1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Malcolm young thread got me thinking.... Loudest bands you've seen

Discussion in 'General' started by joec, Nov 18, 2017.

1. joec

joec brace yourself

Sonic youth.... Not loud

Ministry was loud
    Dino jr was almost unbearable. Literally.
    The pixies were actually way louder than I though they were going to be. Too loud.

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Motorhead!

condon66 and backbone like this.
  3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

And a follow-up question: is loudness correlated with quality in the circles you guys run in? :D

4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Metallica, 1997
    Guns N Roses 2017

Both inside though

5. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

No.

Metallica was great, but Guns N Roses sounded better outside.

6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Motorhead was LOUD and very well played. Not like some shows where its so loud you cannot understand aything or make out riffs. Motorhead brought it all together well

7. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

:stupid: Was going to post the same thing. Lol

8. RNYC

RNYC Well-Known Member

Motörhead, without doubt. Ceiling panels were falling down from vibrations. Yet you could still here things - it didn’t just turn into a roar. Couldn’t bear for days after, even w ear plugs.

9. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

Fugazi at the Lost Horizon in Syracuse, NY. Circa 1993. Small venue, <400 people.

They were so good, you barely noticed how fucking loud it was.

10. Yokohama

Yokohama Active Member

Dinosaur Jr., Flaming Lips on the Hit to Death tour, The Melvins and Iggy Pop.

11. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Skinny Puppy.
    It was inside though...
    Ears were ringing for days.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  12. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

AC/DC at the Black Ice tour in Chicago.

13. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

AC/DC aside at the Palace (indoors) in Michigan, Deep Purple was quite loud at Pine Knob, and that’s an outdoor amphitheater type venue. Both sounded excellent. Some have mentioned Motörhead (also at Pine Knob), though I don’t recall them being loud so much as how awesome that bass sounded.

14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Ted Nugent was pretty darn loud.

The Ramones at The Vogue (small theater) made my ears ring for a week.

Spinal Tap should be the loudest, their amps go to 11.

jksoft and t11ravis like this.
  15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

When I worked Korn tour (I think it was Family Values) that was the loudest touring rig to date for the time. I'm sure it's been surpassed since then. Three different tours they came through they always had some of the best quality and spl I can remember. Thump your chest w low end.

The only painfully loud shows have all been in clubs. Static X comes to mind.

Audio spl and quality has nothing at all to do with the band. It's all on the equipment and crew. I have noticed line array is almost never painful even though it's louder than clusters. Might have more to do with the million programs for choosing and measuring the hang. Because audio guys aren't any smarter. I think they're dumber since now a computer rings out the room for them. :D

5axis, terminus est and V5 Racer like this.
  16. t11ravis

I regret that I never got to see Static X live.

17. t11ravis

Did You ever come up north to Castle Farms?

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dinosaur Jr. - insanely loud.
    Motorhead - made your testicles hurt loud.
    Husker Du - Oh my gawd, what did I do to deserve this loud.
    Sick of it all - Stop it, I don't owe you any money but I'll give you some to turn it down loud.

19. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Motorhead 1984
    Butthole Surfers were too loud one time(overpowered the speakers) and sounded like shit because of it.
    I saw Rev. Horton Heat in the 90's once where the kick drums were way too loud because they trying to be something they weren't I guess. That sucked lol

20. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

George Thourogood + destroyers. Area power in small theater venue. My very first intro to tinnitus....

Steeltoe likes this.