1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The great trailer tire debate...

Discussion in 'General' started by omatter34, Jun 20, 2017.

1. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

On my way camping with the family last weekend and had a blowout the toy hauler on our way there. Completely my fault as I knew that tire was on it's way out, but decided to go camping at the last minute anyway. Didn't tear things up too bad. Just the plastic fender and another piece of trim behind that. Current tire size is a 225 75 15 and I don't really want to go to a 16" wheel. So what sayeth the beeb? Also, the tire that blew (passenger rear) was wearing a lot on the outside edge compared to all the other tires that are wearing evenly. What would cause that?

Attached Files:

2. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I'm on the new Goodyear Endurance right now. Only one trip so far on them to cycle Jam at Road Atlanta. That was 1000 mile trip and no issues and I ran 70 mph the whole way. Tires are rated to 75 mph and are D rated. I ran max psi of 65 like always. Hauler come with C rated tires in 15". They were reasonably priced shipped from tire rack dot com. Built in the USA.

3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

What load range is the tire?

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I still don't understand this. Car and truck tires go tens of thousands of miles at high speed with NO trouble, but 1000 miles at 70mph with no trouble on a trailer tire is something to brag about?

VFR#52 and Laz like this.
  5. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

As somebody who's new to the trailer/toy hauler game, how did you know you had a blowout? Did you hear it? Feel a change in handling? Noise of the tire slapping the trailer bodywork? Somebody pull up next to you and tell you?

6. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Not sure if Shawn has it but the answer is TPMS. I had 1 blowout that I didn't feel and kept on going. Was notified by a passing driver.
    Ordered a TST TPMS kit the next week. https://tsttruck.com/

VFR#52 and CRA_Fizzer like this.
  7. t11ravis

Bent axle maybe? I've never had that one so not sure.
    OEM tires Shawn? 3 out of 4 China bombs went on mine within the first year. Complete crap.
    Anyway, Discount Tire talked me into the new Carlisle trailer tires a couple years ago. No issues since. Some other good ones out there too depending on size, load range, etc.

8. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I did the exact same thing

roy826ex likes this.
  9. omatter34

Currently D but was planning to upgrade to E if possible in that size.

10. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

It's a crap shoot on "good" tires especially in 15" size, just some that are less crappy than others. You'll fine people with no problems with a given tire but others that had no luck at all.

2 I've ran that were ok are the Maxxis 8008 and currently the Carlisle Radial Trail RH. I get the Carlisle at Discount Tire since I can put road hazard protection on them for about $14 per tire and if a failure it just costs the road hazard fee for the new tire. So far no failures of the tires themselves but have had a couple replaced due to screws, etc I picked up in non-repairable areas of the tire.

And as above TPMS is your friend. I went with the Dill unit that James Bock sells. Podium Motorsports Pirelli.

11. omatter34

I felt it and knew immediately what happened. Looked into the mirror and the pieces of tire confirmed it.

VFR#52 likes this.
  12. omatter34

They were he factory tires with about 7500 miles on them. Toy hauler was purchased in 2014. The other tires still look okay.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Car tires don't have near the same stresses on them as trailer tires but yeah, 1k ain't all that :D

14. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

My answer has become quite predictable. Eff trailer tires, suck it up and go with the 16" LT (original on right, LT on left)

[​IMG]

It's insanity is what it is.

beechkingd, TurboBlew and t11ravis like this.
  15. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

3 years does seem to be max life on them no matter the miles

16. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Weird, I've never had a blow-out on any of my trailers, however I'm up on them and check tire pressures before every trip, replace them every 3-4 years and I don't overload them. You might be surprised how close you are to overweight on some of these tires. I also am not a great fan of torsion axles, yea a lot less moving parts, however you'd better have the trailer level otherwise you're likely overloading one axle all the time. I like the leafs with an equalizer hanger in the middle. Just my thoughts on that. I've seen both torsion and leaf axles with problems so they are not immune to it fo' sho'.

VFR#52 likes this.
  17. t11ravis

I think you just hit the nail on the head. Some of these trailers are just inherently overloaded for the tires they recommend.

VFR#52 likes this.
  18. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

On the wear thing, outside of one tire-- bent axle or worn out shackle bolts. Rebuilt mine, problem went away.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

This reminds me, I've got 5 black american racing steel wheels in the basement like what Kurt has on there, wonder if they'll fit trailers? Downside is they're 15's but 15x7. 5 on 5.5 lugs pattern.

20. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

I've had about 5 or 6 trailer tires go, and I've heard every one. Sounds like someone fired a shotgun outside the window. Depending how large your trailer is (double vs. triple axle) it'll sway a little bit right away too.