1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talladega GPR 2000

Discussion in 'General' started by blubyu1000, Feb 22, 2000.

1. blubyu1000

blubyu1000 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, just wanted to say that I went to TGPR this past weekend to watch and learn tosee if racing was something I really wanted to get into. I found out I do. I also found out that I do not want to start out on my TL1000R so I'm gonna buy an SV650 to race. So, any info you guys can give me on starting out racing and what I need to do would be helpful. Also, Whose that #7 guy on the GSXR? He's like super fast!!! later

2. Timothy

Timothy Well-Known Member

#7 would be Chris "Opie" Caylor of Team 1-888-fastlap / Marietta Motorsports. He is a super nice guy and as you witnessed this weekend, he can also rule the track! GO OPIE!!!

3. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

You did the right thing by coming out and checking to see what you should start on. Take a racer school then you can get your provisional novice license. Prepare your bike for racing and don't get caught up in that I need this or that to go fast. You are the determining factor in how fast your bike is. And that #7 dude on GSXR's is Chris "Opie" Caylor. Good luck.

4. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

Send suspension off to Max McAllister(?) at Traxxion Dynamics he will make any bike handle better and stock SV needs some help. Better figure on spending at least $2000 [​IMG] to get a bike track worthy though. You will need oil retaining lowers, steering dampner, safety wiring and leathers to get on the track and suspension work to make bike competitive. It is the most fun you will ever have on a motorcycle though so do not be discouraged [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. cb500

cb500 long hair hippie freak

hey
    whats up
    opie was awesome this past week end
    he is the #7
    go by maretta motor sports
    pit and talk to him he is
    one of the nicest guys you can
    meet on the track or pits
    sv is a very good bike to start on
    just remember it is all about corner
    speed. welcome to racing
    you will wish you did it years ago
    that is if your not 15 now
    good luck with getting started
    it takes alot just stick with and you will love it

6. blubyu1000

Thanx for the info guys! [​IMG]

7. dbrown

dbrown New Member

#7 is a turd!!!! You guys need to quit saying he is so fast, he is already a pain at family functions. Rock on Op, your brother-in-law.

8. WERA

WERA Administrator

You've got a point....If Opie's head gets any bigger he's going to need custom made helmets [​IMG]

If he's starts getting too obnoxious we can always take him out behind the track and beat some sense in him...

9. blubyu1000

I think taking him out back and beating him would be a good idea, that is if you could catch him. [​IMG] Man that guy is quick!!!! [​IMG]

10. Timothy

How about those stupid-fast crossed up wheelies coming onto the front straight?

11. blubyu1000

Yea, whats up with those wheelies Opie was doing coming out of turn 8 at TGPR? I was thinking that maybe the bike was geared to low and then someone said, Naw...he always does that, thats just Opie for ya. I thought he was gonna loose it in that first Solo 20 on Saturday>>>got a little shaky on the rear. Rock on Opie!!

12. WERA

WERA Administrator

Should have seen him at the National last year... Have it on the 99 video even - he was trying to go around someone and forgot to do the wheelie so he crashed (okay maybe not doing a wheelie had nothing to do with it but it's a great excuse).

13. Timothy

I guess it's easier to aim the bike if you only have to deal with one contact patch (added Bonus for cool points!) [​IMG]. How about some 100mph stoppies Opie?

14. blubyu1000

Hey...can you purchase the 99 video or is that something just for you guys at WERA? I would like to buy it if its up for grabs.

15. WERA

WERA Administrator

It's for sale (as are the 98, 97 & 96 ones) for 34.95 each. Runs about 1.5 - 2 hr's and is an overview of the National Challenge and National Endurance Series'.

16. blubyu1000

Hey Sean...Did you send me that infopack or what man? And when are you gonna answer my email dude? Just wondering, no hard feelings or anything..I'm just giving you a hard time. [​IMG] later>>>brad

17. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

18. WERA

WERA Administrator

Brad - answered the email and sent the info pack both....

19. blubyu1000

Hey Sean, thanx for sending the info pack but I didn't receive an answer to the latest email I sent you. What I asked was, if I ride the TLR in race school and I enter 2 or 3 races this season on the TLR, can I race a SV650 next season and not enter a single race on the TLR? Just wondering. Thanx again. later>>>>Brad [​IMG]

20. blubyu1000

Sean? Read the above reply by me please. Thanx>>>Brad [​IMG]