1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The official cycle jam roll call

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, May 26, 2014.

1. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Can we talk about the 6 row gap that someone thought was a good idea in the "larger" grids?

Seems like the old WERA and other orgs never needed to gap out the grids, so why now? I understand safety is always a concern, but if I was that worried about pileups in turn 1, I'd run track days.

Seems unreasonable to separate out a class with 6 bike lengths between competitors from the drop of the flag.

2. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

In my experience it really doesn't matter that much. The front row of the 2nd section is usually on the back tire of the last row of the 1st section by turn 1 anyways. Maybe it prevents people in the 2nd group from being able to pass before turn 1, but you get by eventually if you are faster.

Now 2 waves for the same class is a bit annoying, but I've benefited from that more than I've been hurt by that.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sure, Evelyne did it and with the size of those grids our normal procedure is a wave. However we gave the experts the benefit of the doubt this time and put in the gap to keep you closer to the people in the other group than a wave would be while still keeping you all from hitting T1 ten wide.

A wave would have had you more than 6 rows behind off the grid no matter how quick Glen could do them since a wave necessitates at least a 3 row gap anyway.

4. dickie doo

Ok, that helps. I wasn't aware that you've ever separated the classes like that in the past, and other (older) experts apparently haven't seen it. I figured I'd ask since I'm new to the class.

I will tell you that it makes it tough as hell to catch the folks in the front with the same or slightly quicker lap times. Especially at Road A with that damn chicane. :crackup:

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Like I put on FB, old school crowds lead to old school problems....

We used to have enough Novices they'd have 3 waves of just them in C Production at the bigger events. Also used to start row 1 further back towards 12 so the back of the back would be up the hill and holding their brakes on so they wouldn't roll and jump :D (old 12 setup).

6. dickie doo

I get it. Thanks for discussing it, and congrats on a huge weekend. :up:

7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Front tires last a long time when you have 20hp on the rest of the field. LOLOLOL

8. Waterboy

Waterboy Rain Man

Glad to help!

9. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I didn't see a single T1 start collision resulting in off-track adventure, but I didn't see all the starts. Were there any?

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not that I know of. I know we had some of the normal bumping in T2-3 but that's more a function of the chicane being clunky and faster rider with no points however everyone did great as far as I know.

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I liked it... of course I get decent launches :D:FL:

12. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Grids apparently worked okay. The two wave start flagging was also really quick and gave racers in the second wave a good chance to ride forward. Keep doing this, please.

13. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

Tire was working great, 36s on a LW bike, the Michelin slick fronts are astounding in their consistency and longevity.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We try to keep it consistent. Helps having great people who understand why we do things the way we do too, the starter gets why we're going for safe through one but also understand the riders wanting to stay competitive.

15. benprobst

Yep!

16. benprobst

However, they also tend to last a little less long when you weigh 260lbs and are 6'6.

17. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

How awesome was that bathroom situation with No AC or lights? I hope Wera gets their money back on that rental cost.

18. slimjim00

slimjim00 Well-Known Member

I *think* one guy went down going into T1 in the Sunday DSS/LWT SB race, but there were a bunch of novices in the back fighting for that one spot. He slid out of the way pretty quickly/safely

19. dickie doo

What does that even mean? Why would we/WERA expect money back for a bathroom not having lights or AC?

All the facilities I used had lights, but the block buildings around the infield have never had AC.

20. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

The portable unit they put in for this event had no power, it sucked.