1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swapping a 17+ R6 motor onto a 08-16 chassis/harness (??)

Discussion in 'Tech' started by JTRC51, Mar 16, 2020.

1. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

Looking for some help/guidance - So I know the motor's are essentially the same, I have noticed a difference in that the 08-16 motor has a speed sensor in the block and the 17+ motor does not. the 17+ motor does not have an area to plug in the speed sensor (as I know that is driven by the wheel sensors/ABS/TC) While I know that this isn't "needed".. If I wanted to put a 17+ motor into an 08-16 chassis/harness, I essentially lose the function of the speed sensor (MPH/Odometer reading) and I am wondering if there is any way around this (other than splitting the cases and using the 08-16 case on the 17 motor :( )?

The 17+ has a gear selection sensor and no speed sensor but I know I would not be able to tie into this with the 08-16 harness to get speed reading, so how are you all that have done this swap making it work? I hope I make sense in my explanation :)

08-16:
    Screenshot_20200316-222730_Gallery.jpg

17+:
    Screenshot_20200316-222751_Gallery.jpg

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  2. JTRC51

Anyone ever ran across this??

3. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

I would sell the 17 motor and buy a 08-16 if you need the speedometer to function. Odds are you'll get more for the 17.

4. JTRC51

I sold the 18 motor to someone that was going to put it in their 14. We were looking at the differences and that was one of them (others were small plug caps that are different). I know the speedo is not needed but I was just wondering who here had managed to install a 17+ motor and ran into this.