1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sway Control

Discussion in 'General' started by omatter34, Nov 14, 2018.

1. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

What are you guys using for the sole purpose of sway control. When I bought my 27' toy hauler I was towing it with a 1/2 ton, so I went with the Equalizer for load leveling and sway control. Now I have had my 2500 for a few years and would like to transition to just sway control since the truck has no problem with the weight.

2. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Keep it and just adjust the weight distribution down. Equalizer is a top notch hitch IMO. I’ve got one in the shop I need to get rid of since I don’t see myself getting to the track anytime soon.

3. omatter34

Did this for the last 3 years, but I am tired of dealing with getting it hooked up and storing it in the garage when not in use.

4. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

When I upgraded from a 1/2 ton to a 2500 I just eliminated the weight distribution/ anti sway hitch all together. I just went with a three ball adjustable height hitch haven’t had a problem since and a lot easier to hook and unhook.

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

27' is a lot of sail if it gets windy.

NemesisR6 and omatter34 like this.
  6. omatter34

I do this for short trips sometimes, but I like the piece of mind that having something in place for sway control gives me.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I stopped drinking. :moon: :beer:

omatter34 and JJJerry like this.
  8. stymie12000

stymie12000 Well-Known Member

I started drinking! Helps a lot! Haha

9. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

This.

If it were a 24' trailer or less, I would consider maybe not having to use sway control on a 1/2 ton, but with a heavy crosswind that 27' is going to want to twist and upset that TV.

10. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

tongue weight, tongue weight, tongue weight...
    The leading cause of sway is the lack of tongue weight.

G Dawg likes this.
  11. omatter34

I have never had any issues when towing it short distances without the Equalizer on my 2500, but want something easier to use for peace of mind when going on longer trips. I am just tired of dealing with the Equalizer when I don't need it for the load leveling anymore. It also helps that my brother is in the market for an Equalizer and I could sell mine to him immediately.

12. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Mine is 26 overall and about 7500 pounds fully loaded never had an issues. I’ve towed mine all over the east coast and mid west

13. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

here's what i use on my roadrace trailer ... can use without leveling bars, but do need the sway leveling hitch setup to hook the truck side of the sway bar to.
    [​IMG]

omatter34 likes this.
  14. omatter34

That's one that I was looking at.