1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ben. Again.

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Jun 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Calling it a failure is out and out wrong. For the most part they are doing a great job and things are getting better. Every weekend they race there are some great races to watch.

Do I believe things are the best they could be? Absolutely not, but they are far from a failure.

2. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

-The have lost manufacturers
    -They have lost large privateer teams
    -They have had to consolidate to 2 day weekend
    -They have to poach club racing to get a turn out at the track
    -The attendance at races sucks
    -They suck at getting out side of the Industry money

There has always been great racing. That’s provided by the teams and riders Not the Promoter.

What’s better?
    Oh yea right you can PAY to watch club racing on TV.

Like I said the truth hurts.

Ride safe,
    AAron

VFR#52, Robby-Bobby and Mot Okstef like this.
  3. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

True. A different perspective is that those of us who are fortunate enough to excel in our professional lives, beyond the majority of our peers, should recognize that we had help at critical junctures. The big whirligig of human progress grabs another gear when we pay it forward.

SuddenBraking and turner38 like this.
  4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Curious about this one. In what ways that a failure? Were Fridays major spectator events in the past?
    You can pay it forward outside of racing. Bill Gates is not out there building computer science schools.

tophyr likes this.
  5. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

You are attributing industry-wide problems to a race organization, and that is neither fair nor accurate. One could just as easily argue that despite industry struggles, they have solidified a series that was in deep trouble.

Gino230, jd41 and 418 like this.
  6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I don't think Ben owes us anything. He dedicated his life 24/7 to this sport, worked hard, used his gifts, gave us lots of entertainment on a national and world level. He made us proud for a bit on the world stage. I'm really grateful for what he accomplished. I think he's earned the right to blab on a bit about what he may or may not do in the future. If nothing else, it gives us something to talk about. All good.

VFR#52, CR750, grasshopper and 4 others like this.
  7. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

They full well knew what they were buying.
    If it was that bad they should of stayed away from it.

But explain to me what they are doing that is so drastically different? Also what type of success it has led to with the series because right now the series is about to flop.

Ride safe,
    AAron

VFR#52 likes this.
  8. Dragginass

Viewability. Accessibility. Professionalism. New class structure.

Wayne knew what he was getting in to. Not sure how that's relevant?

9. Knotcher

Bruh. That wasn't like you. You usually have your research on point. He's literally donated 10s of millions of dollars to building computer science schools. His foundation also focuses 10s of millions (if not 100s) on k-12 education.

Also, I think attempting to end malaria deaths is paying forward to the system writ large. Lastly, it isn't as if the technology sector is in need of help.

10. Knotcher

Yeah, I don't see the problem with him talking about it.

11. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

I could watch the races on SpeedTV free back in the day or streamed online free.

What wasn’t professional about the series in the past?
    But while we are at it MotoAmerica is no longer just a professional series it’s now Pro/Am.

Accessibility to what? There has always been access to the paddock.

You said that wide spread industry problems are the issue. I pointed out that they knew that going in so it's very relevant it can’t be used as an unforeseen problem.

I for the life of me can’t understand why people defend a for profit company unless they work for it. Lol

Ride safe,
    AAron

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    VFR#52 likes this.
  12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, I meant "just" computers, was too lazy to fix.

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Whatever. You get the L for the day. :p

14. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I don’t think the question is “Is MotoAmerica a failure”. I think the question is “would another organizer do better?” Given the pedigree, skills and passion of the people running the series, and the previous big money orgs that took a run at this I believe that’s a resounding no.

Don’t define success as what this looked like in the 90s - late 2000s. The market simply won’t support that. What a successful series looks like then and now are worlds apart.

Motorcycle road racing is obviously total shit as a business in ‘Murica. So bad that the NASCAR org couldn’t even make it work. Be happy there’s people like Wayne Rainey and Evelyne who are passionate about this, they could make at least 10x more money applying their skills and time elsewhere.

Dave250, jd41, 5axis and 2 others like this.
  15. Dragginass

Same as I would defend WERA, and they are for profit. Regardless of what happens you know the people have the racer's interests in mind, and they love the sport. I get the same vibe from MA.

But none of that is what this discussion was. My opinion (and you're welcome to have a different one ...) Is that Spies acts like he wants a large paycheck, and a factory ride, from a series he isn't involved in. He wrongfully thinks he is above the current level of competition, IMO. He has the "right" to whatever the heck he wants to do, and owes nothing. My opinion, nothing more, but I do think it's telling that Yosh didn't let him test.

jd41, Mot Okstef and Gorilla George like this.
  16. Dragginass

Bingo. You can't blame MA for the overall market conditions/threshold. They are successful within the confines they operate, and even comparatively so to DMG.

TX Joose likes this.
  17. I don’t think he owes anyone shit.

He was born with a natural talent. He then worked hard to develop it, and did what was necessary to achieve a career based on that talent.

Just like any other job, he signed the Contracts, put in the work, and was compensated accordingly.

As soon as the Contract is fulfilled, his work is done. There is nothing stated anywhere that he owes anyone anything afterwards.

My skillsets, personality, etc were all tailor made for the oilfield. With those traits and my work ethic, I advanced through the ranks quickly. There are few people in the world with my expertise. That is why I am paid what I am paid.

I sign the Contract, do what needs to be done, and I am compensated accordingly. When I get old, I will walk away not feeling as if I owe the oilfield shit. The oilfield didn’t “give” me anything, I worked for that shit.

Racing was Ben’s job. Just because it is a physical activity that he enjoys doing, it was still a job nonetheless.

Some people want to stay in the sport and do things after their primary job is done, some don’t. It is their choice, not a debt they have to pay.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    SpeedyE, Dave250, TX Joose and 3 others like this.
  18. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

THAT is fucking WINNING right there! :cool:

And also why he can afford to buy all the bottled water in the world. :D

19. Only when someone pisses me off. :D

Mot Okstef likes this.
  20. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

+ 3