1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Formula One Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Watching that movie will put Senna higher up on your GOAT list.

2. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Isn't the first 5 minutes of the doc clips of drivers (including Schumacher, Hamilton, and the other usual suspects) saying Senna is the GOAT?

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

All that's needed to convince people is to see onboard footage of Senna qualifying at Monaco. If you're still arguing after seeing that, you're just a fan boi that no facts will sway. :D

I feel incredibly privileged to have seen it in person. And again, I hated the guy. Can't stress that enough.

noles19, OGs750 and DrA5 like this.
  4. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

The movie Senna did not paint Prost in a fair light, which the producers agreed they did not do on purpose.

5. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Mario, Surtees, and Mann. Rare, multi talented racers.

rd400racer likes this.
  6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

7. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I was gutted for Massa the year he lost the title to Hamilton at the last race.

8. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

While I know what Mario did and was old enough to be at the Detroit GP to see Senna, I really grew up idolizing JPM and Zinardi. Pretty sure Zinardi is the only pilot to win championships on 4 and 3 wheels.

9. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I guess I look at it as the movie didn't paint Senna or prost in a great light, it showed both their unique talents and upside and downsides, and how much they truly hated each other:crackup:.
    Now the French official of the fia it painted him like a complete douchebag..

Razr likes this.
  10. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

Senna and Prost were certainly both not saints. Senna was the more talented and faster of the two by far, but Prost was a little more cunning and played the political game better. Schumacher had the cunning / technical abilities / political side of Prost but with more speed. I think Lewis is a more like Senna if he knew how to play the politics better. That said, Senna's technical side was underrated as seen in an interview with Patrick Head as well as comments by Brembo about their relationship with the drivers.

All of them use the media to manipulate the narrative, and all the drivers still do.

Mario is a good story, but he crashed a lot in all the series he entered.

noles19 likes this.
  11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Balestre was an asshole, no question about it. I just now realized that I don't even remember when he died (I am assuming he is dead).

noles19 likes this.
  12. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

He died in 2008.

13. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

Go to 1:01 :)

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Come on, man. It's the start of the race. Cars are all over the place. Not playing fair. :D

r1owner likes this.
  15. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

I honestly thought Hamilton had car problems.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Not sure if she listened to his interview but I believe he explained why he was being extra cautious.

And unlike Schumacher in my video, he comprehensively embarrassed everyone in the race once he got going. But I didn't specify that you couldn't play dirty, so you get points anyway. :D

17. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

LOL! yeah he did a great job after for sure.

I think hamilton's racecraft is some of the best I've seen. I know a lot of it is his engineer deciding, but lewis seems to always reach down and get more out of the car when needed.

18. DrA5

A podcast I listened to, and I can't remember if it was Beyond the Grid, or F1 Nation, had one of the guys relevant to the documentary on Senna talk about the film. The one thing that was lost in the film was that Senna was a Honda man. He mainly worked with the Honda engineers and Japan, feeling that his responsibility was to Honda. Prost was a McLaren man, and worked more with the team/Ron Dennis. That separation was another aspect that caused divide in the team.

tiggen and HPPT like this.
  19. DrA5

I thought he pulled a "Rosberg at Spain 2016" move, where on lap 1 when Rosberg took out Hamilton, Rosberg had the wrong settings and was clipping for battery power on Lap 1, corner 2, which slowed him considerably.

20. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I chalk Mario's foibles to lack of any driver aids in most of his tenure.