1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The fallout...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by pickled egg, Nov 9, 2016.

1. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Stupid should hurt.

Orvis likes this.
  2. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

I didn't believe it but then checked Dennis Miller for confirmation.

3. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Actually, without just California, Trump wins the popular vote by roughly 2 million.

4. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I must be misunderstanding. I thought you were saying that the Elector College was bad for Democracy.
    My God! Where did I go wrong?:)

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Democracy is bad for Liberty. :moon:

6. ductune

ductune Well-Known Member

It is bad for democracy unless you're a federalist.:D

Seriously, Why not do it at the congressional district level? Some states split the EC votes thereby disenfranchising fewer voters.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Because it's the office of the President of the United States. Not the President of the Plurality of the Congressional Districts.

And you do recall how congressional districts are allocated, right?

8. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Yes it is, a democracy is where the people vote directly for the laws by rule of the majority. This is different from voting for a representative, a senator to vote for defining the laws or the EC for POTUS. In reality, the terms have been used for both thus the confusion.

9. ductune

There is one electoral college vote for each congressional seat. Think of it as a way to have more detailed data relative to the choice of the people.

The redistricting fights would continue but that's not a good reason to round off the vote by state when the EC itself is set up by congressional seats.

10. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:stupid:
    Isn't it interesting how as we become more "civilized" some people become bigger assholes due to lack of consequences. I remember people being alot more polite when there was the risk of getting a fist in the teeth.

cav115, JTW and speeddaddy like this.
  11. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

What's a 30% error, when you are just having some fun?

Orvis likes this.
  12. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

You guys just don't give up . LMAO

13. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

57.3M - 55.2M seems pretty close to 2 million to me as reported by politico/bbc/others but Wiki has different numbers. More fake news or just bad fact checking?

14. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Maybe they need it run by the new fact checkers. Simple math isn't enough for them. :crackup:

15. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

You are completely right. I forget to consider the wording used in today's discussions. A lot of us tend to look at the word "Democracy" and forget that it is not actually what we have here which is a "Representative Republic."
    We must learn to say what we mean more clearly. :(

16. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

If we can somehow disperse all the large concentrations of liberal voters, tear down the large cities, and move all of them into the countryside where maybe they'll learn more about the lives of other people, we might have more luck with elections decided on by the voters themselves. Fat chance huh. :)

17. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Every source of data i have seen puts the number at ~1.4 M.
    Here is one example.
    Amazingly, this number appears all over the right-wing nutter sites as well. Whose math is bad?

18. ductune

OK, that one made me smile..:D

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay - you guys can save yourself some typing if you want. We are a republic. Don't need to add representative. Add constitutional if you feel like typing more.

20. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

The Cook matches Wiki which matched the FEC for California. The FEC won't release the final total #s until mid-2017. but list states.