1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking kids sightseeing from Vegas. Where to go? California too.

Discussion in 'General' started by zertrider, Nov 17, 2018.

1. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Flying with the wife and kids to Vegas after Christmas for a week. I have no intention of staying in Vegas other than maybe 2 nights, and that is just to show them a couple of sights (the kids are 10). Want to do sightseeing stuff, hiking, different activities. Thought about driving over to Cali for a couple days too. We are just renting a car and going touring. Decided as a family that we did not want to do the Caribbean resort thing this year, so this is something different than just sitting on a beach.
    I know all the usual places, as I have been 6 or 7 times. But still want to take the kids to see Hoover, Red Rock, Valley of Fire, Grand Canyon etc. But also want to get up into the mountains. Kind of flat up here in Ontario, and we all love scenery.

What say the wisest of the beeb?
    Or anyone here for that matter.

WERA 904 likes this.
  2. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

Go on a helicopter tour of strip, hover dam, and Grand Canyon with Maverick Helicopters. Buy tickets in lobby of M&M store they are loads cheaper. To this day one of the coolest things I have done. Also,check out the huge Ferris wheel and maybe hit up K1 Speed for some fart action.

BigBird likes this.
  3. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Yeah the buffet will get you.

cha0s#242, BigBird and SuddenBraking like this.
  4. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I'm not certain on how bad the LV-LA drive would be, but it can be a parking lot fast. If nothing else, do it one way and book a return flight out of LAX, BUR, or SNA.

Have you booked hotels already, or playing it by ear? You may end up paying premium prices, due to the holiday season.

I think more time in the LA basin will give you more possibilities for kid-related activities. Just beware that Christmas Day is the busiest day of the year for Dizzyland.

5. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

When my boy was 9, we did a 10 day trip looping out of Vegas. Couple days in town on both ends. East to Grand Canyon, up through Page, Zion, etc. Next time we'll go west to Death Valley and Yosemite. Loved it!

That said, it seems like a lot of places may close due to winter weather, so maybe options are cut that time of year?

6. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Spearmint Rhino
    Crazy Horse
    Sapphire
    Little Darlings

7. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Yeah not figuring on Zion due to time of year. Not worried about temps too bad as it will still be warmer than home.

Brad likes this.
  8. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

Totally! The kids will love the limo rides!!

BigBird and Wingnut like this.
  9. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

LOL. Should have been kart action

10. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Top golf is fun. Im not sure if kids can go but I’ve done it a few times. Pricey but I could see where it’d be fun for a family.

Neon museum is cool - it’s an old Vegas sign graveyard for lack of better description.

Yosemite is still open, northern CA has gotten no snow so far this year but that can change in a hurry. I know mammoth is supposed to get some this week.

11. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Yep, the chopper we took served lunch on reservation inside the Grand Canyon. It was a great time and one of the highlights for the young.

12. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Death Valley is quite pleasant in the winter. I usually stop by Rhyolite for a bit of ghost town action. A run up into Utah to Zion can be a nice overnighter and the wildlife seems to wander out more with much less human activity going on.

13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Palamino club.
    /thread

14. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Death Valley experience is cool. I drove from LV to LA via DV last September. It never got over 120.

If you make the drive, start out with plenty of water and fuel in the tank. There is a gas station where you can fill up, and places to eat there, but it is only one place. The scenery is pretty incredible. I'm not sure how your kids will feel about it.

If you do a little research and time it right, you can scope out fighter jets scream by.

https://www.businessinsider.com/ap-jets-zip-through-narrow-star-wars-canyon-drawing-visitors-2017-4

I'll post a sample vid in the You Tube thread: http://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/official-youtube-video-thread.215117/page-685#post-5430061

15. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

The highway into Yosemite from the east side will be closed by then, it will still be open from the west side, but it's a long drive around.

16. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Head south about 30 miles to Jean and drive out and do donuts to your hearts content on Jean Dry Lake.
    Then head west to Goodsprings and have a burger at the Pioneer Saloon.

goodsprings pioneer.jpg

zertrider likes this.
  17. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Hikiking trail close to the strip:
    Ice box canyon in red rock state park just off of Charleston ave is a good kid friendly hike. Maybe 2 hours top round trip, in and out. I did it last February and there was plenty of ice and snow in there even though the strip was about 65 degrees.

zertrider likes this.
  18. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Dammit! I knew I forgot one of those places.

19. obakerone

obakerone Active Member

Red Rock alone has many trails and you could try several different ones each day. There are a couple of different gokart places now both indoor and outdoor (fastlap, pole position, mini grand prix, and there is a new one soon to open by Las Vegas Motor Speed way). I know you said this is for the kids but if you have time for yourself there are two companies for you to rent exotic cars and drive them on the track (exotic racing and speed vegas). There is gameworks and dave-n-busters for indoor arcade for everyone. There are ice rinks during the winter. I'll try to think of other things but I'm trying to run out the door at the same time.

20. Eight Screws

Eight Screws Well-Known Member

If you are driving to So Cal the Calico Ghost town just outside Barstow is worth a stop
    Breaks up the drive and last time I took my niece & nephew who around the same age they had a good time