1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tell me about Google Chrome

Discussion in 'General' started by TEAMLIKETYSPLIT, Jan 2, 2014.

1. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

Thinking about getting a couple for the tv's in the house. Give me the low down

2. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

Um? Isn't google chrome the web browser?

3. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

I think he means Chromecast.

Other than that, I have no input :D

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

have it. it's quite limited. you can stream your screen from the laptop (either from the chrome browser, where you can drag videos for example or the experimental mode, showing your dektop)

from the ipad for example, you can only run netflix, youtube and pandora.

android platforms are supposed to offer more, haven't tried it out yet.

but selecting movies over the ipad on netflix instead of the Wii is worth 35 bucks alone...

5. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Integration with Android devices is good and getting better each day. It's cheap so I gave it a shot but I usually prefer just pulling out the HDMI cable out of my laptop.

6. Hailwood

Hailwood Active Member

I really like mine. As others have said, many more apps are adding support, and with Netflix, Hulu, and HBO GO now supporting casting, there's a ton of content available.

7. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

We watched Netflix through the wii the other night and thats when it dawned on me that i'm still living in the 80's :D
    If i can stream netflix and youtube it would be worth it. What is the furthest distance this thing will pic up the signal?

8. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

Ah ok, wasnt aware of chromecast.

Kind of looks like it does a lot of stuff that the xbox does, except for the whole controlling it with an android device. Is that about right or am I missing something???

9. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

OK, I have a Chromecast tech issue. Got one, set it up. It said "ready to cast", but then when I open the Chromecast app on whatever (iphone, Ipad), it says it cannot find it, nor can the device hook up to the wifi signal that the Chromecast was linked to. (even though it actually is on the wifi network).

I reset the Chromecast numerous times, it shows up in the networks during the set up, but then again disappears when I try to actually use it. The network search only finds the other wifi signals and not the Chromecast, which did show up as a network during set up. Once I go through the steps and its ready to go, it disappears again.

Any ideas? Is my description as clear as mud?

10. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

I've been using Chrome as a browser. Added the Chromecast receiver to one of the open HDMI ports on the HD flatscreen. Been streaming MotoGP ever since. Lovin' it!

11. muguvian

muguvian Well-Known Member

Nope, just cheaper than an xBox and with less source options.

You can control the xBox360 with Android using SmartGlass or even XBMC Remote.

12. darylbowden

darylbowden Well-Known Member

As long as both the sender device (your iphone or android whatever) and the chromecast are on the same wifi network, then everything should be good to go.

Only other thing I can think of: if your CC is pretty far from your wifi router, then I would make sure you use the AC adaptor for power instead of just USB, that will help with the range. If that doesn't work, I don't know what else to try.

13. darylbowden

darylbowden Well-Known Member

They work completely differently, but if you just mean do they allow streaming of video content on both platforms, then yes, they both do that.

Both platforms can be controlled with a smartphone based "remote," for XBOX there are smartglass apps for every platform, for CC, you have to just use the app you want to stream from (HBO GO, netflix, etc) and it will "stream" it to your TV.

14. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Just another gizmo in a sea of them that can stream media from different sources.

Anyone else getting pissed of at everything turning into Google? Google Youtube, Google hotmail etc etc. Did they ever think that maybe i dont want everything linked with everything else for ease of my traffic tracking?

15. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

same isssue,, sounds dumb but it fixed ours;
    1. Unplug the Chromecast from both HDMI and USB
    2. Plug the Chromcast into USB and wait for it to boot (1 minute or ... so until the LED flashes in white)
    3. Plug the Chromecast back into the HDMI
    4. Now the screen should show the Chromecast welcome again
    I had also tried to forget the network and re install as a new device, same issue. the plug in steps fixed it.

16. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Privacy is dead. They did think of that, and they don't give a shit about your opinion. :D

Minority Report wasn't fiction, it was a documentary about our future.

I don't know anything about Chromecast. There are roughly 109 competing streaming devices. I have an AppleTV. Just buy whatever you can live with for a few years. They all do different things and lock you out of some things but not others. I like the AppleTV because I can stream MotoGP from my iPad. In 5 - 10 years most of these devices will be gone and we'll have a few dominant players.

Streaming from the Wii is a horrible experience. It's definitely worth buying something else if that's all you have.

17. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Thanks! I did use the TV power supply as the CC power supply, but I will use the AC plug instead. I did put the "extender" on the CC to help with range, as the wifi is in the second story and the TV is on the first. But I will try these tips.

18. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Negative, Ghost Screen. I can stream anything I can get on my Chrome browser using Chromecast the app and Chromecast the device.

19. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I'm about ready to order a Chromecast but this thread has me wondering if it will work. I'm at about the limit of the range on our wireless router. I'm bouncing it about 200 ft. across the road from the shop to the house.
    Sounds like I should I should use the AC power supply. Or should I use a hdmi cable instead and save some frustration ?

20. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Try a range extender. Worked for us when my MIL couldn't get Uverse.