rider handled a tough situation. Respect. Another piece of information that we cannot ascertain from the video evidence is the content of the rider's undies after the incident. I'm guessing brownish.

20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Would be curious to know the deltas between a MotoGP bike with up to temp carbon/carbon brakes on ridiculously sticky race rubber versus your typical street bike setup though. It is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison wth the amount of friction and therefore G's generated.