1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV650 vs FZ07 ergonomics

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Dr. Pete, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Dr. Pete

Dr. Pete Member

Hey Im looking for input from anyone who has ridden both the SV and the FZ set up for track. I'm 6' and about 210 lbs and I'm interested in which has better ergonomics for me. I've ridden a KTM RC 390 and it was too tight for me and it was difficult to tuck all the way in. I've also ridden an R6 and R1 and found them much more appropriately sized. I'm concerned that the FZ may be smaller and more compact than the SV. Or that both may be too compact. What are your impressions of the relative size. Also since we are here how is the FZ on the track? I notice a lot of people got them and then declare after one season that they are going in another direction or "dont have time to ride" but have posted WTB for a 600...

Thank you

2. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I have not ridden the FZ, but at 6'1 and 180lb, I fit pretty well on 1st and 2nd Gen SVs. Yeah my elbows are outside my knees, but that is just the way it goes with most any sport bike and a 34" inseam. My 2003 R1 is one of the rare exceptions to that.

3. Dr. Pete

Dr. Pete Member

Thanks man. Really looking for input. I appreciate it.

4. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

I'm 6"3" and 230lbs and fit just fine on a first gen SV. Yeah I'm all elbows and knees sticking out going down the straight, but otherwise I have no issues and that's doing 45minutes stints during an endurance race.

[​IMG]

5. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

I currently own and race a first gen SV. I have also ridden a pretty trick FZ.

At 5'6" I'm not sure how this will compare to you, but the FZ put a lot of weight on my shoulders and hands. I could not get comfortable on it. I also like to ride in the bike and not on it. The FZ puts you up high, where as my SV has a shaved seat and I feel more connected to it.

I also feel the FZ is hot garbage. After ridding one, I realize why people sell them after a season of ownership. I'm not saying you can't go fast on one, but it was a ton of work to ride and not really fun. I think the FZ will offer you a little more room reaching to the bars, but I would go with a different platform altogether.

JCW likes this.
  6. Dr. Pete

Dr. Pete Member

Tjnyzf and Dave675, thank you both for passing on what you’ve learned. I’m close to picking a twin and am glad to hear you both were comfortable on your bikes. A wise friend of mine said that I’m having such a tough time making a choice because there isn’t a wrong choice. I’d still like to take the best option for me! Anyone else w/ a negative experience on either the FZ or the SV? I appreciate your input.

7. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

2nd gen sv probably most comfortable for you.

8. Gravisman

Gravisman Well-Known Member

I haven’t ridden an SV but did spend a day on a fully built FZ. One of my biggest comments on it was actually that I liked the ergonomics. I’m 5’10” and most of my riding life has been on a 600, so the engine character was way different than what I was used to, but the physical feeling of the bike was great to me.

9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

1st Gen SV owner, here. I’d suggest waiting to try an RS660.

Newyork likes this.
  10. Dr. Pete

Dr. Pete Member

I've strongly been considering the RS 660. I think it will be a great bike and am fairly confident that I'll be comfortable w/ it on track. I'm hoping that its not a small bike.
    I went so far as to contact the dealer to put a deposit down, however they weren't clear if there were additional dealer costs to install the items like the GP shift over the quoted price on the preorder website.

ducnut likes this.
  11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

From what I can see of pics and videos, it’s not as tight as the earlier SV’s. However, the latest SV is a lot more roomy, if the RS doesn’t tickle your fancy.

@Robby-Bobby might have some input on the dealer upcharges.

12. mgiossi

mgiossi Well-Known Member

I'm 6" and 200lbs and I love my sv. I came from racing 600s and when I first got on the sv I actually hated it. It didnt feel anything like my 600 but once I made afew changes (biggest thing was raising the seat) I got very comfortable. Now it feels like home. As for the rs660 if it is what ever one thinks its going to be at least the price of the sv and fz07 are going to drop like a stone. Might want to wait for that to happen lol

13. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Man, I was wondering that too. Thanks for your insight...

14. Chango

Chango Something clever!

My only negative experience with my 2003 SV is that it highlights just how slow I really am on track. That's not the bike's fault though.