1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Team Hammer replacing Yoshimura

Discussion in 'General' started by redtailracing, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

There's a rumour now that he will be a Yamaha test rider on their European test team.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I doubt that'll happen. I just don't see him pushing a bike hard for no real reason. If it wasn't for the back and spine injury, maybe but all those risks just to be a test monkey? I just don't see it.

OldSchlPunk, VFR#52 and ducnut like this.
  3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I mean it does make sense. Michael Jordan got the same treatment from Suzuki as well. He had the cash to put up but they wouldn't work with him. Amazed he stuck around as long as he did (and CONTINUED with Suzuki) until the end.

ducnut likes this.
  4. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Supporting the team and being the team / title sponsor are not the same thing. If it is factory Yosh Honda SX/MX than that is something different but I don't think that is the case.
    The only manufacturer I see on here is Suzuki:
    http://yoshimura-racing.com/

5. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

The MotoAmerica podcast “Off Track” has a really good interview with Chuck Giachetto discussing this and other aspects of running a team.

jksoft, regularguy and Senna like this.
  6. WANABE RACER

WANABE RACER Well-Known Member

Fong!!

mryammy24, 5axis, VFR#52 and 2 others like this.
  7. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

This was a good listen. The guys do seem a little overly optimistic that guys like Herrin are going to get rides when even the riders are not confident of that at this point, but it’s true that it’s still quite early in the offseason and things are still formulating in the background for a lot of teams.

I would have liked for them to ask Chuck what their biggest expense is and/or what changes he think would bring more teams in.

8. G 97

G 97 Garth

:stupid: Yep

WANABE RACER and VFR#52 like this.
  9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

So it was mentioned elsewhere that Lewis didn't have a contract w/ Hammer for 2020. Does anyone know if Fong and SDK did?

10. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

According to Chuck on the podcast, SDK definitely does. I didn't catch Fong's status.

11. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

I talked to SDK at Homestead back in September and he told me he was racing for Team Hammer on the 600 next year.

12. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

SDK and CU made multiple comments about about him staying with the team for 2020 when he did his Moto2 wildcard. If the stars align, it seems like the goal is for him to win in MotoA in 2020 then head to Moto2 full time.

lopitt85 likes this.
  13. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Ya know the 2 things that don’t sound right anymore are Contracts and American Racing.... Just sad.... really sad...

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I wonder if Yosh will be fire-sale'ing any of Toni/Roger/Josh's bikes. I'm thinking probably no since they are a much higher spec than the older bikes that have ended up getting sold to the public like Mladin's old DMG superbike and Toni and Roger's pre-2017 superbikes (I think boccarp has/had one of those).

15. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Everything was destroyed. Pics on Facebook the other day

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I saw a bit of bodywork and what appeared to be some OEM dirt bikes destroyed. But I have a hard time imagining them doing that with the unobtanium bits. I'm guessing those were probably dismantled and shipped back to Yosh JP (swingarms, clamps, motors, linkages, electronics, etc etc).

17. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I remember watching one of the BSB teams talk about how Yosh had individual serial numbers logged on every part, and they were tracked and returned. I don't think they let anything go unless there is a platform change like the bikes mentioned above.

18. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yup, they were selling Mladin's 2008 bike that he raced at the beginning of 2009 before they had his K9 squared away.....and that thing was basically a SSTK 1000 as dictated by DMG's rules of the time anyway.
    https://www.roadracingworld.com/new...up-available-after-the-races-at-road-atlanta/

Then they sold Roger and Toni's 2016 bikes after they got the new 2017's squared away. Definitely a noticeable amount more goodies than Mladin's old bike up there, but yes it was the older get at that point.
    https://raresportbikesforsale.com/f...1100-factory-yoshimura-superbike-motoamerica/

19. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

You have a link?

20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner