1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ben. Again.

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Jun 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

G 97 likes this.
  2. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Plus I believe Schwantz was out doing coaching at schools and track days, so he had been on a bike around a track at decent speed even if he hadn't raced in 15 years.

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

I’m a spies fan, but it really doesn’t sound like a guy that has his heart in the idea of coming back. Maybe I’m reading it wrong but the statement in the RRW article of

“I just want to get something going again where I’m working with a manufacturer and get a streetbike and do some trackdays for fun and do some social media stuff for them”

I understand not wanting to spend a million of your hard earned $ on supporting a team so you can go racing. But not being willing to spend $25,000 of your $$ to build your own trackday bike and go see how you’re doing is a little silly to me.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

5. Dragginass

6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Banditracer and Dragginass like this.
  7. Dragginass

If I were Wayne I'd tell Ben he's welcome to come race, but he has to start off back in Twins Cup:D

But seriously, WTF was Ben thinking?

motoboy, 418, scottn and 1 other person like this.
  8. dantheman

dantheman Yeah, it hurt.....

Shots fired!!!!!!!! LOL

“And despite what Ben Spies says, it’s well-funded.” Varner continued. “I guess the rhetorical question I would ask is, ‘Who is Ben Spies to comment on our finances?’ He doesn’t know us. He hasn’t seen the financials. He used to race. Is he even relevant now? “

The Great One, jd41, scottn and 3 others like this.
  9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Regardless of all the back and forth and whatever one thing that kind of has been gnawing at me is Ben looking for a bike to do some track days and judge his speed. He is considering two manufacturers and and whatever. Why doesn't he just buy a trackday bike and head to the track? He has (had?) a van to haul his dirty bike if I remember right, throw his trackday bike in the back and go.
    Unless he wants manufacturer backing to win trackdays. Full factory ride at NESBA (who sucks)!!!! Woot!

Maybe they'll pay him to do trackdays as well?

Okay, that was my being a dick series of comments for the day. Carry on. :D

Bloodhound likes this.
  10. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

If he wanted I am pretty sure he could get a coaching gig with one of the schools or track day organizations. They would probably even find a bike for him to ride, but he would have to take care of the rest of the expenses. He seems like he wants to be above all that, which is funny since even Rossi is training the next generation.

11. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

It definitely seems like he's not even considering a trackday unless someone else is footing the bill. Really? I like Ben, and nobody can disregard his achievements, but seriously dude shut the F up unless you're willing to put on your big boy pants.

The Great One, masshole, Laz and 3 others like this.
  12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Well, this has taken a turn.

418 likes this.
  13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Proof again that one should never pass up a golden opportunity to keep their mouth shut.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  14. crazymofo

crazymofo Then i was like...Braaap!

What sayeth the beeb?

Attached Files:

15. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

“But again for me, looking back when I’m not a spokesperson for anybody, I know for sure MotoAmerica is losing seven figures a year and there’s no way they’ll keep doing it no matter what licensing rights,” said Spies

An NONE of them disputed this...

The AMA was losing over million dollars a year...has nothing changed?

G 97 and Robby-Bobby like this.
  16. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Laryngytis would serve Ben better than him actually speaking anymore about it.

code3ryder likes this.
  17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

And I'm sure you didn't do that on purpose at all. :crackup:

18. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

This sucks to see. Loved Ben but put up or shut up. Like has been said before, build a bike, go race WERA and see where you're at.

turbulence likes this.
  19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Didn't plan on it. I'm a fan of Ben. Not really into the other stuff besides seeing him on a bike racing someplace I can watch.

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

They said something like "he doesn't know our financials" or some crap like that.

That'd be my reply when I didn't want to talk numbers but wanted to give the person an FU.

Dragginass likes this.