1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Formula One Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jan 16, 2014.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Agreed, Mario was amazing for his versatility, as were Unser and Foyt.

Let's not forget that Rossi has been extremely competitive in a wide variety of racing genres, including (allegedly) an offer from Ferrari to drive on their F1 team.

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Oh, Lord, there we go again. :crackup:

Did you know that the Monza rally has been added to the WRC calendar this year to make up for cancelled races? Guess which seven-time winner is not showing up to race this year…

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    stk0308, noles19 and motion like this.
  4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

rd400racer likes this.
  5. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

No love for Jim Clark then?

6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Good point. I hate to admit that I damn near forgot about him. I did read a book about him; Jim Clark: Racing Hero. A fascinating gentleman.

7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

ungwaha, noles19 and scottn like this.
  9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Yea, he still has it. Put him in Bottas' car!

10. rwdfun

rwdfun

Walter Rohrl says hold his beer.

While in general WRC drivers get my nod, my recollection is that Loeb came onto the scene about the time they were switching from dirt to mostly pavement rallies. Old school WRC was for men. Loeb did do OK at Dakar but usually only on the stages that were more WRC like.

11. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Loeb is silly fast and in a conversation that's mostly centered around closed circuit racing, his name definitely should be mentioned. I firmly believe that if he wanted an F1 seat he would have gotten one.

12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

14. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Didn't he say he was thinking of doing Monza instead of racing the lambo in Dubai now that it's a wrc race?

15. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

To not put Hamilton into the running for greatest of all time seems disingenuous. I still think he races like a cock. But then who was the last multi year champion who didn't? Hakkinen? Prost?

And Nico would have been an idiot not to put Hamilton in his top five...because he beat him in the same car. I'd have put him at number 1!

16. noles19

You don't think prost drove like a cock?:eek::crackup:

17. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Did he? I wasn't old enough to see/know, so I phrased it as a quesiton.

I don't think Raikkonen drives like a cock. I don't think Rosberg or Button did. Did Damon Hill? Villeneuve? I've read a fair amount on F1 going back to Lauda, Stewart, Clark, etc. I don't remember ever reading about any of those guys (or the guys they drove against) driving others into barriers or off the track. Perhaps I just haven't found the right book. (Would love to hear suggestions.). Am I just looking at "the good old days" through rose tinted glasses?

I ask because I wonder if it is necessary to drive like a cock in order to be a multi year champion, which is every driver's goal. (Except Rosberg, apparently.) If so, I think that's a problem for F1. I want to celebrate heroes, not cocks.

Yzasserina likes this.
  18. noles19

Have you seen the movie Senna?
    Prost drove like a cock and complained like a cock off the track to get what he wanted

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You might get that impression watching it in a documentary but back in the day, that was not at all his reputation. He was a clean racer except for that first collision with Senna at Suzuka. He did complain a lot, though.
    If he did, he changed his mind. When the WRC sanction was announced, he said he was doing Dubai.

20. noles19

That's true I guess his dickness off the track with his attitude and complaining is mainly what I was thinking of.

The Rossi interview i saw where he was considering Monza was before he got covid, so not sure of the timing as far as the wrc official announcement.