1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Formula One Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jan 16, 2014.

1. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

Richard is on about 20 teams in open wheel racing,,,must be a nice watch..

2. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Their Tourbillons sell for anywhere between $500K to over $ 2 Million.

I don't think they have anything under $ 100K.

5. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

And I have no idea why. I understand they use exotic materials and have crazy movements/complications, but they're damn ugly.

DrA5 likes this.
  6. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Comparing a Formula 1 race car lap time to an Indy car lap time is like comparing MotoGp to MA Superbikes. Yeah they're both motorcycles with two wheels but that's about it. There's no way to compare the technology that is present in Formula 1 to Indy car. All that technology makes for boring ass racing though. Indy car is way more interesting with way more passing for the lead on the track, not in the pits.

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

On The Racer Channel interview with Sebastien Bourdais he said Indycar time compared to the F1 race time is a 4 second gap. No mention of anything different about the layout.

He also mentioned you're comparing cars that have DRS and whatnot vs a "stone age" race car in comparison.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  8. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Ferrari is claiming their matte finish for 2019 is worth 1/2 kph in extra speed over gloss and saves several hundred grams. While I'll won't contest the weight savings, my thought is if matte finish allows for extra speed, they would have used it before. I know Red Bull went matte at least a season or two ago, but matte finishes have been around long before that, to include in the road car segment.

I know in water, they went to a microscopically dimpled surface for submarines and such, mirroring the surface of the skin of both sharks and dolphins, as it "traps" a thin layer of water around the vessel, which then glides through water better as water on water than just a smooth surface against/in water. Maybe that is the same concept as matte finish?

laich528 likes this.
  9. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

How long til we see golf ball dimples all over the cars

10. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it's allowed, if it is there must be a reason they haven't done something like that by now.

11. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

12. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

So now hail damage will be in demand!! :D

13. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Trying to keep the costs down.

14. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I just finished the Mexico City Formula E race that I recorded on Saturday evening. It is embarrassingly better than any F1 race I remember from last year. What's happening to me?!

16. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

You want to be entertained, and if it means watching a series with slightly less money and technology, so be it.
    That's why I think IndyCar has become popular again, they put on a good show. It's a fun series to be around.

DrA5 likes this.
  17. Timothy Landon

Timothy Landon Well-Known Member

Do you guys think "any" driver is worth paying 40 to 50 million dollars a year to drive a race car?

18. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yes.

What I don't think is that anybody is worth that to pitch a ball.

19. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

When the team spends $300 million a year on the team, and doesn't go bankrupt in a year spending that, yeah the driver is worth it.
    But that's also rare, and I don't think any drivers make that per year from the team anymore.

20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Since Schumi is gone, nobody rates that kind of pay.