1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

swingarm angle

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Harp, May 19, 2006.

1. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

Anyone know what a good starting point for swingarm angle would be on an 04/05 GSXR 750?

2. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

How about the effects of adding or removing swingarm angle on handling and/or traction?

3. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

12-15 degree's is the ballpark I remember. I'm not sure about that specific model though.

4. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Speaking generally I have heard 12.5 degrees as a starting point. I have no idea about your specific bike though. The angle is measured with the suspension topped out with the tires just touching the ground.

5. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

Is there an easy way to measure swingarm angle in your garage without any complicated tools? Off hand I'm thinking I have a laser level, tape measure, 12 pack of Natty Light..... I should be able to do this.

How do most do it?

6. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Harbor Freight sells an angle finder for pretty cheap. I am not sure how accurate it is though. A more common use for this tool is setting up satelite dishes.

7. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

I measured my swingarm angle by measuring the center-to-center length from the swingarm pivot to the rear axle, then the distance to the ground from from both. With these three measurements you can create a right triangle, from which it is easy to calculate the swingarm angle.

Its hard to explain, but if you draw it out on paper, you'll see that it's not too complicated.

Mine calculated out at 12.5 degrees. I've added 4mm eye-to-eye on my shock since then, but haven't recalculated yet, but obviouslly the swingarm angle is greater. It feels like the I'm getting better traction, but time will tell.

8. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Is that angle with you on the bike??
    I would think the angle is more important in "race/riding" mode than static.

9. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

The angle is measured with the suspension fully extended (e.g. pegs on jack stands).

10. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I agree. This removes spring rate variables to will influence the swingarm angle on the track.

11. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

""The angle is measured with the suspension fully extended (e.g. pegs on jack stands).""

I guess that you could then, calculate the spring rate at different moments of inertia and graph out what the swingarm angle would be, add to this the riders weight in riding gear, along with that extrapolation you could generate a chart of numbers that were pleasant to the taste of the rider.....:)

12. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

I'll just have to trust you on this... :)

For my purposes, I was simply looking for a baseline to work from. I need to measure it again after making the changes that one of our local suspension gurus suggested as it's hard to estimate the %change in swingarm angle when both the front and rear ride height have been changed -- we added 3mm of height in the front and 4mm in the rear.

13. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

That's the problem with the world today, EVERYONE'S the next Maxx.

14. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

No actually not EVERYONE...:)
    I have watched Max's DVD though and did learn alot, also learned alot from Mike, as he has been working with Matt for almost 4 years now.:)
    Also you have to pick up on the humor of how I phrased the reply..sorry but I am after all a SmartAss.

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I just wanna be me :D

16. YamRZ350

Didn't see the humor there huh?

Sorry Mr. Lynn, no harm meant.

17. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

None taken,
    Mongo you are a LARGE YOU...BBQ??

Where IS Max when ya need him?

18. YamRZ350

19. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I know what you refering to..:) I am old not dead.

I was making a funny about the "Sweet #'s"....:) Get it, "extrapolation you could generate a chart of numbers that were pleasant to the taste of the rider"...

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well if nothing else you ARE funny looking :D