1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TGPR Race Report: 08-27-00

Discussion in 'Race Reports' started by Jeffro510, Sep 7, 2000.

1. Jeffro510

Jeffro510 Hand bra for hire!!!!

Short Version:

Strange weather, turned better lap times on the GSXR, rain tires rule, Stevie Ray Vaughan rocks. Lots of rain Sunday morning and early afternoon (at least 2"), first race 600 Superbike (in the rain) finished 6th out of 10. Last race 600 Supersport, ran a great race with my friend Caesar but he had the power on me (102 compared to my 92 hp), finished on his back tire 9th out of 10 (one crashed out so it was last).

Very Long Version:

I knew going into this weekend that I was going to run my best. I just felt good. I had the bike to Motoace and they corrected a stuck valve and sync'd the carbs and the bike was definitely running better. We only gained 1 or 2 hp, but it felt stronger and was running better.

Saturday: Got to the track around 8 am, found my buddy David Crandall (RS125) and unloaded and set up pit with him. He was there on Friday for practice along with his friend Kevin (TZ250). Lucky for me, Kevin had a generator there so I had somewhere to plug in my tire warmers. They run the track at Talladega in both directions, alternating race weekends, and this weekend we were running counter-clockwise. I got the warmers on and was getting ready for my first practice session when I realized that I hadn't checked the tire pressures. I went over and asked the tire guys what the pressure should be hot, and they told me that they only knew the cold pressures. Oh well. Took the warmers off and went out for first practice. It had been about 2 months since I last raced, so I took it fairly easy for the first few laps. Tracee Polcin (an FZR400 racer) was out on our practice session so I just jumped in behind him and followed him around for a couple of laps. I started to feel comfortable and so I passed him and started to pick up the pace a little more. Right after I passed him we came through turn one, I got on the gas and the back of the bike slid around at least a foot, then grabbed and tried to spit me off. I saved what was a sure high side, and contribute that to my California Superbike School training. I didn't tense up, I just stayed relaxed and in the throttle and the bike corrected itself. It did kick me out of the seat and my foot came off of the peg, but I pulled myself back up on the bike and took a glance back. Tracee and another rider were about 4 or 5 bike lengths behind me and got an awesome view of the slide. The rear tire broke loose on me several other times during the practice session so I figured it was time to change tires. After the practice Tracee came over and said that he never saw anyone save a slide like the one I had. he said he backed off because he knew that I was getting launched. I'm glad I was able to prove him wrong. After the tires cooled off, I checked the pressure and the rear was over inflated. I dropped the pressure to where it was supposed to be and bingo, no more slides. Second practice was uneventful, and I was feeling great on the bike and able to carry the same corner speed as the fastest guys there, they would just fly by me on the straights. Same old story as all year, we are down on power. After practice I packed up and headed to the house.

Sunday: Heading up to the track it looked like a threat of rain. It was over cast and drizzled on the highway. First practice there wasn't any rain and I had a great practice session, definitely going faster than I had in the past. The tires were great, plenty of traction and no unwanted slides. I was able to run with a few of the other experts in practice so I was feeling great. Before second practice came around, it started to rain. I swapped the wheels and put the rain tires on. I had never raced on rains before, so I had no idea what to expect. By the time I went out for second practice, it was raining solid and the track was completely wet. I went out right behind a guy on DOT's so I figured that I should be able to at least run the same pace as him. Man was I wrong. I was able to run a lot faster than him. It only took me a few laps to feel confident on the rain tires and before I knew it I was dragging my knees through the corners in the rain!!!! Rain Tires RULE!!!! By the middle of my practice session, it was raining very hard and there was very little visibility and standing water all over the track. The only way that I knew there was a bike in front of me was from the tire marks in the water. I was still able to keep the same pace and kept dragging knees until the practice was over. I came in soaked through, my leathers probably weighed about 50 lbs more, and I was grinning from ear to ear. That was fun. By the time I had come off the track the gang from the Floribama Riders started showing up. Greg, Michael, Jeff, Tim and Cathy, Ryan, Lloyd, and Louis all were there. By now the rain was coming down good and there was no doubt that at least the first couple of races of the afternoon were going to be wet races, so I left the rains on. Jen and Jacob showed up right around lunch. The races were delayed for about 30 to 45 minutes due to the lightening that was hitting all around the track. When they finally started to race, the races were cut to 6 laps to be able to get them all in. I entered 600 Superbike (race 2) and 600 Superstock (race 11). I was gridded in row 2 for 600 Superbike. I got my usual terrible start and was last into turn 1. It was still raining pretty heavy. Since I had such a good practice on the rains I quickly passed 4 guys in the first lap, and started trying to catch the guy in front of me. Every lap I was pulling him in more and more. I got the white flag and he was still a good bit ahead of me, so I tried one last hard lap to see if I could catch him. I got closer but not close enough. I finished 6th out of 10, about 5 bike lengths back from 5th. I was very happy with my finish. The rain worked as an equalizer for my lack of power. I looked back as I crossed the finish line and I couldn't see anyone else so I ran hard enough to get a gap between me and whoever finished behind me. It was a very wet but very exciting race for me. I had a blast.

My next race wasn't until race 11, so I had some time between races. Instead of just hanging out and socializing with my friends and family, I was stressing out. The reason is because Mother Nature decided to keep the weekend interesting and stop raining. Race 6 the track was still wet. Race 7 there were people going out on rains, and people on slicks. Jeff, Greg, and I decided that by race 9 we would make a decision on the tires, and stick with it. By Race 9 there was a dry line and the sun was out, and the word came from Big Daddy (Greg) "Let's swap them!!!" So we do the wheel changing shuffle to get the DOT's back on. I had the warmers on them while they were off the bike so they were nice and toastie by the time we got them on. Good call Big Daddy, it paid off. The track was definitely dry enough for the DOT's. Race 11- 600 Supersport I was gridded on the 3rd row. Once again, just like clock work, terrible start. Last into turn 1. I really need to work on my starts!!!! This time going into turn 1 there was almost a pile up and I had to run wide to avoid some of the other riders. I put my head down and rode the GIXXER hard. My friend and fellow competitor Caesar was directly in front of me and managed to get a couple bike length lead on me. By the end of the first lap I managed to gain a little ground on him. On the second lap it was obvious to me that I could at least run with him so I pushed hard in the corners and got right up on his back tire. When we got through the corner he pulled out a bit. (He has 102hp compared to my 92) It was the same the whole race, I would pull him in through the corners and he would pull out on the straights. On the last lap coming through the last turn I managed to get up next to him, with my front wheel even with his foot peg, but he pulled enough to stay ahead of me into turn 1. I was carrying full speed through the left hand sweeper leading onto the back straight away. I was braking late and cornering hard to keep with him hoping that I could find a way around him. Coming through the last turn I got up next to him again and we drag raced to the finish line with him getting there first with about a bike length lead. I finished 9th out of 10, but someone dropped out, so it was last, but it was a great race. The thing I remember the most about the race was seeing Greg and the guys cheering me on from the pit wall. I could tell they were almost as excited as I was about the race.

Overall, it was a great race weekend. I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of traction available on the rain tires. I managed to drop my lap times again in the dry into the low 1:05's and high 1:04's. I need to thanks everyone who makes this possible. First and foremost is my wife Jennifer and son Jacob. I couldn't do it with out their constant support. Jen told me that this was the first time that Jacob was actually cheering me on while I was racing yelling "go Da-Da, Go". He's only 2, but look out!!!! I want to thank Greg "Big Daddy" Calhoun for the support that he has given me this season and putting the best bike under me that he can. We have an R6 on the way, so hopefully we will have a fighting chance. I would also like to thank all of the Floribama Riders for all of the help that they have provided throughout the year. Now for the sponsors: Thanks to Big Daddy Racing, Ferodo Brake Tech, Bridgestone, Intuitive Race Products, Lockhart Phillips USA, Arai, Blaze Cycle Worx, Traxxion Dynamics, "Bell's Angles", Mary Lou's Team, In Your Face Photography, and Pit Bull.

This was a combined weekend for the Mid-Central and Southeast Regions, and the last race for the Mid-Central region. My finishes put me in 7th place out of 58 in the points for Mid-Central Region C Superbike. The next race is the last regular season Southeast Region race before the GNF at Roebling Road on September 16th and 17th. Hope to see you there...

Jeffro