1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tats...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by SPL170db, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I know. I posted and then sat there for a second knowing something was off. Quick stealth (I thought) edit and all was well. :)

G 97 likes this.
  2. superdino

superdino Naturally aspirated twin-turbo

That happened to me in Vegas, can't remember her name tho. Think it was Turmeric. Or maybe Cinnamon.

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I don't think his gripe is necessarily with the practice of getting tattoos in and of itself. I think it has more to do with the circumstances (impulsiveness, lack of reflection) under which they are done. Tattoo'ing has been around for forever I agree, but it hasn't been around forever for everyone. Whether it was done as a symbol of family heritage or rite of passage etc etc. It's definitely a fad for society at large I'd posit. 25 years (which is not a long time in the grand scheme of things) ago the majority of people weren't inked. These days its hard to find a chick that DOESN'T have a tattoo. In fact these days I'm seeing more girls having tattoos than men...and more of them all over their bodies, not a little out of the way star or butterfly. In fact it looks like women are vastly outnumbering dudes, I don't see this as a good thing:
    https://fupping.com/tattooguy/2018/07/13/who-has-more-tattoos-women-or-men/

See, I think when you read the stat in that article...80% of who is walking in to get a tattoo are women, then it starts to seem like there's something more going on here. Why does and entire generation of women all of sudden have this overwhelming compulsion to go and do this?

Britany the cocktail waitress who has 2 fully covered sleeves and a serpent that snakes around her torso and down her leg does not need to get that as a rite of passage into womanhood. A Maori tribesmen does't get blackout drunk on spring break and wake up the next morning with his family's Ta moko....or the same for a Samoan woman's malu.

Granted I'm sure not every (in fact probably most) are trying to culturally appropriate Pacific Islanders traditions when they ink themselves up. I honestly feel like when Brittany, and Taylor and Skyler and Samantha are doing this to themselves its because they feel some sort of compelling factor making them do it to fit in....and sadly I've never in my life looked at a women before and after they got inked and thought....."that cartoon on her leg really enhanced her God given beauty so much."

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  4. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I really like your post and agree with it.
    That being said, this last line implies that their decision to get that work was intended to increase their beauty. I think people get them for tons of different reasons, not always good.

Mine are meaningful really only to me and are covered about 95% of the time.

From board track racer to aircraft to the Flatirons, they are markers for events in my life represented in ways that are meaningful to me, and only me. They are expensive, time consuming, painful, and risky but I love mine and have zero regrets.

Imnotfast likes this.
  5. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

My wife, and thus my, thoughts on tats are... you don’t put bumper stickers on your Ferrari.

I’ll stick with that line of thought. :D

6. Ian178

Ian178 Well-Known Member

I'm trashy enough, I don't need any brands to cement my image.

You guys in the Ferrari's knock yourself out. I've never needed a disadvantage.

7. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

The only tattoo that I've ever respected was the globe and anchor that my site vice president had. He was a true bad ass in the corporate world. One of the few bosses that I've had who I thought earned his position. The rest of the artsy fartsy stuff is just that, why bother?

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Tattoos are bad but fake tits, fake asses, fake lips, botox, facelifts, hair implants, and other body mods are fine? :crackup:

9. G 97

G 97 Garth

What, no vaginoplasty?
    Come on man. :D

StaccatoFan and Steeltoe like this.
  10. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I don't care enough to be concerned about someone's tats, but the above is a good rule to live by.:flag:

11. gixxerreese

gixxerreese Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with tats. Think of it this a few years ago a respectable man would not be caught dead in public in shorts and a tee shirt with a ball cap. That’s was considered inappropriate attire for someone in a high position. Well all I see are rich people walking around in shorts and ball caps. Hell the owner of the company I work for I don’t think I have ever seen him in pants. Point is all this stuff relates to older generations new generations don’t care so much. I don’t give a shit what you do as long as you treat me and everyone with respect do what you want. I would rather have someone with tats on their face as long as they are a respectable person over some clean cut asshole.

beac83 likes this.
  12. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

No. I don't like any of it.

Mild tattoos don't bother me, but the sleeve and full body art, no thanks.

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I don't really like any of those things for the most part if I'm honest, but at the same time I would not categorize breast implants as a fair comparison to tattoo'ing one's self. Reason being is that women are born naturally with breasts. Some big and some small. No one is born naturally with a giant pair of angel wings scribbled on their upper back or a tramp stamp.

Now if a woman is born with disproportionately small breasts (lets say she's 5'11 and 150 lbs with barely A-cups), it can cause her to be self-conscious that she's not "womanly" enough and wants to get implants to balance out her figure and look more proportioned. (I'm not talking about going bonkers and getting G-cups).

Covering yourself with un-natural markings is not the same thing.

Same thing for hair, maybe she's a cancer survivor undergoing chemo and is trying to look more her natural state....totally understandable.

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Same for spandex...if you have to order size XXXL, maybe you should go with another wardrobe choice.

G 97 likes this.
  15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

To summarize, silicone and saline is fine. Ink ain't.

Interesting you bring up cancer survivors since tattoos are fairly popular among breast cancer survivors either symbolically or to augment areolas and nipples. Some artists specialize in this.

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

That's still somewhat reconstructive in the way a screaming death skull or kanji just can't muster.

17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

So, a tattoo is ok so long as you like it? I'm just trying to understand what you guys are saying here lol. Same for breast implants I gather.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

As part of a reconstructive surgery is different than vanity. Not totally of course since wanting to go back to what you used to look like is vanity to an extent but it's still different than just wanting the hey look at me type of stuff - which most breast augmentation and tattoos are. I lump them all together. If you want them more power to you.

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The individual has decided in their mind this is the way they should look. Both cases are purely cosmetic. Same with people who choose to keep their scars instead.