1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The end of depression era liquor monopolies

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by H8R, Nov 10, 2011.

1. mikendzel

mikendzel Anonymous

Your chart also says that 29 out of 50 states vote red....

An interesting note:
    While MD is not state run, the city of Ocean City, MD has all sales run through the city liquor board. Literally, all bars in Ocean City buy their alcohol from the liquor board. And the head of the liquor was busted for embezzlement at his last job.

I worked in Arkansas for a month back in 2007. In that particular area Scott County, the churches had acquired all of the liquor licenses and shut down ALL liquor sales. To get alcohol, you had to drive up to Ft. Smith, a 45 minute drive. It was kinda like 'Footloose!'

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  2. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

Sorry, the map was how each state has voted in the last 4 presidential elections. I thought I made that clear in my post.

3. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

If you only look at the state that have stayed red or blue it is split 5 blue and 6 red. Until now when Washington got the law changed it was 6 and 6. I don't really see any correlation between how they vote and the liquor laws.

4. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Still several dry counties in Arkansa. That bad part is the church folks that fight to keep alcohol out all know exactly what is meant by "we're heading to the line" because they go to the wet counties to get alcohol.

I grew up in Saline County which is dry. We had to go to Hot Spring County(Hot Springs, AR) or Pulaski County(Little Rock) to get alcohol. Or use the local bootleggers. Never slowed us down. Didn't keep us from drinking.

Just dumb shit. They've finally voted to allow the serving of alcohol in Saline County.

This alcohol thing is a church thing and not a partisan thing. The bible belt is loaded with yellow dog Democrats that are hardcore Baptist... they drink but only around those they can trust to no talk about it. :D

5. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Yep. As a child when Dad would have the occasional beer he would let us boys have a very small glass of it. It was just a couple swallows worth but it was the coolest thing in the world when you're 8 yo.

It was all part of his plan though. In high school when my friends were scoring beer and sneaking around behind their parents backs, I was completely indifferent to drinking the stuff. Didn't really like the taste, and it was just no big deal to drink. As a result, my brothers and I never drank much and certainly never got in trouble because of it.

You can't shield your kids from things with the hope that that will keep them from those things as they get older.

6. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

Same thing in my family. Except it was wine, and my dad and uncles made it.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

My uncle let me taste his beer once when I was a little kid. It was so nasty I did not taste one again until I was well into my 20s.

8. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Dad never drank much at home. About the only time he ever drank was his company events like Christmas parties and when the company had their big fishing trip every year. He would get drunk at the Christmas parties. That shit was hilarious when he got home. Dad was a goofy happy drunk. :D

9. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Wow. Los Angeles County may be a commie hole, but at least the religious whackos aren't in charge. I guess every part of the country sucks in its own special way.

10. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Why do all the religous nutjobs give a shit who drinks? Why do religous types always have to inflict their views on everyone else? I'm convinced it's their personal insecurity of their own beliefs. They can't stand to hear an opposing viewpoint or differing opinion... might actually get somone asking questions.

Don't like to drink, then don't. Stay the fuck out of my business about it if I want to. Didn't Jesus turn a buncha water into wine? Is that story not in the revised bibles anymore or something?

I'm glad I live in Wisconsin. Hell, I can go get a cold beer at 8am on a Sunday just about anywhere - gas station, liqour store, gorcery store, Target, farmers market (seriously)...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  11. Stirz

Stirz Makes my butt look big

Ain't gonna happen here in Utah. The State Board that regulates liquor sales is populated by teetotalers. That, and the majority of the population believe you shouldn't be drinking in the first place. And Third, I don't think the State is in any hurry to give up that captive revenue stream. At the end of the day, not that big of a deal - State Liquor stores are around - you just gotta stock up ahead of time - (no late-night runs in these parts).

12. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Uh Oh! You're gonna end up eating those words in a few short years. When your little boy is playing and falls down and scratches his knee on a rock in the yard, (You are going to have a boy ya know):) he'll come in the house crying and showing you his skinned knee and you'll get all whiny and say, "Did that mean ole rock hurt your knee?

He'll grow up to be one of those "booze sales killed my friend" people and you will have yourself to thank. :):)

13. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

To all those nutjob Religious people, drinking alcohol is a sin. Thus, they want everybody to not drink it because it would be bad for them. Isn't it wonderful how they look out for everyone elses welfare? :beer:

Up until a few years ago we used to have (in Texas) a set of "blue laws." These were laws where, for example, on Sunday you could buy a hammer, but you couldn't buy nails. There were several law like this. We finally got most of them thrown out but with booze you still cannot buy any until after something like 1PM on Sunday. Since most churches have services from about 10 AM to 12 AM they figure that can "encourage" people to go ahead and to to church because you can't buy booze until after that.

14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Catholics certainly have nothing against alcohol. The Knights of Columbus is basically a drinking organisation.

Massachusetts at one time tried changing the blue laws that forbade liquor sales on Sunday, so that only stores within a certain number of miles of bordering states that allowed Sunday sales would be exempt from the laws. Liquor store owners near NH realized they were taking a beating on not only Sunday sales, but weekday sales, since people would stock-up on the cheaper liquor in NH.
    They always run sales, too, so you can get some good buys.

15. mikendzel

mikendzel Anonymous

I agree Scotty, except that it's not necessarily "religious types." What we see here is the same perversion as "liberal types." It has little to do with actual religion, as you point out in your example of Jesus turning water to wine. Rather it has more to do with some people on this planet feel entitled to make decisions on the behalf of others.

It's liberalism at its finest. Ironic huh? The far right, wrapped around and joined the far left... somewhere far away from the how things should be.

16. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

In Arkansas it's weird how much the laws change from county to county. The State sort of stays out of it.

In TN we have state laws which the counties and towns can further restrict. For instance, State law requires all liquor sales/consumption at bars/restaurants stop at 3am 7 days a week but some areas restrict that more.

17. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I've experienced way more atheist push there views than I ever have religious people. The tolerance level with atheists is terribly low. Stay out of areas where the laws don't suit you or work to change them. Kind of like what we did here in Kingston, TN a coupld of years ago. Got our drinking laws changed now you can have a nice cold alcoholic refreshment with a meal or at the bars in town.

See, we can play this game too. ;)

18. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

Um. I don't think so. I detest people who don't take responsibility for themselves and their actions, those spoon-fed behaviors will not be passed onto my offspring. Little shit will be hauling water up from his hand-dug well to make mommies moonshine in the bathtub.

Besides, I am the biggest klutz I know and I don't blame the shit I trip over for my injuries.

19. Stirz

Stirz Makes my butt look big

Damn I do miss a couple of things about living in Louisiana, though. Drive-through daquiri stands on a hot summer day (Why? because you can!). Liquor aisle right next to the produce section at the grocery - very convenient.

20. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Know what - normally I would feel duty bound to argue with you on this one as one of the beeb's few LWNs, but...well, you're not really wrong.

Prost! :beer: