1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Temporary fastening to concrete floor

Discussion in 'General' started by tiggen, May 12, 2021.

1. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

I want to temporarily mount a tool stand in the middle of my garage. When I am done working, I want to remove the tool stand to the corner and park my car over where the stand was.

What's the best way to fasten the tool stand? Drill holes and drop threaded inserts? Or is there a better way?

2. BC

BC Well-Known Member

If your not going to be torqueing on it a few tapcons will be fine. Otherwise use lead anchors/inserts

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I picked up a NoMar over the winter and plan on mounting it with threaded inserts, then put some type of plastic cap on the inserts to keep crap out of them.

4. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

What BC said. Tapcon screws would probably be strong enough and easiest to remove. Redheads (wedge anchors)can be removed sometimes, but it's not always easy.

5. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

I would use lead head anchors, newer ones have a Phillips head set pin that can be removed if and when you no longer need them then drill out lead and then fill with concrete patch . Threaded inserts are good but can be difficult to remove when no longer needed unless they are set below grade which is not really possible in a 4” base . Then they can also be covered with a concrete patch .

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

7. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Drop ins

8. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Is this a one time move, or back and forth?

9. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Back and forth.

10. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Brass ones from the pool store

Easy in. Easy out. Make sure to use anti seize

11. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

drop ins would fit the bill perfectly. and that grey duct tape over them when not in use to keep the holes clear. depending on how sturdy you need it, 3/8" or 1/4" drop ins and some allthread through whatever your tool stand foot is. you will need a setting tool to get them to expand properly.

evakat likes this.
  12. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Red head drop in anchors. I have my Nomar in the garage and simply unbolt it any time it's in the way. The drop ins are just below the concrete line.

RonR likes this.
  13. TSWebster

TSWebster Well-Known Member

Tapcons are not really a good solution. After a few times of remounting the tool stand, the tapcon will stop holding.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Inserts. Hands down.

Then grab some stainless bugle head screws to close the holes when the whatsamajigger isn’t being used.

15. As said above, inserts and find some sort of plug (or duct tape :) to keep all the crap out of the hole. Worst case blow the hole out with air before re-installing. Destaco makes some clamps with quick release bases but they are about $75 a pop but they work really good.

16. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

AC1108 likes this.
  17. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

I'd go with the threaded inserts and plug them when not used, probably with button head cap screws.
    Tapcons are one and done, unless you get lucky.