1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV650 Tires - Power RS or Q3+

Discussion in 'General' started by FZ1guy, Jun 10, 2019.

1. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

My son rides advanced trackdays. He had been outriding his Dunlop Q3's especially in real hot days. (They get greasy). He liked the Q3+ better, but I'd like to find him a better tire. I'm thinking of trying the Power RS. It's what I run on my R6 and am pretty happy on them.

There aren't a lot of choices in 120/60 and 160/60

What says the beeb? Thanks y'all.

2. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

If it was me...120/70 and slicks.

I thought the q3 was a better overall tire than the rs (not a lot of time on either though) Once I went to slicks I never looked back.

although I have a lot of time on SVs, I am not fast, so I defer to the fast guys. :)

3. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

Thanks for the reply, ineedanap.
    I thought about fitting a 70 series, and dropping the forks if necessary. but there is still the issue of limited availability on the 160/60 rear.
    What slicks do you like?

4. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

I had a lot of luck with pirelli superbike sc1/sc2 on my second gens. When I was riding dave675’s 1st gen we ran power slicks/dots and they were good too. Felt different on the brakes but otherwise pretty similar from a confidence standpoint.

Not sure about availability of the 160. Both might require a gsxr rear, but that is the better setup anyway.

Again...treat this as the ramblings of a not fast guy.

5. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I just put a set of Pirelli Superbike slicks on my SV for Advanced tack days. They are available in a 160 rear. I run SC1 front and SC2 rear. I ran the SC2 / SC2 on my 2003 R1 so thought I would give them a go on the SV. So far so good. They don't look to be wearing much at all after two days, particularly compared to how fast the rear wears out my on my R1. :D

Kirby Wadle likes this.
  6. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

OK, this sounds like what I might need. Bad thing is, he doesn't have warmers (yet). I've only run Pirelli's once, I won a set of Rosso Corsa's that are currently on my R6. I think I like my old Power Cups better, but the Pirelli's seem to wear better. I say that after only one day on them. So how would I decide which Pirelli slick to run, SC1 or SC2? From Pirelli's website, it looks like I would want SC1/SC1. Tire wear on a SV is nothing to worry about. We ride in the southeast, so hot track temps are a factor. Thanks again.

7. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Pirelli Slicks. Blue front, green rear

8. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

What grasshopper said, but not having warmers is a factor. The new Prielli Diablo Supercorsa TD tire may be just what you are looking for since you don't have warmers. It is available in a the 160 size from a Pirelli race tire vendor.

ducnut likes this.
  9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

We ran the 4 hour last year at PIRC on the Power RS (on an SV) due to limited choices available. They didn't have the ultimate grip of real race tires, but they weren't terrible and held up great. More than good enough for any trackday use.

10. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

If you're running a 60 series front tire instead of a 70, I wouldn't be worried about maintaining the integrity of your current geometry numbers. Put a 120/70 on and it'll just be better. Change things after you realize how much better a tire a 120/70 is.

There are no concerns regarding availability of the 160/60 as far as Pirelli is concerned. Pirelli has it available as a race slick and a race DOT (both in multiple compounds), in a TD tire, rains and multiple street channel tires. James Bock at Podium Motorsports is your local Pirelli slinger in the SE.

11. metricdevilmoto

If you're running a 60 series front tire instead of a 70, I wouldn't be worried about maintaining the integrity of your current geometry numbers. Put a 120/70 on and it'll just be better. Change things after you realize how much better a tire a 120/70 is.

There are no concerns regarding availability of the 160/60 as far as Pirelli is concerned. Pirelli has it available as a race slick and a race DOT (both in multiple compounds), in a TD tire, rains and multiple street channel tires. James Bock at Podium Motorsports is your local Pirelli slinger in the SE.

terminus est likes this.
  12. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

13. metricdevilmoto

14. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I was skeptical the first 2 times, but that third post convinced me!

j cal, Shocker, Sabre699 and 8 others like this.
  15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

So, if he's running a 60 series front tire instead of a 70, should he worry about his geometry numbers?

Wheel Bearing, Mot Okstef and rd49 like this.
  16. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Racing is expensive... Suck it up and buy warmers

17. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Don’t forget a loud ass HF generator too :beer:

ducnut, notbostrom and Mot Okstef like this.
  18. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

And a 3' screwdriver! :D

19. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

And a double bubble and brembo

Mot Okstef likes this.
  20. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

I love Michelin tires but the Power RS has been a disappointment for me and what I've seen from it. Using it as a street/track tire (which I guess to be fair is what it's marketed as) it does a pretty decent job and I would have no issues recommending it for that usage. The problem is it really can't handle once the pace is turned up, and I've seen many of them destroyed in short order running high I group to A group pace. If you're already having issues with Q3's going off I wouldn't recommend the Power RS as a step up.