1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texas Coast Vacation Advice?

Discussion in 'General' started by JJJerry, Jan 6, 2020.

1. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

The Austin GP just so happens to be the beginning weekend of my kids spring break. I've talked the wife into heading that way, then heading to the coast for the rest of the week. I've never been to coastal Texas, what's a good spot with good beaches / fun stuff to do between Corpus Christi and Galveston?

2. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

Port Aransas is the best shot IMHO between CC and Galveston. Also just about the shortest trip to the coast from Austin. Texas beaches are all a little lacking unless you really head south towards the border, water and sand gets much nicer.

3. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

From there, lived there, been there, done that.
    The water quality is much better more south around S. Padre Island.
    When the tide is outgoing, all the dirtier water flows out into the sea/ocean/gulf.
    In fact/many beaches are like that. Was really evident around Boynton Beach Fl. when I lived there.

Between the 2 is Surfside- OK beaches, not all that much there however like Galveston, and/or Corpus.
    If you want between the 2, Surfside is it.
    There is Palacious- on Tres Palacious bay, not on the gulf coast, but right next to it in the bay.

Good luck, have fun, I still love TX

G 97 likes this.
  4. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Yep, Port A. is basically the more gulf/beach extention of Corpus which is on it's own bay.

5. JJJerry

Thanks for the direction. I'm fine driving a bit further south if it means a nicer spot. I'll check out Tres Palacios Bay. Doesn't have to be on the bay, just looking for water and sun.

6. d_alexand

d_alexand Well-Known Member

If you don't mind a 6hr drive then South Padre Island is the nicest looking beach like others mentioned.

I usually go to Galveston which is a 4hr drive, its nicer now after the last big rebuild, and the Kemah Boardwalk is nearby. If you plan to rent a beach house spring break is off peak so prices are pretty reasonable.

7. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

South Padre is definitely the best beach/water. I recommend it if the travel is no issue and costs tend to be slightly higher. Kemah Boardwalk is nice, less busy destination for a day. My wife and I stay in a small rental for the two of us off the bay down the road from Kemah twice a year to get away inexpensively.

8. JJJerry

Leaning towards south padre now. The extra drive won't bother us.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  9. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Isn't Spring Break in South Padre all wet t-shirt contests and beer bongs?
    Never been, but that seems to be what is the scene based on publicity.

10. JJJerry

Perfect!

"Sorry babe, I had no idea! What sort of blasphemy is this!?!?"

11. d_alexand

d_alexand Well-Known Member

Make sure you stop at the Buc-ee's in New Braunfels, no trip is complete without a Buc-ee's pit stop.

12. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I keep reading the title as Texas Toast...

13. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Man I'm glad I'm not the only one. :oops:

14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Go to Austin.
    After GP go to airport and fly somewhere else with nice beaches. Im partial to San Diego or USVI myself.

15. 10MM

10MM Action Reaction

No argument on USVI can’t wait to find myself in STX at Rainbow bar, dominoes or cheeseburger in paradise soon ... maybe a Johnny cake and cheese bread for breakfast ... even enjoyed salt fish. A chicken from Chicken Shack, damn that reminds me of my grandfathers backyard chicken.

sorry had a little Cruzan rum this evening

but for Tejas you guys nailed it; Port A or south.

16. Chasbro

Chasbro Well-Known Member

Galveston can be fun. Here's a look at Seawall Boulevard.
    Or go on down to Boca Chica and see the Starship.

17. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

What are you looking to do with what kind of crowd? How old is the kiddo? S. Padre in March will be a drunk fest. The water there can definitely be clearer than Port A but there are also very few waves. S Padre has a very commercial feel, we Made the extra drive down and I swore never again. Definitely not with young kids around Spring Break.

We do a bunch of day trips to Port Aransas from San Antonio, it has my vote hands down. It still has a small town feel with some character...not just high rise condos as far as you can see. You can find the party crowd there but for the most part it will be very family friendly even over Spring Break.

It’s probably booked that week but I have a friend with a house a block off the beach if you’re interested. Hit me up if you go I can point you to some good spots, hell, we’ll probably be there.

Edit...forgot to mention, don’t bother with Corpus unless you want to see the ship or the aquarium. The beach and the rest of the town is an absolute dump.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  18. JJJerry

Good pointers, thanks! My boys are 7 and 9. If SPI is really Panama City-esque that time of year, it's probably not a good fit. I'll keep poking around.

19. rwdfun

rwdfun

OK fun governor. They gotta learn sometime. Leave the wife at home and take me

5axis likes this.
  20. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Folding money says otherwise!

Sabre699 likes this.