1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV650/SV1000 fuel tanks interchangeable?

Discussion in 'General' started by metricdevilmoto, Apr 22, 2013.

1. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

What tanks are interchangeable between the SV1000 and SV650?

More specifically, what SV650 tanks will fit an 03 SV1000? Pumps different? Interchangeable?

Thanks.

2. metricdevilmoto

Based on the fiche and cross referencing the part numbers, it seems like any second gen SV650 tank will work on the SV1000. Sound right?

3. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

yes. tanks are same. Not 100% for sure but I believe 03 and 04 sv650 has 3 pin plug for fuel pump, 05 and up use 4 pin.

4. metricdevilmoto

Thanks man.

I'll be using the original SV1000 pump. The tank was crumpled, but the pump survived.

5. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

03 SV1000 tanks have a different mount where the tank bolts to the tank bracket. It is wider than later models and will not fit inside the subframe. I cut the mount using a jig saw and metal blade, worked fine for me.

6. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know if all Gen1 SV650 tanks are the same?

I have a damaged silver 99 tank (street bike), and I want to know if a silver tank from another Gen1 model year will match it.

7. metricdevilmoto

I'll have to wait until I'm back in the shop tomorrow to double check what you're saying. Stranded in Austin for the day because Delta likes to ruin my life.

So the 03 SV1000 uses a different mount, but the tanks are the same?

The subframe going on the bike (which is an 03 SV1000) is a SV1000 piece that's supposed to fit 03-07 SV1000 and SV1000S.

8. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

The 03 model is different. 04-up are just regular 2nd Gen 650 tanks.

The subframe for the 03 will not work on the 04's unless you change seats and the like.

9. Chris13

Chris13 Which lever is the Brake?

I did the same thing.

10. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

not to thread jack, but I need a 2nd gen SV650 tank if anyone knows of a non-crashed one.

11. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

that's right. Good catch Dave. the 03 tanks on the 650 and 1000 have to be trimmed to be used with the 04 and up subframes. involves trimming of the sheet metal down by the mount. takes about 10 minutes..

12. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Yes. Only difference you may come across is if you get a CA model tank. It'll have extra emissions crap that you can just plug (vents).

Edit- if you're asking about color matching, I'm not sure.

13. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Actually, I'm trying to avoid straightening my tank AND matching the paint.