1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texas peeps: School me on Waco

Discussion in 'General' started by OGs750, Apr 29, 2017.

1. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

My company has potential role for me to fill in our Texas site that's in McGregor which is ~30min outside of Waco and I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on what it's like in that area. Anything to do other than join the Branch Davidians?

A little background, I'm currently in LA, which isn't as bad as it would seem. There's a ton to do, the weather is perfect year 'round, I live 5 miles from the ocean, I can ride the motorcycle everyday, etc. The shear number of people and the constant traffic can be a pain, but become life after a while and are easily managed. Commuting on a motorcycle is KEY, else you'll waste your life away sitting in traffic.

My biggest problem with the area is the cost to own. Home prices are outrageous unless you move east and don't mind commuting. I make a decent living - one I would have dreamed of having when I lived in Ohio - but it's demoralizing when I realize that I still can't afford anything out here other than a 2 bedroom condo.

So, what's the move? Stay in SoCal and try to make it work or move to Texas, own a home, but live in the middle of nowhere?

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

While we're at it let's hear about Grand Prairie, Texas. Got an opportunity there.

3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I can't speak much on Waco, but Grand Prairie is the anus of the DFW metroplex. Verizon Theater, I presume?

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

He will be right at home.

MachineR1 likes this.
  5. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

McGregor is about 10 min on the west side of Waco, about 10 min north of the northern edge of Ft Hood. Nice old homes, not a shitton of bad weather (it usually starts to form overhead, so you'd get the thunder, not the twisters). Do you like sauerkraut, kolaches, and barbeque?

Waco's a mix of Whack-o and normal big-town, with Baylor U in the middle of IH-35 (the road detours around the stadium). Look on GreatSchools if you need that.

Grand Prairie is the anus of the mid-cities, yes. Lots of 1950's/60's urban blight, fairly high crime, low rents.

6. Chango

Chango Something clever!

The advantage of Grand Prairie is that you can work there but live in one of the other areas of Dallas/Ft Worth.

7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I don't venture much to that area of DFW, but this thread has some input about areas just north of there, FWIW.

8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Don't bring a cult there.

Sweatypants and sdiver like this.
  9. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

There are worse places to be than in a Texas college town and 1/2 way between DFW and Austin. And you would be less than 2 hours from Cresson. Not sure why but I love that track. Additional tracks in Hallett, OK, Houston and College Station(for now). If you are in to it there are also quite a few vineyards to the west of there and down towards Fredricksburg. No shortage of eating and drinking establishments anywhere in the area. Summer gets crazy hot and it can be chilly for a while in the winter. Occasionally there are monsoon level rainstorms but for the most part the weather is pretty good. I enjoy the heat though so take that with a grain of salt.
    It is alot more affordable and way less people than LA but there is alot more distance between fun things to do.

Boman Forklift and hotnail like this.
  10. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

Very nice area imo....clean, great location in Central Texas with everything being within arms reach, yet not too close to feel stuffy! Yes, its hot as heck in the summer....but, I moved here from the midwest to escape crap weather. I love the heat!

11. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Great thing about Texas, 10 months of summer with gals wearing as little as possible. 2 months of hiding indoors because the temps dropped below 70F.

12. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I saw someone in Austin wearing one of these last winter.
    http://www.canadagoose.com/us/en/sn...womens-parkas#cgid=shop-womens-parkas&start=1
    I almost fell over laughing. I am in the Arctic half the year and I do not own anything that warm. It was in a trendy area though so it could have just been bought for bragging rights and snob appeal.

13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

C'mon crashman, you know your blood thins out when living in wonderfully warm Texas. After a few years of that, a cold streak means you need a parka.

Heck I almost needed one on Saturday of MotoGP weekend.:D

14. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Yeah but he's coming from LA

15. twin ty

twin ty Well-Known Member

Texas is great. Weather can be Odd. The temps went from 9o this morning to 66 right now.

5axis likes this.
  16. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I say give it a go, you'll always wonder how life could have gone......unless you have a gaggle of kids who it'll disrupt to move but man, if you're single and your pay will stay the same or go up making the move??? It's a no brainer for me.

Heck didn't Jesse James essentially make the same move and he seems to loooove Tx! :D

Gd luck!

17. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

Texas is closed

backcountryme and panthercity like this.
  18. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

Weather is nothing like Cali, in any sense. I lived in Central Texas for 23 years and I have family in Cucamonga, not even close. you can commute most days on a bike but it's not essential to get around, if the job is in mcgregor and you live in mcgregor, then traffic isn't a problem in any case. Travel times are completely different though, you'll always be traveling at 65+ in all but rush hour traffic which isn't too bad 70-75 is normal so take that into consideration when you look at the distances. If something is 20 miles away it's a half hour max to get there kind of thing. You'll see trees and open land out here so it may be something to get used to if you've lived your whole life in the Inland Empire.

19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I thought everyone there made at least 500k a year? ;)

20. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup:That did not take you long... :D

Bike people are always welcome. They seem to be more level headed and offset the stupid brought in by other groups.

Chaplain45 likes this.