1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ben. Again.

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Jun 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I am curious - how many of you who feel Ben owes something to someone go into work for free or would jump ship to another job where you had to take money out of your savings and pay them to work at that company?

VFR#52 and Gorilla George like this.
  2. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

I know Herrin is racing on a one year contract, Gerloff is on year two of a two-year contract, and is Toni on a one year as well? That would just leave Cam with the only one guaranteed for anything next year?

The irony is Wayne was talking about more manufacture involvement for next year. Who knows... rumors are rumors.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

NASCAR never had anything to do with motorcycle roadracing. That was Roger Edmondson and his decisions no matter what other companies his boss was/is a part of.

Agreed on the rest, it is better than it was and is getting batter yet. I don't agree with all of the decisions based on my own experience over the years but sometimes just as we do, they have to try things out and see if they work on their own.

VFR#52 likes this.
  4. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

No racing contracts are guaranteed. There is always an "out" clause for both parties.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Disagree on the star part.

6. 418

418 Expert #59

Exactly.

And how many realize that if he just came back to ride for free it would be doing disservice to the other riders on the grid that might be getting paid. That is pretty well sending a message that world class talent isn't worth anything.

VFR#52 and Gorilla George like this.
  7. Henrybgood2

Henrybgood2 Well-Known Member

W
    • Which manufacturers have they lost? They helped bring Honda back in but the performance forced them back out (same with Ten Kate in WSBK). Until Yamaha or Suzuki announce they are leaving, then I'd say its just rumors. How many factory teams are in BSB?
    • Lost a few privateer teams and gained a few.
    • I don't think "Have had t0" is the right way to look at it. From what I understand they are looking at better ways to improve the show for fans and save money for the teams. They have been asking for teams input on the two-day idea.
    • Poaching club racing? Not sure what that means. IndyCar last weekend had Mazda Miata and Radical Cup racing as support races, does that make IndyCar a club racing series?
    • Agree on attendance, but it looks like it is improving. Selling tickets to anything these days is not easy, ask Nascar. Looking at COTA MotoGP attendance, it was also down from the previous year
    • I'm sure Ford is not a big deal, but for some reason they made a step into the series
    • Yes, motorcycle provide awesome racing, always has. I'm just glad I have the chance to watch it on FS2, NBC Sports and yes, I pay $4.99 a weekend to watch the club racing for 8 or so hrs a weekend. Looking at the TV stats on MA's site, it looks like viewership is up 150% or more per round over last year so more people other then just me seem to also be watching.
    • I also know that they guarantee money to some teams and have a separate Superbike purse on top of the guarantee, I don't think that was done prior to MotoAmerica taking over.
    • I also just read on Superbike Planet that MA agreed a 10 year extension with the AMA, so it looks like they are in for the long haul.
    So some of those things look better then what I remember from DMG days. Didn't JU have to step in and start a series because of the lack of races on the national schedule?

Dragginass likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He asked for Yosh bikes. He could have built a Yosh level team had he so chosen but he wanted to buy one already done. They weren't going to sell him theirs.

All of the crap the OEM's got for that was pure bullshit, he didn't hire the right team to make his stuff competitive in Superbike, that isn't the OEM's fault.

VFR#52 likes this.
  9. Mot Okstef

Said with no personal bias whatsoever. :crackup:

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Mongo was running a pro series at one point, Wayne was one of the team owners :D

VFR#52 and G 97 like this.
  11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Did Spies have an insurance policy that paid off when he had to retire? Would he have to pay that back if he returned?

Might have been answered but I can't remember.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What did I say that was wrong? I'd love to tap into your wealth of knowledge of racers and racing :D

VFR#52 likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, none at all. I know a lot of racers, some are stupidly famous and most are not. Ben is still famous, still has fans, still gets bugged for autographs, still a star by everything normal people would use to determine that. Whether I'll hang out with someone and have a beer has absolutely no effect on that. Although every once in a while it does get a little surreal when you have one world champ introduce you at a bar to another world champ or two.

VFR#52 likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Don't think so.

15. Mot Okstef

Just channeling my inner Skip on your Spies ball rubbing. ;)

16. 418

418 Expert #59

My FB was blowing up with Spies news from WSBK this weekend. He still has some clout.

Just because people here love to shit on our own riders doesn't mean the rest of the world agrees.

If you fucks hate roadracing so bad just fucking leave already. Jesus.

VFR#52 likes this.
  17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What do you want him to do? Pretend that the 400-lb man standing next to him isn't there? :D

VFR#52 and Robby-Bobby like this.
  18. Mot Okstef

Like that's never happened to anyone else except you before. :rolleyes:

All hail King Mongo. Bow down to his greatness! :D

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

No need to be politically correct. Tell us how you really feel about Tom. :D

Mot Okstef and 418 like this.
  20. Mot Okstef

If I leave, where do you suggest I go? ;)

I already don't watch much MotoA because of their stupid pay subscription to watch all the races when they were all previously available to watch on my cable package. If you want to promote a series and gain new fans, don't make people pay extra to see races that were previously available through your normal cable/satellite package. :rolleyes: