1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Malcolm young thread got me thinking.... Loudest bands you've seen

Discussion in 'General' started by joec, Nov 18, 2017.

1. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Metalica 1989
    AC/DC 1990
    both at 5 Seasons Center in Cedar Rapids, IA

2. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

To be honest I was never a fan, it was local and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about, although I do remember Baker being the best drummer I'd ever seen until I saw Rush several years ago. As for Moorcock, I enjoyed his books too.

motoboy likes this.
  3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Disaster Area, with front man Hotblack Desiato.
    "...generally regarded as not only the loudest rock band in the Galaxy, but also as being the loudest noise of any kind at all."

:D

4. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Jimmy Hendrix
    Deep Purple
    Ozzie with Black Sabbath
    Allman Brothers
    Ten Years After

Razr likes this.
  5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Front row for Zeppelin in 77 when I was 16. It was festival seating and I was a skinny little kid, so I just kept walking between people until I made it to the front.

I couldn't hear for about three days afterwards.

Razr likes this.
  6. joec

joec brace yourself

I saw the Melvin's. Totally forgot. Before they started playing they were trying to get as many people as close to the stage at possible. Saying "everyone come up closer!" Then they just instantly blasted everyone. The room nearly cleared out. I remember people standing in the back hallways of the venue for the entire it was so loud. Thinking back on it, it was pretty hilarious.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Buzz is hilarious.

t11ravis likes this.
  8. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Sounds about right. :crackup:

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dozens and dozens of bar bands in bars with brick walls and no sound dampening :D

10. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

Slipknot was crazy loud when I saw them a couple times, about 12 or 15 years ago. I forgot plugs once and it was almost unbearable, and it was an outside show too.

Excision hands down has to beat everything I've ever heard... 150k watt PK System.. raises the hair on your arm and feel the air in your lungs. I remember the ceiling of the Tabernacle in Atl literally having pieces falling off into the crowd. And always clears up random confetti left on the top rafters LOL. His are usually the only DJ shows in that watt range that actually sound decent.

Sevendust maybe an honorable mention, but it could have been the smaller venues I've seen them, as the larger shows weren't as loud. Meshuggah maybe another honorable mention but it may have just been the pit beating me up a bit and not the shows dB.

11. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

Always finishing up with "Mustang Sally"?
    :Puke:

12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I had front row for Van Halen in 84... Also had front row for Triumph in 85... However Neil Young made me go deaf for a week and I was in the back on the floor... loudest concert ever...

13. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Joe Satriani at Balboa Theater, San Diego.
    Zeke at the Casbah.

14. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Loudest : the combination of the low lube oil level alarm and the odd screaming coming from the reduction gear of 4 main machinery room of the USS Kitty Hawk.

Best : SRV playing Texas Flood in a rainstorm in Midland Texas in 1981

15. yzfpat

yzfpat Active Member

Scorpions at the Capital Center early 80's

16. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

I'll second the Deep Purple. And I was even seeing them on a "reunion" tour (Perfect Strangers). Surprised at Joe Satriani though. I have seen him a few times, and one event he did (at a performing arts center admittedly) was probably the best sound quality at any electric performance that I've ever attended. In general, he was never "too overly loud" when I've seen him.

17. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

I've seen the Melvins well over a dozen times. One of my favorites. As far as rock bands go, they are loud as fuck. So are Dinosar Jr in a smaller venue.

With that being said, here are my top 3:

Swans
    Sunn O)))
    My Bloody Valentine

No question about it. The 3 bands above in theaters that hold between 1,000-5,000 people make arena rock bands sound tame. Fugzai and Sonic Youth in the early days were great loud bands, but again, nowhere near the db levels of the 3 bands above. My best friend was the front of house engineer for Swans for a few tours. Fucking brutal. I mean, it literally wears your soul out.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  18. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

Motorhead.....but an honorable mention to Pantera.

19. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

System of a Down. Ozzfest. I think either '98 or '99 before they hit it big.

Middle of the pit when Suite Pee came on.........didn't know if my ears were going to bleed more than the 1 inch gash I got on my forehead from an errant elbow.

20. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

I saw Hawkwind in Boston back around 1974. Man opened for them. I did a few hits of blotter before the show and I was laughing hysterically at the pretentious nature of the show. (Dancing girl dressed in leotards with tin foil streamers. Lizard crawling out on stage and eventually pulling mask off and playing the sax.)
    Loudest indoor concert: Beck, Bogert & Appice at the Orpheum in Boston, 1974
    Loudest outdoor concert: Captain Beyond at Boston Common, date unknown. (Captain Beyond: Guitar - El Rhino from Iron Butterfly, Bass - Lee Dorman from Iron Butterfly, Drums - Bobby Caldwell from Johnny Winter And, Vocals - Rod Evans from Deep Purple.)