1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 2019 Oscars

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Steeltoe, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

If the ratings we're bad before I can't imagine what they will be this year.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

The Oscars.....

[​IMG]

StaccatoFan, BHP41 and Phl218 like this.
  3. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

I used to like watching until around ‘95, then quit. Then I just started looking to see the nominees for planning the movies to watch in case there was something I missed during the year. Today it just a political lecture by a bunch of actors patting themselves on the back. No thank you.

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

This is the first time in ages I watched any of it. The set is garbage.

5. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

6. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

I only watch when my niece's husband is nominated for anything. Nothing this year.

7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

And the winner goes to...........

Who gives a fuck!

bigtime likes this.
  8. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Who Gives a Fuck can’t be here tonight. Accepting for it will be its partner Nobody Gives a Fuck.

ineedanap, Chris and TLR67 like this.
  9. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

I honestly never saw the importance of these shows. A bunch of out of touch celebrities giving each other awards for make believe acting and taking turns getting on stage to thank each other. Why anyone would ever watch that is beyond me.
    Now they have all morphed into political activists and they seemingly can't just thank their buddies for their successes. They need to use the platform to bash Trump.
    Not only would I pass, I'd fight you if you tried to make me watch those assholes.
    Same can be said for the Grammys, but at least they perform a little. Gonna miss that one too though.

kangasj likes this.
  10. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I agreed to watch it with the wife (until I fell asleep around 10:30 PM Eastern). There was some political crap this year, but honestly it wasn't as bad as it has been in the past, at least up to that point. Maybe not having a host helped with that.

The two musical performances were decent.

Spike Lee jumping into the arms of Samuel Jackson was a funny. Then the first 20 seconds of his acceptance speech was bleeped out.

11. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

I take it there was no mention of their fellow actor Jussie, or the harm he has done to race relations among other things...

No, I didn't watch.

12. Spang308

Not sure, but I'd guess they were silent on that topic while calling a president who has actively pursued policies beneficial to minorities and facilitated the lowest black and hispanic unemployment in history a racist.
    Wonder if these elitist ass hats ever listen to themselves and realize how fucking stupid they sound?

StaccatoFan likes this.
  13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Do people actually watch the"We are so proud of ourselves for pretending we are someone else" award shows?

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The Oscars: the show that gets a thread every year so people can tell the world how much they don't care about it. :crackup:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    jase, Dan Dubeau, Robby-Bobby and 2 others like this.
  15. Spang308

At least we are passionate in our hatred of it...and consistent according to your research. :D

16. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I just wanna what hotel they ended up at. He tapped it. Fo sho.

[​IMG]

18. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

My wife mostly watches it to kibitz with her friends about the the clothes the women wear. Usually we haven't seen most of the movies. One interesting change this year is they let NetFlix movies in on the game. In the past if it wasn't released for the big screen in theaters, no award for you. The world is changing.

As stated previously the amount of Trump bashing was significantly down (at least until around 10:30) from previous years.

Most people just thanked the people they worked with and their family.

Apparently Spike Lee was pretty upset about the winning picture being a "White man rescues Black Man" picture. I have not seen it but as I understand it a 1950's or 60's black performer hires a white Jersey boy to be his bodyguard. They end up life long friends. Sounds like a great example of how race relations should go to me, except the parts where the bodygaurd has to protect the performer against racist a-holes of course. That should never be necessary but would be a realistic representation of that time period.

19. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

He's angry because he didn't win. Thats all, he's an egocentric POS that uses race to make himself money. Thats it.

cav115, StaccatoFan, Ty and 1 other person like this.
  20. G 97

G 97 Garth

Meh, let them have their night of heighten self righteousness.
    It only hi lights their true whacko essence.
    Same old whackos, different day.