1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The local dealers really make it hard sometimes...

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, May 17, 2018.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Ive noticed that the make & model specific shops tend to stock consumable things and accessories for orphan or cult type bikes.
    Like if you have a CBX or 70s Honda I4. Same with 70s and 80s Kawis. There has to be like 5-8 shops that specialize in Grom specific accessories in the US. The old 2T zuma had a parts & accessories specific shop. Seems to be the way to keep profitable and get what you need for your bike plus an invaluable knowledge base.

2. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

The problem is the generation out there now grew up with internet parts ordering. That's what they do, they don't even think of the local store. Like literally don't even remember there is one by the time they had already clicked submit on the internet.

That being said, my local dealers always have grips, helmets, oils, filters etc in stock. Hard parts not so much but I totally understand.

3. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

It’s not just bike parts. I use SEM trim paint in a rattle can occasionally. Because it’s a high end paint, only the local automotive finish places carry it. Trip to pick up a can 25 minuets one way. Go into one place I’d bought it before, they have it in satin, I need gloss. Three guys there, one ask if he can help. Yeah, I need SEM trim in gloss. They all look at each other like, what? I’ve bought it here before I say. They look in the book, then say oh yeah they make it, we can have it here tomorrow. No thanks, one trip to town is enough this week. Go to another store that’s close, I’ve bought it from them in the past too. Walk in, whole store is different now. Lady there ask, can I help you. I need SEM trim gloss black. She says, you want SEM or our brand. I’m thinking about being an ass, but refrain, SEM I say. She goes to the back, and reappears with SEM satin. I need gloss I tell her...again. She says we don’t have it and I’ve never had it here, you got a part number. I pull out my phone, look it up on SEMs site and hand it to her. She tells me again, they never had it here, but she can order it. I ask her about another lady who use to work there, she sold it to me. Oh, that was two years ago. I let that process a moment, then thanked her for her time and left. Ordered two cans on Amazon when I got home.

4. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Totally get it. I have tried over and over to utilize my local dealers...but every time I need something it's "we can order it". Well, I can order it and have it shipped to my door and not have wasted my time and gas going to the dealer. Pretty much done with them trying to get stuff. Not to mention, they give almost zero support to racers...

5. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

The other thing, though... I’ve bought stuff “online” but it came from a shop. Like from Ducshop or Seacoast, etc. Those are B&M shops that support racers. Do they not count as supporting a “local” business? Albeit not local to ME, but...

(serious question, not trying to argue)

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Stator and clutch cover gaskets, oil drain bolt and washer for GSXR 600, clutch cover gasket for a GSXR 1000.

That's a little irritating too when you know that you know more than the guy who is manning the parts/service desk. I always call ahead of time to make sure I'm not wasting my time driving there. Told him I need a stator cover gasket for an 07 gsxr 600. While he's searching through the system trying to find the part number I told him if he needs the # I can find it for him too. In literally 20 seconds I was on Ron Ayers site, found the part number in the fiche and gave it to him to save myself another 3 minutes of silence on the phone while he's getting lost on the computer on his side. :confused:

7. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Two local shops, one yamaha/honda, the other suzuki/Kawi. When I was looking for a bike in 200o the kawi shop had a 96 kawi 1000 that they wanted full price on and wouldn't deal. I bought a Triumph 995, great bike for the street, sold it when I started racing. Raced a ZXR400 for many years, lots of kawi parts cross over. I'd go in and tell them I wanted a part from a 600 that I knew crossed over. They ask what it was for and I'd tell them my 400. Sorry we don't have parts for it. I'd tell them the part for a 600, what year, they had to have a year, I'd give them a range and they'd ask for a specific year, look it up on the fiche then go look and tell me they didn't have it, give them another year and try again. Similar with the yamaha shop, R6 clutch friction plates work on the 400. They had to have a year even though I give them a range. Nope we don't have 2003, can you try 2004, computer says no. Idjets.

8. 418

418 Expert #59

Recently I had a old friend of mine purchase a brand new (first) bike from Honda dealer. It solidified my belief that this industry is pretty much its own worst enemy and will have to disappear up its own ass hole before things get better. OEMs need to wake up. The dealers are failing their target audience. The current business model doesn't work and its been like that for YEARS!

Funny enough, said friends brother purchased a Harley Davidson (also first bike) and his buying experience was much, much better. Surprise, surprise

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

You think that's because Harley is about selling a lifestyle, a more all encompassing experience as opposed to a Japanese [sport]bike that's just a "thing" for alot of people.

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

This is beginning to sound like individual's levels of shopping experience, or lack thereof. Like playing poker for the first time, unless you're lucky, you're gonna lose.

11. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

my hometown parts guy is awesome. He's known me since I was 5 years old and my first "real" job was behind the counter. Chuck is an anomaly it seems though. I swing by anytime I'm in town and end up talking for an hour or two to everyone in there. After 20 something years they are like family.

Nashville parts guys have been ok, not great, but I probably won't deal with them much until I have a little one riding bikes. The shops are too far away and usually don't have the parts I need. Not that I expect them too because they are usually speciality parts.

12. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

Yeah, but buying parts from your local dealer shouldn't be a gamble. It should be all about taking care of the customer to build a rapport to ensure repeat business. It's not fucking rocket science.

13. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

you'd hope a guy would be knowledgeable about that bike when it hasn't changed in 60 years and is put together with Technica sets of Legos. :cool:

Pixelator likes this.
  14. fastfreddie

With a dealership, you name the game.
    Online, you're looking for a game that suits you.

You can lose either way...or win.

There are certain sites I buy from (like HardRacing) cuz my dealer has no ties to the products those sites sell. I've had orders delayed in both cases. I then check another site (Revzilla) to see if the item is in stock, tho' they are not my first choice.
    I do not buy bike parts off Amazon. Ever.
    Tires come from one of our friendly track distributors (Stickboy), tho' that has, only once, led to a delay when buying quantity. The delay did not hinder my plans.
    As I've said before, you gotta plan ahead.

Some other purchases are directly from the MFG...PitBull, BrakeTech.

15. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Had a guy bring in a tire he bought online to mount yesterday. Build date code 3713 , thing is already hard !

16. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

And he's probably bitching to his buddies, or on a forum somewhere about how the local dealer tried to screw him by trying sell him a new tire, or not wanting to mount it cause he bought it online.

scottn and Boman Forklift like this.
  17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I just read something last week where a poster bought new tires that had 2012 date codes from a local dealer inventory...lol.

18. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

When I worked in a shop, if you bought the tires from us we gave you free mount and balance. If you brought a tire in, it was $25 per tire to mount and balance. Back then Parts Unlimited had Dunlop deals if you bought in bulk. We would buy $50,000 worth of tires in January and that supply would last all year. We could sell them cheaper than anyone else and always had people in line for tires...that being said, if I bring you a rim and buy a tire, I don't expect you to charge me full price to mount that tire as you would if you had to pull the rim off of a bike.

pscook likes this.
  19. fastfreddie

Reason number one to buy your own tire changer...it could pay for itself in one season. And if you have a little spare time, you could make some lunch money at trackdays.

TLR67 likes this.
  20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

That's actually not bad at all. I can recall a few dealers around here charging in the $70-80 range per tire if you brought your own.