1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official 2021 Silly Season Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by scottn, Dec 10, 2019.

1. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

2. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Why does Aprilla even want Joe?

rcarson15 and Robby-Bobby like this.
  3. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Just think about the fact that a factory MotoGP team has an open seat on the grid, a bike capable of solid top 10's, and they've approached 5? riders now (i think I read that somewhere, I could be wrong) and NOBODY wants to ride it. WTF is wrong with this picture.

The Great One likes this.
  4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Especially fascinating when they've confirmed friggin Bradley Smith. I'm glad JR didn't take the seat. I'd rather see him kill it next year on a good bike and get primo offers for a seat in '22. He's still young.... lots of time to be choosey.

BigBird and Boman Forklift like this.
  5. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

They want him because he's a dream boat.

motion likes this.
  6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Seems like the MotoGP paddock is all up in a flutter about those dreamy Americans this year :)

The Great One and BigBird like this.
  7. BigBird

BigBird blah

about time. those two sessions by GG really left a great impression, along with the dazzle of JRob, 'Murica :flag:

8. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

I'm with you. Lorenzo, Dovizioso, Crutchlow, Bezzecchi, Roberts, Canet, DiGiannantonio, and Chaz Davies were all heavily linked to that ride, and half of them don't have a full time alternative. I really wonder how bad the offered terms were.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

In all fairness, the real number of serious candidates is probably smaller than that. The first three guys you mentioned could not possibly have seriously considered that job and were probably involved in talks just because you listen before you say "no." They are at points in their careers where it makes absolutely no sense unless they managed their taxes like Nicolas Cage. Joining that project would be like Lebron James joining a rebuilding franchise next year. He is not going to join the New York Knicks at 37 in the hopes that he can win another title at 40.

BigBird, Boman Forklift and younglion like this.
  10. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

It's because Aprilia is just not serious in their commitment. They're not putting up the budget or effort seriously required to win at MotoGP level. Dovi asked for a reasonable salary given his championship positions and level of experience. They said no. They're cheap and the results show.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

How much did Dovi ask for from them? I read he wanted something like €6 Million to € 8 Million from Ducati and they offered him half that. He took his wagon over to become a tester at Honder and they didn't offer him his 6 to 8.

He's worth what people are willing to pay him.

BigBird likes this.
  12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

6 to 8 what? Sandwiches?

13. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

I read 4 million to ride at Aprilia. I believe it was Motomatters where I saw it.

14. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

There aren't any primo seats available in '22 are there? Unless you meant get an offer in '22 for a seat in '23.

I'm just some schmuck on the internet but I thought he should've taken it. Bike seems solid and is improving. If they make another step like they did this year, they're solidly in the mix. I agree with Simon Crafar that NOW is the the time to sign on with Aprilia.

The chance may not come again. Moto2 is a tough class and there's no guarantee he will be up front next year. Or he could be like Sam Lowes and be up front but still not get an offer to move up. MM93's year this year is another reason to take the opportunity while you can.

Grab that bull by the horns while you can!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    CRA_Fizzer and turbulence like this.
  15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You know why he is not getting an offer? What was he riding two years ago? :D

16. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

i agree with this. things change fast. a couple of years ago yamahas were dominant and ktm and suzuki were back of the pack...

what’s to say the Ape couldn’t win next year or in 2022... if you’re on the bike now, you’re a part of that. plus, what are there, 16 bikes on the grid? that’s not a lot of spots.

and if you’re Roberts, you have to say to yourself.. Cam is now on the world stage, gerloff has made impressions. i’ve got to go now, because next year those two might eclipse me in terms of 1st pick of american riders in motogp and i might miss my window.

i think he should have taken it (assuming he actually got offered).

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Miller's Factory Ducati seat but they have an option on him though for 2022.
    All 4 of the KTM seats
    Rossi's seat at Petronas
    Zarco's seat they do have an option on him.
    Both seats at Avintia (this will become VR46 but, the seats will be open).

Don't forget the Gresini/ Aprilia split into two teams.

A lot of seats. 2023 will be like musical chairs in a mosh pit with Slayer providing the music.

18. lopitt85

Touche'. :p. But I meant an offer in general, not just Aprilia. Multiple other seats were filled in the GP paddock for next year, and I don't remember his name being considered for any of them.

19. lopitt85

I didn't even consider that, but it's a valid point.

20. lopitt85

Call me crazy but I dont see any chance of movement by Miller so I'd write his seat of. Same with Binder and Oliveira. I could see some availability of Petrucci and Lecuona's seats depending on their performance next year. The old dogs seat may become available, but would you bet on him hanging it up as our route to get in? Based on how giddy Yamaha was with GG, I'd say he's got the inside track to that one when it opens up.

But you're right, there are more openings than I thought there were.