1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official 2021 Silly Season Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by scottn, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I will bet that one of the seats that do open up in 2022 will go to an American.

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I knew what you meant. And I answered accordingly. Racing an Aprilia doesn't kill your future chances with Aprilia, it kills your career in MotoGP.

You only get one chance to make a first impression. And very few recover from a bad first impression.

3. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

I'd have thought if Joe, or any of the young Moto2 guys that were offered the seat, did as well as Aleix in '21 that Team Managers would all look at that as a huge achievement given Aleix's talents and experience. Obviously that's no small feat but the bar is pretty low at hoping for finishing positions of 8th-10th.

4. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

I would bet on that too. As much as they don't want to admit it, Dorna needs an American on the big stage.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The problem with the Aprilia seat was the timing of when they knew Eyelifts and Steroids would not be beating his ban. They waited too long and almost everyone was signed.

They should have cut bait with Iannone earlier or at least signed up a "just in case" rider.

They did it to themselves and now they are stuck with Head and Savadori.

Has Lorenzo completely turned down the tester role there?

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I think you might be underestimating Aleix if you think any "regular" rookie out of Moto2 should hang their career hopes on matching him in their first year in MotoGP. I think that could backfire badly.

7. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

I cant remember at this point, but did AI29 get the same prototype parts at the same time as AE41 or were they hand me down parts like Lowes and Redding dealt with?

8. younglion

Not at all, he's hands down the most under-appreciated GP rider of the last 10 years IMO. Hence my comment - IF a Moto2 standout could match his points total (not pull a MM93 and destroy his teammate Dani in his rookie year) just get on equal footing - yes a tall order but not totally unthinkable.

9. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Aleix was right earlier on wanting a young up and comer. The announcement today of Smith & Savadori fighting for the ride over the winter should spell the end of the beginning for their GP effort...again.

BigBird likes this.
  10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Which Moto2 racer from this past season strikes you as being a Márquez-caliber mofo? Because I think that's what it's going to take to challenge Aleix in their first year.

Look at it this way: Lowes is a known quantity versus Aleix on an Aprilia. And we have seen the Moto2 field against Lowes. I say "take your time, boys, wait for a safer opportunity."

11. younglion

I specifically mentioned I didn’t think any current Moto2 guys were of 93’s pedigree. ;)

Of the lot, Bet-Zeki would be the likely favorite if I was choosing. AS for Lowe’s, I’ll use Sofuoglu, Rabat, and Luthi as examples of middle class dominators who failed miserably in the big boy class. Lowe’s is just another example of that whereas Bezzechi strikes me as more of a Morbidelli style guy who like AM73 is smooth but takes baby steps not giant leaps like 93 or Fabio.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I think Morbidelli is definitely a step above Bezzecchi, if not more. And even he struggled mightily when he transitioned into MotoGP on the wrong bike (VDS Honda).

13. younglion

As did Miller on the same bike. Seriously unimpressive.
    Then they both got much better with 2-3 seasons under their belt, as I’d think Bezzechi would given the time.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

My thought on that: Moto2 champion has a better chance of being given the time. As does a guy from an underrepresented nation. Plenty of Italians in the pipeline. Risky for Bezzechi. More so than for Roberts, in my opinion.

BigBird and younglion like this.
  15. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

Dorna definitely want an American in MotoGP, hopefully this works in Roberts favor when shuffling starts in 2022 for 2023 season...

16. motodog650

motodog650 pissed-off bloody wanker

If Cam takes to Moto2 like a duck to water (as many think he will) and Roberts & Gerloff have strong seasons, it's gonna be a toss-up as to which might get the call up in '22. Surely one of them will.

17. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I'm so pumped about next year. GG on more competitive equipment with a year of experience under his belt. Roberts with Italtrans. And Beaubier in Moto2. I CANT WAIT!!!

Plus I think MotoAmerica is going to be much more exciting with Beaubier gone

18. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I am thinking Gerloff is ready to go straight to motogp from what I saw. I mean hell they push lesser foreign talent way earlier. Especially if he’s a Spaniard. Don’t care what team the kid goes to he already got the speed on those bikes. Already showed it in less than ideal conditions.

19. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

Joe looks good with the Italtrans logos.

20. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

upload_2020-11-24_9-24-10.png

Dan Dubeau likes this.