1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official 2019 Stanley Cup thread.

Discussion in 'General' started by Sabre699, Apr 8, 2019.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

A lesson that could affect his career. As we know as motorcycle racers concussions are no joke.

Unrelated to this incident but still hockey related...

I play in B league on the south side of Chicago. It get's pretty chippy but plenty of talent. I've been playing hockey for 30 years and never had this happen in a game before last night. The game got pretty chirpy last night and the refs were getting pissed. The one ref kept talking shit to both teams and just would NOT stop running his mouth. Both teams kept telling the ref if you don't shut up and do your job someone is going to put a puck in your face. He continued and both teams ended up kicking the refs off the ice and we just scrimmaged. It was actually pretty awesome. Supposedly our captain and the other captain is taking the incident up to USA hockey corporate. Should be interesting to see if the ref is able to put a skate back on the ice.

BigBird and MachineR1 like this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Huh, I truly had no clue Columbus had a hockey team.

3. grasshopper

Stick to ruining road racing in America. We don't need you ruining hockey as well. :)

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Will do!

5. grasshopper

6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Well, for the most part pulling the goalie isn't working in the playoffs this year. Good on the Bruins for tying the series.

Sabre699 likes this.
  7. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

8. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Ya, not sure I can get on board with Ms. Armour about that. I wonder what would be next on her passivist hit list? Checking? Take away the "outdated brutishness" and you end up with ice soccer...

The whole concussion spin is just a lever to try to get fighting banned. I would almost guarantee the number of concussions from fighting is very small compared to the total number. They better redesign skate blades to slow them down to eliminate hard hits in the corners. And no deliberate raising of the puck. There are all sorts of things that could be done to make it "safer". But how much supposed "safety" and bubble wrapping is too much?

9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Yeah...Pastrnak picked a good time to come out of his drought. Didn't see the Preds get bombed.
    Watched that OT game between the Avalanche and the Flames though.

10. rd400racer

I can't hang that late:D

As far as the fighting goes, I don't miss it a bit. As a 40 year veteran of this sport, I lost count of how many fights I was in and they were all stupid. As corny as it sounds, the skill and beauty of a 230 pound man charging down the ice while stick handling in a phone booth is hockey to me. If I want to see fighting I'll watch a boxing match.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Normally I wouldn't but you know...Stanley Cup Playoffs!

rd400racer likes this.
  12. grasshopper

Do you play hockey?

crashman likes this.
  13. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

14. fastedyamaha

Is that why youth, high school, and junior hockey leagues have severe penalties for fighting? Not to mention the Olympics and International games have banned it?

15. fastedyamaha

Play it, ref it, coach it. Fans of the game know that it has no place in the sport anymore. Concussions are brain damage that never heal. That's why the rules have been changed on the youth and high school level to eliminate dangerous hits to the head. I hear it all the time as a ref from coaches, players, and parents. "Gee, you used to be able to hit in hockey". My response is that you can still hit in hockey, you just can't hit in the head anymore, you can't dish out the blind side hits to unaware players anymore. You can hit in a safe way and still knock the bejeezus out of someone as long as they can see the hit coming and it's below the shoulders.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Honestly the fights have me turning games off. Useless and stupid pro wrasslin bullshit.

17. grasshopper

No arguments now that I know you are involved with the sport. I like the term "Containment" especially in the men's league / club hockey. I play in a non check league but "Containment" and body contact is unavoidable. The freak collision can happen but head hunting to take someone out is uncalled for. With all of that said I still support an occasional fight especially if it's warranted to put a cocky bastard in their place. I also think the world needs a few more fist fights and a few less gun shots... but that's just me.

badmoon692008 and MachineR1 like this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Did I miss where hockey players were playing armed? :D

19. rd400racer

Yep, 40 years playing, 18 coaching (at the same time). Many of you know this but I don't get to talk about him much now that he's "retired", my son was one hell of a goalie that had a shot at the minors but he gave it up to start his real life.

Travel hockey days...

[​IMG]

My high school team that I coached for 6 years. Went to a state final, lost by one goal (to a cheater team!).

[​IMG]

And my boys proudest moment. Louisville won the Tri-State D2 club tournament and was invited to the D2 National Championships for the first time in school history, and he was named tournament MVP.

[​IMG]

So you could say ice runs in my veins:D

Sabre699, cpettit and grasshopper like this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nephew was/is good too. Got a couple years after high school to go play in the minors and see if he could make it before dad said he'd have to go to school. He went to MD and played but got cut for some political silly best I can tell, not sure what he's doing now.

rd400racer likes this.